Skip to content
Managing Your Property

User Stats

Votes
De-An Watkins
Votes |
Self-Manage Property I live in (Pros/Cons)

De-An Watkins
Posted Dec 30 2023, 22:03

Hello everyone! I bought a quad in my personal name as I am using my VA loan and will be living on site. I have a Property Management Business and would like to self manage to get the experience. Should I let the tenants know I'm the Property Manager or should I keep it anonymous since I'm on site? Should I not self manage since I'm on site? Pros and cons. Would love to hear your thoughts and experiences!

Thanks for your input 

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Dec 31 2023, 05:53
Quote from @De-An Watkins:

I don't believe in lying about who you are. If you tell the tenants you are just the manager and they later find out the truth, it could come back to bite you. Be honest, but set boundaries as to how they communicate with you and when.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Chris Rich
Property Manager
  • Property Manager
  • Orlando, FL
Votes |
Property Manager
  • Property Manager
  • Orlando, FL
Replied Jan 3 2024, 08:26
Quote from @De-An Watkins:

Hello everyone! I bought a quad in my personal name as I am using my VA loan and will be living on site. I have a Property Management Business and would like to self manage to get the experience. Should I let the tenants know I'm the Property Manager or should I keep it anonymous since I'm on site? Should I not self manage since I'm on site? Pros and cons. Would love to hear your thoughts and experiences!

Thanks for your input 

Since you are living on site I would tell them who you are, I agree with Nathan, you do not want to lie to them.  You are also going to be able to better manage the properties yourself since you do live on site.  

With that said, set boundaries with the tenants.  Once they know you are the landlord and you are close, they may come to you for "emergencies" that are not emergencies.  Keep it professional and establish the expectations. 

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.