Votes
JC Hoyos
  • Berkeley, CA
Votes |
First-Time Multi-unit Owner in Berkeley - need referrals for CPA and RE Lawyers

JC Hoyos
  • Berkeley, CA
Posted Dec 28 2023, 23:20

Hi! My wife and I just closed on a triplex in Berkeley, CA. While renovations are ongoing I'm looking for CPA and RE law advice.

Any referral much appreciated. Remote is OK (no need to be local) as long as they're specialized in CA.

User Stats

Votes
Katie Balatbat
  • CPA and Attorney
  • San Diego, attorney
Votes |
  • CPA and Attorney
  • San Diego, attorney
Replied Dec 29 2023, 08:47

@JC Hoyos

Congrats!  Quite a feat, so you should be proud.  What types of questions are you looking to have answered?  Especially for the law aspect, real estate law spans a great variety of areas of law, often handled by several different types of attorneys.  For example, someone who handles an eviction is not likely to also assist on a 1031 exchange.  Leases?  Title issues?  Estate planning?  Tax planning?  Liability protection?  I know several CPAs in the San Diego and surrounding areas; feel free to send me a message if interested.

*This post does not create an attorney-client or CPA-client relationship.  Readers are advised to seek professional advice.

User Stats

Votes
Sean O'Keefe
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Dec 30 2023, 09:42
Quote from @JC Hoyos:

Hi! My wife and I just closed on a triplex in Berkeley, CA. While renovations are ongoing I'm looking for CPA and RE law advice.

Any referral much appreciated. Remote is OK (no need to be local) as long as they're specialized in CA.

Congrats, I’m based in the Bay Area and know several real estate Lawyers that could help. DM me if you’d like a referral.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
JC Hoyos
  • Berkeley, CA
Votes |
  • Berkeley, CA
Replied Dec 31 2023, 08:07
Quote from @Katie Balatbat:

@JC Hoyos

Congrats!  Quite a feat, so you should be proud.  What types of questions are you looking to have answered?  Especially for the law aspect, real estate law spans a great variety of areas of law, often handled by several different types of attorneys.  For example, someone who handles an eviction is not likely to also assist on a 1031 exchange.  Leases?  Title issues?  Estate planning?  Tax planning?  Liability protection?  I know several CPAs in the San Diego and surrounding areas; feel free to send me a message if interested.

*This post does not create an attorney-client or CPA-client relationship.  Readers are advised to seek professional advice.

Thanks! Question on estate and tax planning + landlord/tenant relations. Berkeley is super tenant friendly so any advice on how to ensure I get airtight lease agreements or approach tenants smartly would be appreciated. One of my tenants is section 8, so there is that too.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jan 6 2024, 13:13

Hi JC. I just closed on a triplex in Oakland. I would love to connect as it seems are we on a very similar journey. I am a real estate lawyer but am not well-versed on landlord tenant laws in our area so need guidance just like you. I have two tenants right now and would love to get one of them qualified for section 8. Please DM me if you are interested in talking more.

User Stats

Votes
Sean O'Keefe
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Jan 6 2024, 14:36
Quote from @Ben Clack:

Hi JC. I just closed on a triplex in Oakland. I would love to connect as it seems are we on a very similar journey. I am a real estate lawyer but am not well-versed on landlord tenant laws in our area so need guidance just like you. I have two tenants right now and would love to get one of them qualified for section 8. Please DM me if you are interested in talking more.

@Ben Clack Nice, we should also connect!