Landlord lawyer

6 Replies

Hi,

My name is William. I am a landlord based out of Toronto Ontario.

I was thinking of purchasing legal services and came across what seemed to be a pretty good one online.

http://www.landlordlawyer.ca/

I wanted to get your recommendation on whether this is a good service?

If not, who might you be able to recommend?

Thanks,

William

Thanks Steve.

I never thought of it that way but that is good to know!

I like it because it seems to be a useful insurance policy for not very much, but, it would be good to get some references first.

Hi William,

I am a lawyer practicing in Toronto. Interesting proposition you mention here.  Although I am not familiar with this service (so I can't really comment) - I do have to have to agree with Steve's sentiment. 

If I were you, it may make more sense to just connect directly with one or two licensed paralegals with experience before the LTB. I think paralegals have authority to handle landlord/tenant disputes. If you want more information, I recommend using the directory offered by the Law Society of Upper Canada. 

Best of luck!

Cory

@William Wong I agree with @Cory Macculloch . No need to subscribe to a legal service, but do interview a few paralegals who specialize in residential tenancy issues. Also, join a local residential landlord association, so that you're using best practices when screening potential tenants. It's the good old "ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" situation. I used to represent myself for residential tenant problems, but the paralegals do it better and faster since that is their bailiwick.

Originally posted by @Cory Macculloch :

Hi William,

I am a lawyer practicing in Toronto. Interesting proposition you mention here.  Although I am not familiar with this service (so I can't really comment) - I do have to have to agree with Steve's sentiment. 

If I were you, it may make more sense to just connect directly with one or two licensed paralegals with experience before the LTB. I think paralegals have authority to handle landlord/tenant disputes. If you want more information, I recommend using the directory offered by the Law Society of Upper Canada. 

Best of luck!

Cory

I would agree sounds like the Comfree of lawyers, pay up front with the prospect of saving 70% of traditional costs. Likely to realize they don't provide very much help or quality information, and have no interest in your needs and wants once they are paid. I would never skimp out on a lawyer they are they people who will save your bacon when it hits the fan. 

Hello Samuel, Cory and Claude,

Thank you for your feedback on this.

It seems like the opinion on this is fairly unanimous.

This is very good to know!