Moved out of 2-Family House Hack

Moved out of 2-Family House Hack

Rental Property Investor · Boonton, NJ · Member since 2017 · 8 posts · 3 votes

Hi BP - I have house hacked a 2-family in northern NJ, living in one unit and renting out the other unit. I have recently moved out of the unit I was living in and will plan on renting it. I have a conventional, owner-occupied mortgage on the property and have an owner-occupied homeowner's insurance policy. I think it's best practice to notify the insurance company that I have moved out and would like to have a revised policy. Do I need to notify the bank at all? Anything else I need to do or anyone else I need to notify of me moving out of my house hack and the property now being a full investment property?

Thank you!

0Reply
26 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · Seattle, WA · Member since 2019 · 243 posts · 246 votes
4y

You don't need to, but I've always given my bank a heads up so there's no surprises. As long as you've been there for a year, you should be good to go!

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Brandon RushPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Portland, CT · Member since 2019 · 761 posts · 849 votes
    4y

    No, all you need to do is notify the insurance company so they can adjust your premiums. You would probably have to notify the bank so they have your updated mailing address, but they will not make any changes to the loan as long as you stayed at least 1 year. 

    That's pretty much it, good luck!

  • Real Estate Agent · Seattle, WA · Member since 2019 · 243 posts · 246 votes
    4y

    You don't need to, but I've always given my bank a heads up so there's no surprises. As long as you've been there for a year, you should be good to go!

  • Realtor · NJ · Member since 2020 · 277 posts · 138 votes
    4y

    Hi @Ekrem Bermek, congrats on moving into the next phase of your house hack!

    You are correct in that you should notify your insurance provider so that they adjust your coverage to a Landlord's Policy. You do not need to notify your bank/lender.

  • Insurance Agent · Norwalk, CT · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    Ekrem,

    If you are not dealing with and independent agent (an insurance agent that represents multiple companies) I would suggest getting quotes from one as well as from your current agent.  We represent many companies and I find that the best policy for a owner occupied dwelling (Homeowners policy) is not always the best for the same building when it becomes a rented dwelling (Dwelling Fire policy).  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.