Managing two NYC apartment buildings

Managing two NYC apartment buildings

Investor · Manhattan · Member since 2018 · 55 posts · 35 votes

Good morning.

I will be responsible for collecting rent and paying bills for two small apartment buildings. Are there any recommended platforms for collecting rents online? Also, what software do managers use to keep track of their P&Ls? 

Sincerely,


Jonathan Beaumont

1Reply
105 views

Most Popular Reply

Property Manager · Waterville ME · Member since 2020 · 43 posts · 39 votes
10mo

@Jonathan Beaumont 

Could you share a bit more about how many units are in those apartment buildings?

If it’s just around 4 units or fewer, I honestly wouldn’t bother with a property management software. You can have tenants pay you directly via ACH and track everything in a simple Google Sheet.

For something around 10+ units, you can still manage with a spreadsheet, but I’d recommend adding QuickBooks with the Bill Pay option — it’s budget-friendly and adds a nice layer of functionality.

Once you’re managing 20+ units, that’s when I’d start looking into dedicated software like AppFolio, Buildium, or similar tools to streamline things further.

If you need help, I can show you the way how we are setup as well, If it help you give a perspective. 

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Abel CurielBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Queens, NY · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10mo
    Quote from @Jonathan Beaumont:

    Good morning.

    I will be responsible for collecting rent and paying bills for two small apartment buildings. Are there any recommended platforms for collecting rents online? Also, what software do managers use to keep track of their P&Ls? 

    Sincerely,


    Jonathan Beaumont


     Hello Jonathan,

    Have you checked out Hemlane?

    Also, if you check out the "Manage Properties" section here on BiggerPockets, you'll find info on the Rent Redi and Baseline platforms.

    All the best!

    Abel

    REbuild Team - eXp Realty5234 Reviews
  • Property Manager · Waterville ME · Member since 2020 · 43 posts · 39 votes
    10mo

    @Jonathan Beaumont 

    Could you share a bit more about how many units are in those apartment buildings?

    If it’s just around 4 units or fewer, I honestly wouldn’t bother with a property management software. You can have tenants pay you directly via ACH and track everything in a simple Google Sheet.

    For something around 10+ units, you can still manage with a spreadsheet, but I’d recommend adding QuickBooks with the Bill Pay option — it’s budget-friendly and adds a nice layer of functionality.

    Once you’re managing 20+ units, that’s when I’d start looking into dedicated software like AppFolio, Buildium, or similar tools to streamline things further.

    If you need help, I can show you the way how we are setup as well, If it help you give a perspective. 

  • Drew SygitBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    10mo

    Doorloop, Hemlane, Innago, RentRedi, Stessa, Avail, Apartments.com, TenantCloud, TurboTenant, Buildium

  • Investor · Manhattan · Member since 2018 · 55 posts · 35 votes
    10mo

    @Srinivasa Subramanian 

    In total, it's going to be 3 units that I will collect from. I realized it's probably not worth getting a property manager. I do want to look for an easy way to collect rent. I would much rather collect through ACH; I do not like dealing with cash. I would love to see your setup.

  • Property Manager · Waterville ME · Member since 2020 · 43 posts · 39 votes
    10mo

    @Jonathan Beaumont I'm good to show you our existing setup. You can text me at 207-477-5889 and we can schedule a time that works for you. I operate in Maine and work pretty much during the day eastern time. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.