Firing a real estate agent that doesn't return an email

11 Replies

Well, not really "firing", because they were never hired in the first place, but here's a "hypothetically hypothetical" situation and I'd like to know what others would do.

I met face to face with an agent and we talked about a few things. I initially liked the person and thought they would be good to work with. I emailed a few days later requesting more info about something we talked about. The person replied and said they'd get back to me. A couple of weeks have gone by and I haven't heard from them. 

Should I give them a pass just this once and try to recontact them? Or should I look at it as "90% of your job is maintaining relationships, so not returning an email when you said you would is a big red flag."

Note: That this wasn't the deal of the century I was calling about otherwise I would have called back immediately and every ten minutes thereafter. Also, I'm also just getting started, so I'm unlikely to be seen as a "big fish" for the agent.

No harm in reaching out to other agents; but also following up with this agent...I've followed up right away with people (or have had others do likewise to me) but the e-mail never sent correctly, think I hit send on a text but didn't, didn't post correctly, etc.  Difference between a lifestyle of poor communication & a mistake.

If you didn't sign anything with them just move on.

As an agent here in Connecticut I know the risk I am taking working with someone without a signed agreement. I generally in the beginning only have new clients sign agreements specific to property we are going to have showings on anyway. Do not want them to feel pressured and I am feeling them out to see if I want to work with them. It goes both ways.

After we both get a feel for how each other operates then we may sign an exclusive for a period of time. I am big on proving myself as an agent, but at the same point not wasting my time if that makes any sense.

Medium rzt hc 6483Michael Noto, SalCal Real Estate Connections | [email protected] | 860‑384‑7570 | https://www.zillow.com/profile/Mike-Noto/ | CT Agent # RES.0799665

It would not hurt to reach out one more time.

If you don't get a response after that or if the response you get back is another brush off, move on.

I don't believe in chasing people around. I will always follow up twice. If I don't hear back, then I move on. No hard feelings. Time is too valuable for me to sit around and wait too long. In general, lack of follow-up is just bad business practice. I would hate to be in the middle of any project and not be able to get important answers...delays will snowball.

How hard is it to at least say "I'm still working on this. I'll circle back as soon as I find out....blah blah blah."? Takes two seconds, but so important because it lets the other parties know that whatever the question/issue is...it has not slipped through the cracks and is being investigated/looked in on. I like accountability.

I practice this all the time in my corporate job too. I email once, email a follow-up. Then I call. Then I will show up in that person's office/desk and talk in person. Nothing confrontational. I do this to everyone....from people on my team to my SVP. Just a "Hey, I know you're busy, but I really need an answer to ABC. Since I'm here, got two minutes?". I sit my butt down while I'm saying that - makes it a lot harder for people to say they're busy at the moment and can't talk.

Originally posted by @Bart Ford :

Well, not really "firing", because they were never hired in the first place, but here's a "hypothetically hypothetical" situation and I'd like to know what others would do.

I met face to face with an agent and we talked about a few things. I initially liked the person and thought they would be good to work with. I emailed a few days later requesting more info about something we talked about. The person replied and said they'd get back to me. A couple of weeks have gone by and I haven't heard from them. 

Should I give them a pass just this once and try to recontact them? Or should I look at it as "90% of your job is maintaining relationships, so not returning an email when you said you would is a big red flag."

Note: That this wasn't the deal of the century I was calling about otherwise I would have called back immediately and every ten minutes thereafter. Also, I'm also just getting started, so I'm unlikely to be seen as a "big fish" for the agent.

Hey Bart, 

I wouldn't necessarily move on without reaching out to this agent again. Some of the most skilled people have the worst time management issues, and just need to be followed up with. I personally don't consider punctuality the most important skill when working with someone, I prefer extensive knowledge and expertise who forgets to email me back than the vast majority of unskilled agents who immediately return my emails because they have nothing better to do.

Just my thoughts.

Adam

If the person is a flake I would definitely move on. Then again, things fall through the cracks from time to time. I don't think I would bounce after just one offense. But if you do decide to continue trying to work with this agent, I would be clear about how you were let down by their previous lack of communication.

Medium apartment logoAndrew Syrios, Stewardship Investments | http://www.StewardshipProperties.com | Podcast Guest on Show #121

I'm on board with "90% of your job is maintaining relationships, so not returning an email when you said you would is a big red flag."

It's important that you have associates on your team that are their word.  If they can't bother to email you what they said they would, why would they ever follow through when something important is on the line - like your pending settlement? 

These are some really good thoughts. I think I will reach out again, but be on the look out for signs of flakiness as a trait. I don't plan on signing a contract just yet anyway.

Thanks!

Find a new one...btw I laughed when I read title.  At first I read it as 

"Finding a real estate agent that doesn't return an email"

Very confused why anyone would want to do that!

I'd reach out just to find out what, if anything, happened, but I wouldn't plan on working with this person unless you find out the miscommunication was on your part - i.e., the agent did indeed send the email and it went to trash, spam, whatever.

In the future, ditto what others said regarding follow-up: if I send an email I need a response to and don't hear back, I follow up pretty quickly to confirm it was received and whether they have an answer for me. In this case - a not-smoking-hot deal - I would have waited a day or two and followed up with the agent to ask what they found out. It lets the agent know that you are serious (you followed up) and also lets you know how this agent communicates and how quickly they work.