Depreciation (capital cost allowance) on rental property

Depreciation (capital cost allowance) on rental property

Member since 2023 · 1 post · 0 votes

Looking for some advice... I am purchasing my first rental property, a triplex. I would like to know if there is anyone doing depreciation on the rental property? I know that CCA deduction claimed will become taxable upon sale of the property. What should I consider in order to make the decision for my situation? like my current taxable income level, the future appreciation of the property...

Thanks in advance!

Wendy

0Reply
20 views

Most Popular Reply

Calgary, AB · Member since 2021 · 327 posts · 176 votes
3y
Quote from @Wendy Cheng:

Looking for some advice... I am purchasing my first rental property, a triplex. I would like to know if there is anyone doing depreciation on the rental property? I know that CCA deduction claimed will become taxable upon sale of the property. What should I consider in order to make the decision for my situation? like my current taxable income level, the future appreciation of the property...

Thanks in advance!

Wendy


 You should consider your current and future taxable income. Property appreciation will most likely be capital gain if you keep the property for an extended period. The recapture portion will be 'recapturing' the amount you deducted all the way back to the amount you purchased the property for (basically, think about it as the amount you deducted will be taxed at the sale, assuming you are selling for more than the purchase price). We don't have 1031 exchange in Canada, so the CCA deduction allows you to defer your tax until you sell the property, which would hit you all at once. 

No one can predict what the government will do with tax rates in the future, so it is very hard to plan the optimal solution. Personally, if my taxable income is over 100k (usually whatever that high bracket is) in the year, I deduct CCA to lower my taxable income. 

See this reply in the discussion

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Kitchener, Ontario · Member since 2014 · 687 posts · 370 votes
    3y

    Yes - those two items are the factors to consider.

    And maybe get some advice from your accountant.  See what they recommend.

    Good luck

  • Calgary, AB · Member since 2021 · 327 posts · 176 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Wendy Cheng:

    Looking for some advice... I am purchasing my first rental property, a triplex. I would like to know if there is anyone doing depreciation on the rental property? I know that CCA deduction claimed will become taxable upon sale of the property. What should I consider in order to make the decision for my situation? like my current taxable income level, the future appreciation of the property...

    Thanks in advance!

    Wendy


     You should consider your current and future taxable income. Property appreciation will most likely be capital gain if you keep the property for an extended period. The recapture portion will be 'recapturing' the amount you deducted all the way back to the amount you purchased the property for (basically, think about it as the amount you deducted will be taxed at the sale, assuming you are selling for more than the purchase price). We don't have 1031 exchange in Canada, so the CCA deduction allows you to defer your tax until you sell the property, which would hit you all at once. 

    No one can predict what the government will do with tax rates in the future, so it is very hard to plan the optimal solution. Personally, if my taxable income is over 100k (usually whatever that high bracket is) in the year, I deduct CCA to lower my taxable income. 

  • Realtor · Calgary, Alberta · Member since 2018 · 291 posts · 132 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Wendy Cheng:

    Looking for some advice... I am purchasing my first rental property, a triplex. I would like to know if there is anyone doing depreciation on the rental property? I know that CCA deduction claimed will become taxable upon sale of the property. What should I consider in order to make the decision for my situation? like my current taxable income level, the future appreciation of the property...

    Thanks in advance!

    Wendy

    That is more a question for your accountant but my way to look at it is if it is a property I plan to keep for the long term I'm getting an interest free loan from the government by claiming that CCA
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.