PM literally harassing me - KC

15 Replies

Hi everyone, 

I recently bought a property in KC this year which as tenanted while the COE. The seller let me know 15 days after COE that the tenant is breaking the lease and leaving the next month, they also did not pay the rent for that month. It took the PM 3 months to do the repairs/cleaning/market and get a tenant. During this time they have been charging me ~$200 per month for lawn care, and absurd other expenses. 

The seller has been unusually involved with things even after selling the property to me - they let me know today that there was no hot water and they had to replace the heater, and are charging me ~$700. I am so confused with everything. Any inputs/insights form you all would be helpful on how to deal with this situation. 

Thank you!!

Hi Srushti,

Some people jump in the water and know how to swim and some jump in the water and do not know how to swim.

Like any other business you need to know what you are doing.

Now you have retained the services of someone who you believe knows what they are doing to assist you.

And for these services there is a cost.

Some people (owner/operators) do the work themselves to lower the cost (somewhat).

In this business you will have anticipated costs and unanticipated costs--it's not a magic profit genie.

Sometimes you just have to write checks to get what you want.

Just my 2 cents.

Is the seller your PM?  You said the PM is harassing you but every time you mention someone it is the seller - so they one in the same?

KC is a big town, other PM's around sounds like you need to find one that fits your communication/approval for work style.  

There are certainly other PM’s and it seems like maybe the seller knew the tenant was breaking the lease. I assume you got the security deposit from the seller so you can sue that to pay the missing rent and any damage that has occurred. $700 for a water heater sounds like a steal. $200/mowing seems high, luckily that will go away next month at the latest?

Originally posted by @Scott M. :

Is the seller your PM?  You said the PM is harassing you but every time you mention someone it is the seller - so they one in the same?

KC is a big town, other PM's around sounds like you need to find one that fits your communication/approval for work style.  

The seller is not the PM - for some reason the seller is still involved in everything i.e. the PM first loops in the seller instead of letting me know first. It could be because the seller has a lot of properties in the area and is a well-verse turnkey investor. 

Also, I am just starting out in this world (bought the property early this year) and do agree that I have a lot to learn. But also wanted to validate if what I am feeling is right or wrong.

@Srushti Khairnar

Because you are the owner I believe therefore you are the person paying the property manager, simply for that reason the property manager needs to know that your ears should be the first years to hear anything about the property. If the property manager doesn't like this idea then it's time to fire the current property manager and get a new one

Originally posted by @Bill Brandt :

There are certainly other PM’s and it seems like maybe the seller knew the tenant was breaking the lease. I assume you got the security deposit from the seller so you can sue that to pay the missing rent and any damage that has occurred. $700 for a water heater sounds like a steal. $200/mowing seems high, luckily that will go away next month at the latest?

I was hoping the mowing charges to go away but  I have been charged for 3 straight months. And the PM has not been responding to my enquiries regarding these charges. Looks like I really need to seek another PM.

@Srushti Khairnar

Sorry, I meant because mowing season was going away the charges would be going away. 

Certainly nobody else should be getting any info about your property. I would ask flat out why that’s happening and if they’re going to start telling you about the seller’s other property’s problems. 

Might not  a good sign if the seller owns many properties and chose to sell this one. 

You did get the security deposit from seller correct to use towards repairs and missing rent?

This post makes zero sense and doesn't even seem to correspond with the title. I imagine there is too much pertinent info missing in this thread for anyone to provide you with helpful insight. You need to slow down and fully explain your situation if you want valid feedback.

The only thing I can say is $200/mo for grass is probably too much unless you were also billed for other services like bush trimming and things like that.

For just a cut, you should be paying between $30-$40 per cut if the lot is under a quarter acre. 

@Srushti Khairnar  is the seller a contractor  for the PM?   Just ask them in writing  not to discuss any items with the seller.  Be firm and clear.  Find another PM and someone else to do your work.  The previous seller is not allowed to put in a new water heater in without your authorization on your dime. That is what selling a house means.   

My guess is the PM messed up on this one either accidentally or on purpose.  And the PM harassing you is not the issue.  The issue is the seller being looped in  And the PMs poor management.    

@Srushti Khairnar . It sounds like a lack of communication is happening. 

If this were me the first thing I would do is send an email to the PM and tell them directly that they are not to involve the seller. 

The second thing I would do is find a better PM. Most PMs suck so its hard but you should be able to find one better than this. 

Third learn the laws etc for your locale and self manage if its local to you. 

Feel free to ask more questions and I am sure the group can help :) 

@Srushti Khairnar

Hopefully you listened to the inputs on the thread and took action. This is why i dont advise buying one house as an OOS investor. 

I am not even sure if you saw the property, had an inspection done to find any deferred maintenance or safety related items.

Get your learning curve up fast