Skip to content
First-Time Home Buyer

User Stats

Votes
Eric Sato
Votes |
Buying a personal property, but doing MTR or STR until we are ready to live in it.

Eric Sato
Posted May 17 2023, 18:21

I currently live in Japan, but am a US citizen and am planning to move back to the United States (Colorado Springs area) after 18+ years living abroad (I also have a thread about buying rental properties as an investment). At one point I will be looking to buy my own personal home with intent to live in that home about 1->2 years from now. 

Is there a smart way to potentially purchase a home now, rent it out (MTR or STR, or even perhaps fixed term 2year LTR), and then move into it myself with my family once we are back in the USA and ready to move in (we intend to live with family at first).

My thought process is

1. Build up my personal equity in the house starting ASAP

2. Make some potential cash flow on the property in the meantime

3. If in the end we do not end up wanting to move in, we keep it as a rental property

4. This first home would most likely not be our "long term" home, as I am thinking of some sort of house hack even. 

What I really do not understand is how would the loans work out, if I do intend for it to be a personal dwelling, but at first I would rent it out... Then what about potential refinancing, and any other tax benefits that come from actions taken on a Personal Home. 

Thank you in advance for any advice and or resources. 

Loading replies...