About to Become a Landlord

2 Replies

All,

As of April 1st, I would have bought my first investment property!  i purchased a duplex and will be living in one side and renting out the other. My question is, what kind of repair team do I need to make sure I have a list of people to call if things break that I'm unable to fix?  I was thinking the following:

-Plumber (24 hour one)

-General Handyman

I'm sure there's a lot more that I should have on my to call list.  What advince can you all provide about what I need and how best to figure out which ones to go with?

@Adam Moyer  Congrats. I bought my first duplex in December. We do most of the minor rehab ourselves, but the occasional HVAC or gas issue has popped up already.

You need:

HVAC guy
Plumber
General handyman (fixes the roof, etc.)

Initially, I used the HVAC company who I use on my primary residence, but then I had to get a quote from them on a blower motor for my HVAC air handler. They wanted $650 to put in a $100 part.

So...my best source was basically other landlords. I asked a few and got some local suggestions.

That worked out great. It was cheaper and now I have a resource list that I can go to.

Kevin

I echo the above. You need more than one hvac person, but start with one. Ditto for plumbers. General handyman is also a must.

Eventually, you will also need a licensed electrician, lawn care/snow removal person, licensed contractor (for pulling permits), masonry person, etc., etc.

But first things first are the big 3.

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here