Learning to Manage Property

Learning to Manage Property

Rental Property Investor · Member since 2019 · 27 posts · 5 votes

I am weeks away from closing on my first duplex.

I would like to work with a property manager to learn how to properly manage my duplex.

I have no property managing experience so how do I create value for a them, so that I may be able to work with and learn from them?

Thank you!

0Reply
81 views

Most Popular Reply

Tracy StreichPro Member
Real Estate Broker · Tulsa- OKC Oklahoma · Member since 2017 · 868 posts · 801 votes
5y

@Filip Reutov  just my 2 cents.   As a property manager I am looking for clients that want me to manage their properties in my system.   Not teach you to manage your property.   You hire me as the PM to free up your time not make my job harder by babysitting you.   Now, please here me out,  There are plenty of places to educate yourself it you do want to self manage.  These forums and podcast here are very helpful.  You  can be successful and manage them on your own.  You just need to decide if you are doing it yourself or paying someone else.   I just think if you hire a PM and expect them to train you, not manage your properties, you will end up very frustrated and disappointed.    

See this reply in the discussion

18 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Property Manager · Lindenhurst, IL · Member since 2016 · 854 posts · 506 votes
    5y

    I think many professional property managers (those who manage other people's properties) will hesitate to help you beyond giving you very generic and basic information due to the fact that most of them are licensed.

    The best bet might be to network with local landlords and get some advice from them. A lot of landlords love to help other landlords. 

    Also, regardless of what you ended up doing, education on your own is very important also. They are reading books, understanding federal, state, and local laws, etc. 

    Also, get forms ready, have a lit of vendors, have processed from start to finish, and there's more of course.

  • Kenneth GarrettPro Member
    Investor · Florida Panhandle/Illinois · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    5y

    @Filip Reutov

    I self manage all of my properties. I had no experience when I started. I listened to a lot of podcast and read books and I felt I knew enough. I still learned a great deal, but managing yourself is the best way to learn and you can pay yourself the pm fee for your own time. It's the best way to learn. Have an attorney on your team so you can ask legal questions and use this site to ask questions. In my experience, if the property is in good condition and you select good tenants it takes very little time to manage. The most time you will spend is filling a unit. Most important aspect is screening tenants. Make sure your rent is at market rent or just under. Compare your unit to your competition. Depending on your market it's not that difficult. I typically can fill most of my SFR with 2 weeks sometimes less. My small multi-units take a little longer.

  • Cameron TopePro Member
    Property Manager · Katy, TX · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    Hey Filip,

    Like @Kenneth Garrett, I didn't know anything when I started. I definitely didn't think I would be in property management! 

    One of the most important/difficult tasks is finding quality tenants. If you can work with a great leasing agent, that will eliminate the majority of issues before they start. 

    I put some free information together to help owners who want to self manage. If you send me a DM, I'll send you the link. 

    Best of luck!

    Cam

  • Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    @Filip Reutov in most cases, if the property is near where you live, you’ll gain a wealth of experience managing it yourself.

    The best book I’ve read about it is the Brandon Turner “Managing Rental properties”. Second, read and understand your state/city laws as each have their own twists and turns.

    If you do want to hire a PM, make sure you interview them, do your due diligence, and understand their fee structure. There are a lot of mediocre PMs out there.

  • Rental Property Investor · Oklahoma City, OK · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 694 votes
    5y

    @Filip Reutov

    The best place to start is with books and podcasts!

    Brandon Turner’s book and Buy It, Rent It, Profit are the best for beginners in my opinion!

    Also make sure you know your state landlord laws!

    For the most part if you know the law, use Cozy or Zillow for leasing, and are part of a landlord meetup you can wing it!

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2019 · 27 posts · 5 votes
    5y

    @Alyssa Dyer

    Awesome, appreciate your feed back as well as everyone else’s. Winging it is the best thing I know how to do

  • Rental Property Investor · Oklahoma City, OK · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 694 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Filip Reutov:

    @Alyssa Dyer

    Awesome, appreciate your feed back as well as everyone else’s. Winging it is the best thing I know how to do

    lmao. You and me both! 

  • San Francisco · Member since 2020 · 13 posts · 3 votes
    5y

    @Kenneth Garrett @Cameron Tope @Alyssa Dyer Are any of the properties that you manage out of state? I am close to closing on my first out of state deal and I am trying to get a feel for if this is a good idea.

  • Tracy StreichPro Member
    Real Estate Broker · Tulsa- OKC Oklahoma · Member since 2017 · 868 posts · 801 votes
    5y

    @Filip Reutov  just my 2 cents.   As a property manager I am looking for clients that want me to manage their properties in my system.   Not teach you to manage your property.   You hire me as the PM to free up your time not make my job harder by babysitting you.   Now, please here me out,  There are plenty of places to educate yourself it you do want to self manage.  These forums and podcast here are very helpful.  You  can be successful and manage them on your own.  You just need to decide if you are doing it yourself or paying someone else.   I just think if you hire a PM and expect them to train you, not manage your properties, you will end up very frustrated and disappointed.    

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2019 · 27 posts · 5 votes
    5y

    @Tracy Streich

    Thanks for the feedback!

    Do you invest yourself?

    Recently I’ve been thinking of starting up a PM business, managing my own and other properties so I don’t have to give away portion of my profits. Would that be a savvy move or would I be taking on too much and not give myself enough time to do more investing?

  • Cameron TopePro Member
    Property Manager · Katy, TX · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Julian Inoue:

    @Kenneth Garrett @Cameron Tope @Alyssa Dyer Are any of the properties that you manage out of state? I am close to closing on my first out of state deal and I am trying to get a feel for if this is a good idea.

    Hey Julian,

    Do you mean manage properties out of Houston or manage Houston properties for out of state owners?  

  • San Francisco · Member since 2020 · 13 posts · 3 votes
    5y

    @Cameron Tope Sorry for not being clear. I mean managing properties out of state in general. Not specific to Houston.

  • Cameron TopePro Member
    Property Manager · Katy, TX · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Julian Inoue:

    @Cameron Tope Sorry for not being clear. I mean managing properties out of state in general. Not specific to Houston.

    No worries! We only manage in the greater Houston area, as well as a few of my personal properties in Ohio.  

  • Rental Property Investor · Miami, FL · Member since 2021 · 9 posts · 6 votes
    5y

    @Cameron Tope please send that to me as well!

  • Cameron TopePro Member
    Property Manager · Katy, TX · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Justin Shulman:

    @Cameron Tope please send that to me as well!

    Just send me a DM and I'll send it over! 

  • Rental Property Investor · Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2019 · 23 posts · 21 votes
    5y

    @Julian Inoue I am currently managing my rental property from out of state.  I started with it as a house hack and got to know some of the tenants/neighbors.  I have been managing from out of state since May and experienced turnover in 3 out of the 5 rooms which has gone smoothly.

    My biggest recommendations are to have clear expectations and communication with the tenant about what expectations are.  It also helps to have someone you trust (neighbor, handyman, RE Agent, etc.) in the area who can check on the house just in case anything goes wrong.

    I have used Craigslist, FB marketplace, and Zillow to list the property and have been able to screen all tenants.  The most important thing is to get the right tenants in the property so that you know they will take care of it and pay rent on time.  

    Send me a DM if you have any other specific questions!

  • Member since 2020 · 5 posts · 5 votes
    5y

    @Cameron Tope

    I'm also just starting to manage my own property, I closed 3 weeks ago and am painting and getting ready. Can you also please send me that info!!

  • Cameron TopePro Member
    Property Manager · Katy, TX · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Lee Snyder:

    @Cameron Tope

    I'm also just starting to manage my own property, I closed 3 weeks ago and am painting and getting ready. Can you also please send me that info!!

    For sure Lee! Just send me a DM and I'll send it right over! 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.