We got a call from Renatus and we were shocked...

21 Replies

Hi BP members!! This will be our first post so please bare with us. 

So we received a call from a lady working for Renatus called Christina and she offered the mentoring we were looking for. She asked a series of questions which involved some finacial ones and then sent us an email in which that email had a link. The link took you to a web page that had three different videos for you to watch. Before watching these videos, we took it upon ourselves to research about Renatus on BiggerPockets to see what others thought and we were glad we did!! After reading the discussion about Renatus on BP we decided it was best for us to move on our way and leave Renatus for others that feel it will benefit them. 

Christina called us back the next day and asked why we did not sign up or view the videos. We politely said, "after further investigation on Renatus, we decided it is not in our best interest to move forward with their company". Christina then became argumentative towards us while proceeding to sell us on the idea of joining! She told us if we did not join Renatus, we would not find any mentor that would help us for free because we have nothing to offer them!! When we told her we would offer them a deal or some type a partnership, she laughed in our face and said good luck on finding that mentor, call us back when you realize no one will help you.

We were shocked how unprofessional and negative Renatus was! What are all of your thoughts! Please share your opinions   because we would like to know. Thank you in advance for all of your replies and thank you BP members for saving us from Renatus!!!

Sincerely, 

Enrique and Melissa Serrano 

If a new investor brings me a legitimate opportunity (a qualified lead) and asks if I'll work it with him or her in exchange for splitting the upside, I'll usually take that deal.  I'm not a professional mentor, but I have mentored a lot of new investors, many from BP who live in D/FW and have taken the time to come meet with me at our office.

My main point is, new investors who are hungry and smart can absolutely bring value to more experienced people who might mentor them.  And the most valuable thing you can bring them (other than a pile of cash =) is a qualified lead that you've found via your marketing efforts...

Medium wbh square logoDev Horn, We Buy Houses® | [email protected] | 877‑932‑8946 | http://webuyhouses.com/profile/arlington

Hi Dev Horn,

We appreciate the response and now know that our thoughts were in fact true. We also believe new, intermediate, and experienced RE Investors can help each other in many aspects as long as we all work together as a team :). We had family who used to live in the Dallas/Fort Worth area who loved it. We love Texas and hope to own a few properties in the near future in different parts if Texas! Like always, we wish you the best of success in your future REI!!

Sincerely,

@Enrique S.

Dev nailed it, as usual!

I don't personally like the word "mentor" or "mentoring".  They are perfectly good words.  They just seem arrogant to me.  I don't know that I will ever feel like I could be a "mentor".  However, I meet with and spend time helping new members and new investors all the time.  My personal email address and phone number are in my signature as an open invitation to anyone who care to reach out.

The education companies live and prosper by getting folks to sign up for their trainings and mentoring programs.  I had a similar experience with Fortune Builders.  They got very hostile and condescending, when we say "No thank you".

Originally posted by @Hattie Dizmond :

@Enrique S.

Dev nailed it, as usual!

I don't personally like the word "mentor" or "mentoring".  They are perfectly good words.  They just seem arrogant to me.  I don't know that I will ever feel like I could be a "mentor".  However, I meet with and spend time helping new members and new investors all the time.  My personal email address and phone number are in my signature as an open invitation to anyone who care to reach out.

The education companies live and prosper by getting folks to sign up for their trainings and mentoring programs.  I had a similar experience with Fortune Builders.  They got very hostile and condescending, when we say "No thank you".

Hi Hattie Dizmond,

Thank you for the wonderful words of wisdom and caring heart to help others. We did not think of mentor in that way until you made a valid point, and we thank you for that! We thank you for having open arms as it is hard to find others that want to help each other succeed together! We as well always have an open invitation to others because we believe in giving a helping hand so that we all can strive to help each other grow! We may not have much to offer as far as knowledge but we have the drive to succeed in everything we do and hope to help others at the same time. 

We have noticed that those educational companies just want money from people and do not care about anyone but themselves. We have gone to one called success paths and received calls from two different people from renatus! All of them sound the same and have the same sells pitch! Thank you again for your reply and like always we wish you the best of success in your future investments!

Sincerely,

no shortage of 'investment ed sharks' abound. 

to me, its intrinsic to what they're selling. 

how many k for that koolaid?

Yeah, be very careful with this one... It is an MLM and the only incentive that reps have is to sell the program and or recruit others to sell. You can make money in real estate for sure, but be especially cautious if people are giving you high pressure sales tactics or telling you things that sound too good to be true. You can make good money in real estate, but it is just as easy to lose large amounts of money if you do not know what you are doing and or are in over your head. A real mentor or coach should be an experienced investor who has some stake in real estate and the transactions you are working on together. My own opinion is that mentorship is only needed when you are attempting creative and or risky things anyway. If you are taking a conservative approach to real estate investing, for example starting out with a turnkey rental property and building from there, you should not really need a lot of extra education or special mentorship. Bigger pockets and other online and offline resources and clubs should suffice.

Doug, you really should make sure you're speaking from an informed position.  There's a HUGE gulf between MLM and direct sales, and a referral compensation like the one we receive is weighted toward direct and individual sales.  The gross commissions are paid to the person making the sale, not the other way around.  I've been in NuSkin, and exposed to Amway, Herbalife, and any number of candle and nutritional MLM's.  If the product is good, and it's product focused, MLM is a fair (but difficult) way to distribute.  But Renatus is NOT MLM,

Enrique S., your experience is unconscionable!  That person has hopefully been humbled, or is no longer affiliated with the company, and is ABSOLUTELY not representative of anybody I've encountered.  Actually, people that behave like that are forcefully reminded that they reflect on us all, and if they continue, their affiliation can and does get rescinded.

Mentorship within this group is excessively generous, and without expectation of reciprocation.  Caution is emphasized repeatedly, not to do deals with those you don't know, not to enter anything without good representation of YOUR interests, and not to do anything yourself until you're sure of your knowledge.  Even then, EVERY accomplished investor I've talked to (and there are hundreds in the Chicago area) has been more than willing to walk someone through a deal, to check their calculations and reasoning, and to recommend a conservative approach until experienced.

There has been some balanced commentary on BP, but the majority of what I've seen seems to come from ignorantly formed, snap opinion, based on little actual knowledge, or anecdotal stories of the occasional bad apple. (What large group doesn't have a few of those?)

The greatest benefit to this group is the speed of learning, exposure to experience nearly daily, if desired, and a local and national network of any number of competent people to fill your team with.

I'll get off my soapbox now.

P.S.  I've never experienced or witnessed any "hard sell".  Sure, there's sell (not pushed, only if wanted)...cause everything is sales, especially acquiring and exiting deals, but not predatory or hard.  And I've seen plenty of 'sell' on BP.  Even gotten much autoresponder traffic.  Not that I mind...it's all educational.  But this ain't the Crystal Kingdom here, where all is altruism.  BP is a good venue, if you keep your head, and do your due diligence.  And isn't that the point of it all?  

I talk to a lot of Renatus folks in my area and I have yet to find one that has actually done a deal.  

I have no doubts that they have a good community, and good education.  But I would agree that if you have a deal on your hands you can find an experienced investor to help you walk through it.

Renatus is a for profit company, selling real estate education.  

You should attend a non for profit real estate club in your area.  That's where the mentor you're looking for will be.

@Scot Howat ,

Come down to the weekly meeting and study groups and you can meet over 200 active investors with multiple deals under their belt, in the pipeline and in progress.

There's a workshop next weekend with our newest instructor on the topic of multi-family fix-and-flips. I can send you the link to register yourself.

The workshop is on Saturday from 9am to 5pm. The day before will be property tours of community members and deals they are doing starting around 3pm. I can get you the addresses, if you like. They'll likely be western suburbs, though we've gone as far north-west as McHenry for house tours.

The workshop is $50 - the property tours are free. Let me know - connect with me or my e-mail address is in my profile.

Updated over 1 year ago

Disclosure: Student, Affiliate, Community Volunteer

@Enrique S. ,

Sorry - your thread from last year got "bumped", so it's active again.

I'd be curious to know what led you to decide against proceeding. Did you view the videos? ... read anything they sent you?

Your post mentioned that you researched Renatus here on BP. You should be aware that 90% or more of those posting about Renatus here have no first hand experience with it and don't really know what they're talking about.

No, it's not MLM - the marketing side is direct sales, much like an insurance agent's office.

The education is REAL education, not marketing or upselling. NOTHING is for sale at our presentations, and instructors of the classes are forbidden to sell anything in the course of the class.

With the gurus, you take the class(es) once, and they may let your repeat (audit) the class(es) once, that's it. You have access to our classes for life, including all updates and additions. Classes are on-line, 24x7 so you can take them or retake them anytime you want. No travelling to a 3-day upsell ... er, I mean bootcamp or any of that. Guru 3-day events are 27 to 36 hours, maybe 40 hours of actual "class" time. We have over 450 hours of on-line classes available at your convenience.

We have communities in some 20 cities now and growing rapidly. So, you can get support for your deals from people doing deals in your area who know the ropes and the local issues.

Just wanted you to have some facts instead of gossip and conjecture.

My impression of Renatus is that it's a hype up group.  They bring a lot of people in the door, and end up selling them education packages.  Then those people try to sell more education packages rather than focusing on deals.

I call all the Renatus bandit signs in my area and have yet to talk to a person there who has actually done a deal.  I'm sure if there are hundreds of people that show up every week then the odds are that someone has done deals, I'm not doubting that.  I'm not saying that it's a bogus group or anything, but based on my experience so far the only people I've spoken to are interested in selling education.

@Scot Howat ,

So why not come down and learn the truth rather than ponder even your own conjecture?

Yes - Renatus is a marketing company - which sells Real Estate Investing Education. REAL EDUCATION, not bootcamps, mentorships and all that other fake crap.

... and no, it's not "odds are" - it's people doing deals. A LOT of people doing deals. Not sure what your expectations are, but 100% is definitely not realistic. Remember - even when we were in school only 70% was still passing grade. Don't have exact numbers, but we're probably well over that.

Still, if you're looking for a reason to avoid it, that's exactly what you will find.

If you're looking for a reason to join in with active investors doing deals using their education, you'll find that, too.

So, what is it you're looking for?

Why not come out to the workshop this weekend and learn something new?

I'm sure there are people that go to Renatus that have done deals, I'm just saying that every one that I've talked to hasn't. 

I'd rather lose $20,000 on a deal and get the experience rather than spend $20,000 on an education.  That's just my personal preference.

@Scot Howat ,

So come down and meet some who have/are! Is that a problem?

... or do you only participate in "perfect" activities? ... in which case, you've never been to school, never had a friend, never had a job, never tried anything you've never done before, ... (How did you learn to walk? "Every" toddler who tries to walk either falls on their face or sits down abruptly. Does that mean it's impossible?)

Why judge an entire population by your own limited sample? That's like saying, "Every Martian I've ever met was an alcoholic. So, all Martians are alcoholics."

"I'd rather lose $20,000 on a deal and get the experience ..."

How many times? Why not learn once how to avoid the common mistakes and reduce your losses?

Come down and meet people who have done deals and are doing deals ... or would that take away your excuse?

You can make money or you can make excuses. Choose wisely.

The Best of Luck to you ...

I'm actively doing deals too.  

I'm simply trying to offer an unbiased opinion to @Enrique S. based on my personal experience, that's all.

@Scot Howat ,

...and I am doing the same.

You're saying what you know to be true from your experience.

I am saying what I know to be true from my own experience. I've been with this group since June 2011, five months after it's founding.

It is NEVER a good idea to laugh at, harass, or blow off clients (potential or established).  You never know when that person may "come around"....or who they know.  Now, that does not mean you need to kiss-a$$ every potential prospect or client since some people simply can't be pleased.  

True story with myself just a few weeks ago:  I was in need of a new, large piece of equipment for my office.  The item I needed costs well into the $100K range and competition between the suppliers is keen.  They are also well known for "disappearing" after their commission has been paid.  I was looking for a company that would at least provide some advertising support, a decent warranty, etc.  Much like someone who might be considering an expensive, luxury car.  I reached out to the company that I was most familiar.  All this rep had to to was be "nice" to me, tell me about his product, and work me a decent deal, and he would have taken home a sizeable check.  Instead, he sent me a credit application.  BEFORE telling me about his products.  When I emailed him back and let him know I was uninterested in taking a hard hit on my credit before even having learned about the products, let alone without an acceptable deal drawn up, he emailed back to "get back with him" when I was ready to fill out the credit app.

Needless to say, I went elsewhere, and my expensive piece of equipment will be delivered on Monday.  Someone else will be getting a big paycheck.  When he checked back with me last week (a month or so after the last contact) I sent him a succinct email informing him of his mistake. 

Moral of story:  Don't be a jerk.

Medium star changer propertiesKaryn T. MD, Star Changer Properties, LLC | [email protected] | 5599976326

Here's a story from one of my local group's senior leaders...

People often ask why the marketing side of Renatus is important - why not just do deals and not piss people off?

Well, had it not been for his marketing efforts he wouldn't have found his latest prospective deal: 60-some lots worth around $12 Million with a projected profit of some $4.8 Million at exit.

REI is all about networking. Direct sales is, likewise, all about networking. One feeds the other.

Wanted to pass that along ...

Updated over 1 year ago

Correction: The deal is actually worth some $28 Million.

Enrique:

I don't have anything to sell you or charge you for but I would like to communicate with you.  Hopefully, we can learn from each other.  I have been self employed for fifty years and am studying the fix and flip come investor world so I can answer questions about it. 

Thanks

Good, Bad or neutral - - it's bad business to use the hard sell - - you've all heard it in various ways - - Take this now before I leave or you'll never find another offer like this.

I walked out of a car showroom on this approach and found a delightful experience just down the block.

This approach relies upon buyer ignorance and current market prices.  So when you feel pressured, WALK - - you've lost nothing at this point.  Do some more research and become a knowledgeable consumer so you know BS and misrepresentation(s) when you hear them.

The best sales techniques GIVE information and build trust in the person & the company.  You should feel, he understands me, what I want and will help me find the right choice.

This post has been removed.