Building a duplex, what laws, codes do I have to consider?Ont,Can

1 Reply

I'm currently looking into purchasing a property in a very desirable neighborhood, the home itself is outdated and looks out of place. However, the good news is it would be a perfect place to build a beautiful premium duplex. I think the neighbors will be mostly for it because the surrounding homes are in the values of 320K+ and this homes valued at 150K, with the estimated value on the duplex being 350K-450K it would be good for their home values. Now I'm at the point where I'm trying to learn about what laws i might have to consider when building a duplex here. The neighborhood is in Ontario, Canada in the Windsor region. I'm looking for any guidance, suggestions, places I could go to learn, past experiences or answers that could help me in my current situation. 

Thank you for taking the time to help ! 

@Trevor Miller

Welcome to BP.

Your first stop (either virtually or physically) would be at the municipality to confirm whether the property is zoned such that building a duplex on the lot is possible and whether the lot dimensions are sufficient for two units.

If you make it past that step, then you need to decide what kind of building you wish to construct and what you can afford to build:  i.e. minimum code compliant building; R2000 rated building; Passivhaus, etc.  Would you be occupying half of the property, or is the plan to rent both units?

Next you will need to put together your team: architect/designer (even if you are going with an off-the-shelf design); contractor; financial team, etc.   Your contractor will be responsible to ensure the building constructed meets, or exceeds, all code (national, provincial and local) requirements.   Be warned that the more efficient of a building you plan to construct (which is always in your long-term interest), the smaller the population of experienced contractors you will have to draw upon .... as sad as it sounds, despite being a northern country, and the home of much energy efficiency research, Canada has a poor track record of building high efficiency into our building codes and housing stock.