Starting out in real estate education is key

7 Replies

After reading Rich Dad Poor Dad I began to educate myself on investing in real estate. I listen to audiobooks, podcast, webinars, and generally talk to people in the business. What I have learned over the last two months and I'm still learning is both phenomenal and exciting. I am an electrician by trade it have been in Construction for over 20 years. Been doing house flips as an electrician in that time for others. Started doing consulting in regards to the construction and general project management on flips by others. At this point my wife and I are arranging our finances to be able to take the jump into either flipping or acquiring rental units.

We live in Nova Scotia Canada and would like to reach out to other potential investors or just others looking to get into this business.

Hey Leon, 

Great way to get started. I myself own two rental properties (3 doors total) and have gotten more serious about real estate in the last year. Found a partner and have since been doing flips (just about to list our 2nd) Same thing, dove into all the education I could find. Feel free to message me and set up a call to chat REI

Janelle

Thanks Janelle nice to know there are others on BP in our area. Still a few building blocks to put in place before we are ready to purchase our first property. Everyday brings us closer to that goal. We are very interested to hear others like us and their story. Financal freedom is a huge achievement and the story needs to be shared. Thanks for reaching out and let's keep in touch.

Welcome!  I enjoy the book but not their courses!  Find courses by people that make more money from doing deals than selling courses.  :)

Originally posted by @Leon Doucette :

Thanks Janelle nice to know there are others on BP in our area. Still a few building blocks to put in place before we are ready to purchase our first property. Everyday brings us closer to that goal. We are very interested to hear others like us and their story. Financal freedom is a huge achievement and the story needs to be shared. Thanks for reaching out and let's keep in touch.

Hi would like to know which education materials you referred! 

@Shrey A. As previously stated I started a Rich Dad Poor Dad which was the eye-opener for me. From there I read Brandon Turner's buying properties with zero or or little money down, Ozzie Jurock real estate in Canada. But the biggest part of my education has come through BiggerPockets webinars which I participate in weekly, forums full of great people that are willing and able to answer your questions. At this point I am reading books on accounting and tax planning in Canada. There's a few steps that need to be in place before jumping in to this business we get closer to our goals everyday.