I am the tenant looking for advice on floor replacement.

10 Replies

Hello everyone,

I posted on Facebook and was advised to ask for feedback here. 

My family and I are long term tenant in my apartment, having been here for almost 8 years. We intend to stay here until at least September, 2023. Our landlord is a corporation, a publicly traded REIT. It is not an individual landlord.

Here is my situation: 

After extensive rodent damage to our carpets, our property manager indicated that they will be replacing the damaged carpets with vinyl plank. However, they stated that IF they were to do this, then we would be responsible for moving all the furniture out of the unit to accommodate this, and that we would also be responsible for any damages that occurs to the new flooring from date of installation to our final move-out date, "whenever that would be" (which we know is tentatively 09/23).

Upon doing my research on vinyl plank, I learned that it is easy to damage it, if we were to accidentally drop something on it and that - more worryingly - damage usually happens when furniture is being moved. This concerns me because we cannot always control what the movers do. Our furniture includes a couch, twin beds, a King bed, TV stand etc. How do we handle this?

How expensive is damaged vinyl plank flooring to replace especially if - God forbid - something does happen to it before move out or at move out? Is this a risk we should take or should we simply request that they replace the damaged carpet with new carpet? Or just stay with the old carpet, covering the holes with rugs, esp since moving furniture in and out of the unit makes it difficult? 

BTW, knowing this company, there would likely be nothing "luxurious" about the material. So I am getting really nervous here. How much does damaged vinyl plank cost to replace? We're looking at an area of around 850 sq.ft!

Thanks for any advice you can give me in this regard. Much appreciated!

@Dhvaya Narasimhan , the reason landlords like LVP (luxury vinyl plank) is durability. Especially because it is unaffected by moisture like laminate floors are.

Your situation is the same as if you were moving into a new rental that had new flooring in it. So, I would think of it that way.

If you are satisfied with the flooring until you leave, express that. They may be willing to wait until you move out to replace it.

@Dhvaya Narasimhan   Vinyl is much more durable then carpet.  You can use felt pads under chairs etc to avoid scratches by repetitive movement.   If the movers damage the floor make a claim with the moving company. However if you are sure you are going to move then you might just ask for the carpet to stay. That said you are talking a move two years from now. I would be happy to make the change if I knew I would be there two more years before moving. 

If you damage it they can't ask you to replace it all unless you damage it all.  

Promotion
Ashcroft Capital
A national multifamily investment firm
Three Reasons Investors May Prefer Real Estate
Read three reasons why investing in real estate private placements may provide several advantages.
Read More Here

@Dhvaya Narasimhan just like everyone said on here, LVP is so durable that you shouldn't have any issues with it.  I have seen Vinyl plank cost $1.50 a sq ft to $2.99 a sq ft.  Your landlord may get it cheaper if he buys in bulk.  If you are that worried, maybe you can ask for the left over materials (a couple of planks) to hold onto in case there is scratch.  This way you can have someone replace damaged planks yourself.  

The problem is that the furniture has to be moved.  If you don't want to move the furniture, maybe you can get someone to move it for you.  Otherwise, there is no way for them to remove the carpet and put the new floor down.  Ripping out a carpet is a real pain and then they have to pull out the staples and tack strips.  I have done this a number of times, and I hate removing carpet.  The new flooring will make the place much nicer and I think that you will enjoy it even after the headache of moving the furniture.  

Since you are on here, maybe you should look at the forum some more and become a real estate investor yourself.

As long as they don't buy the cheap stuff it isn't going to get damaged. I always try to get Armstrong Vivero Better. I find it to be cheapest at Sherwin Williams (they have to order it for you - they don't keep it in stock). 

In momentary horror, I watched my handyman drag an old stove across the newly-installed Vivero Better flooring and it didn't leave any damage. I was impressed - and relieved. 

To calm your fear it would be good to ask what LVF they intend to install and then do some research on it to see how it holds up. Good flooring is tough to damage on accident - the cheap stuff is not.

Hi Dhvaya,

So, lets break this sandcastle question into some grains of sand, with some statements.

[1] LVP does not like water (most of it--but not all).

[2] LVP damage seems to mostly come from scratches, deep ones and light ones. Moving furniture and appliances type of damage.

[3] Repair costs depend on how the contractor chooses to repair the damage (unless speced by the owner). Differing costs.

[4] The owner cares most about SPEED of repair because they want to re-rent as fast as possible.

[5] Some of these products are made for rental use and are faster to repair.

[6] Repair cost includes labor and a possible up charge by a local management company for handling the repair.

[7] LVP likes to remain in a certain temperature zone, if you do not use A/C some types of it may buckle.

[8] At least they didn't charge you pet rent for the rodents (that is a joke).

If they replace it, just be as careful as you can. Some is more delicate than others. Who knows what they will choose to use.

Good Luck!

pictures, pictures, pictures. Shouldn't be an issue as above folks have said. A scratch here or there from having you move the furniture is pretty much normal wear and tear if you are careful, don't let them BS you. 

@Dhvaya Narasimhan Check your lease for terms like normal wear. Some LVP is tough some isn't. See if you can get a spare box or pieces of the flooring they use if it does get damaged.

why not negotiate to move into another better unit in their portfolio, maybe you get more apartment for same money or same apartment for less money?