WOULD YOU BUY 7BEDROOM/5BATH HOME for 1M?

WOULD YOU BUY 7BEDROOM/5BATH HOME for 1M?

Investor · Orange County, CA · Member since 2020 · 85 posts · 19 votes

HELLO ALL<

Would you buy or pass?

We are looking at a 7bedroom 5bath home in ORANGE COUNTY CA.

OFF-market for 1M ARV is about 1.2M.repair estimate is about 50k.

mortgage (PITI),utilities,cap-ex is around $7,500/month

down-payment with closing costs is about $180K..

home is in a Corner lot parking is not an issue.

5bedrooms has sliding door access to the patio.

3-car garage with potential to convert to ADU..

if all bedrooms according to projections are rented we are looking around $9,200/month

What would you do?

Thank you so much.

1Reply
31 views

Most Popular Reply

Peter MckernanBusiness Member
Residential Real Estate Agent · Irvine, CA · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
4y

@Trist Baylon what are you thinking the tenants occupation will be and their income looks like since they are not close to really any schools, what's the turnover for room there and what are any other Capex you are thinking about on this one. The cashflow seems good, but need to make sure that the turnover stays a little lower and the potential clients/tenants. Mission Viejo is great for sure and the rent is there along with longevity; however, the area also is a reduced area for co-living. Also check the city guidelines on Co-living, some you have to permit it, some you cannot do it at all in OC and you want to be on the up and up with neighbors around that may call. We just got the city called on us for one of our projects cost us an extra $6K.

Also, ADU is going to be pricey, even if it's just converting one garage or two. Most likely it will be about 100Kish for that, or more. If you are adding SF onto that garage anywhere that will be a lot more.

The McKernan Group4.957 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

18 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2020 · 29 posts · 24 votes
    4y

    The cash on cash return is about 11%, it's not too bad. But I think you can do better if you are planning to spend $180k. However, this property is in California, so it has lots of potential in the future. If you only want to invest in orange county area, I think this is a good project!

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    4y

    1) Exactly where in Orange County?

    2) You positive about the $50k repair costs

    3) So are you house hacking this, or renting out all the bedrooms separately? Not a big fan myself of that..

  • Investor · Orange County, CA · Member since 2020 · 85 posts · 19 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Bruce Woodruff:

    1) Exactly where in Orange County?

    2) You positive about the $50k repair costs

    3) So are you house hacking this, or renting out all the bedrooms separately? Not a big fan myself of that..

     1.Mission viejO

    2.yes positive on the 50k reno

    3.rent per bedroom.co-living

  • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2021 · 9k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    4y

    Depends, what can it cash flow and whats its ARV?

  • Peter MckernanBusiness Member
    Residential Real Estate Agent · Irvine, CA · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    @Trist Baylon what are you thinking the tenants occupation will be and their income looks like since they are not close to really any schools, what's the turnover for room there and what are any other Capex you are thinking about on this one. The cashflow seems good, but need to make sure that the turnover stays a little lower and the potential clients/tenants. Mission Viejo is great for sure and the rent is there along with longevity; however, the area also is a reduced area for co-living. Also check the city guidelines on Co-living, some you have to permit it, some you cannot do it at all in OC and you want to be on the up and up with neighbors around that may call. We just got the city called on us for one of our projects cost us an extra $6K.

    Also, ADU is going to be pricey, even if it's just converting one garage or two. Most likely it will be about 100Kish for that, or more. If you are adding SF onto that garage anywhere that will be a lot more.

    The McKernan Group4.957 Reviews
  • Investor · Orange County, CA · Member since 2020 · 85 posts · 19 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Eliott Elias:

    Depends, what can it cash flow and whats its ARV?


    yes ARV is 1.2M

    projected cash flow is $9,200/month gross

  • Investor · Orange County, CA · Member since 2020 · 85 posts · 19 votes
    4y

    We have been doing travel nurses in our other house and have been successful with our turn-overs so far.Altho its in Huntington beach.

    We are in the medical field and the house is in the 5mile radius of different hospitals 1being less than 2miles.

    I called to check with the city for any regulations regarding people living in the house that is not related and there is no regulations against that.

    All 7bedroom 5bath is permitted.

    And yes,you are correct with ADU.we are building a detached 3bed/2bath now as well..

    Based on the numbers would go for it?180k into it is pretty steep,some people say theyd rather invest out of state,but I thought its local for us..

    If it was you what would you do?

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    4y

    If it was you what would you do?

    I'd pass....I don't think there's enough money in this deal for you.


  • Peter MckernanBusiness Member
    Residential Real Estate Agent · Irvine, CA · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Trist Baylon:

    We have been doing travel nurses in our other house and have been successful with our turn-overs so far.Altho its in Huntington beach.

    We are in the medical field and the house is in the 5mile radius of different hospitals 1being less than 2miles.

    I called to check with the city for any regulations regarding people living in the house that is not related and there is no regulations against that.

    All 7bedroom 5bath is permitted.

    And yes,you are correct with ADU.we are building a detached 3bed/2bath now as well..

    Based on the numbers would go for it?180k into it is pretty steep,some people say theyd rather invest out of state,but I thought its local for us..

    If it was you what would you do?


     I would not and the only reason is that the area (even though you checked) is a limited one for me on Co-living. That is for me, and to be honest, you maybe able to get it a little cheaper in 6-12 months to offset the expenses etc. My personal opinion is that I still like and buy in California, but that is just my opinion. Other people have done well in other areas too. You should give a little patience and see what else pops up that would be a better return on that money! 

    The McKernan Group4.957 Reviews
  • Real Estate Agent · Southern California · Member since 2019 · 681 posts · 281 votes
    4y

    @Trist Baylon I say yea! When rents go up which they do you will create even more gap between expenses and income. I would say also thing about the appreciation on a million dollars annually! 

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Nicholas Coulter:

    I would say also thing about the appreciation on a million dollars annually! 

    Also I would think about buying at the wrong time and watching negative appreciation ruin you....


  • Real Estate Agent · Southern California · Member since 2019 · 681 posts · 281 votes
    4y

    @Bruce Woodruff Could be. From what I see here there is potential to see the market correct but rents will support the cash flow until the properties are back to where they need to be for a positive sell. I like buy and hold for the math. Over 40 years which included 08 crash California has seen over 3% annual in those years :) I wouldnt suggest anyone get into a short term hold right now but buy and holds are still working!

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Nicholas Coulter:

    @Bruce Woodruff Could be. From what I see here there is potential to see the market correct but rents will support the cash flow until the properties are back to where they need to be for a positive sell. I like buy and hold for the math. Over 40 years which included 08 crash California has seen over 3% annual in those years :) I wouldnt suggest anyone get into a short term hold right now but buy and holds are still working!


    I got ya, I was just wanting the OP to realize that sometimes things go down, just like sometimes they go up... :-)

    Or in other words, 'what goes up must come down'...

  • Investor · Pasadena, CA · Member since 2017 · 612 posts · 523 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Nicholas Coulter:

    @Bruce Woodruff Could be. From what I see here there is potential to see the market correct but rents will support the cash flow until the properties are back to where they need to be for a positive sell. I like buy and hold for the math. Over 40 years which included 08 crash California has seen over 3% annual in those years :) I wouldnt suggest anyone get into a short term hold right now but buy and holds are still working!

    ******************************

    I assume you are talking about average annual appreciation over that 40 yr time period. And while that may be true, that works for a 40 yr goal plan, but might not work for a shorter plan or unforeseen circumstances. It's kinda like what I tell some of my Seller clients - their house may be worth what they want it to be, but it just might take a little longer than they hope. In other words, their house value is partially a function of time and if they want to sell it soon, they should pay more attention to current sales prices, and adjust accordingly, but if they need to get a higher amount, it may take a while, even many years, so they can change their game plan or their goals.

    I personally have been in 2 major real estate downturns in my area, over the past 30+ yrs. I lost money in 1 of them and purposefully outran the other one. The first one, I bought at the precipice of the market, and was forced into a position having to sell, 7 years later, for a loss (28%+ value drop in that time frame). It took me years to get whole again after that. 

    I have also owned houses where both the rents and values did not rise to any significant levels over the 17 years I owned them. I sold those for a loss, after paying for repair costs to get them in condition to sell. These were my first ltr's I bought and now, I know I should've done more research prior to purchasing them. My point is, the real estate market cycles and it would be wise to adjust your underwriting to your goals and the current part of the cycle.

    That said, the OP's cashflow #'s do appear to be ok, but it's not clear if they account for vacancy/collections and maintenance/repairs. I personally, would also account for property management, even if I was managing the property. It is still a cost of business and someone has to do it. I may put less emphasis on my own property management expense, but I'd still want to see it in my spreadsheet. Those #'s start looking pretty skinny after that, especially taking into account the riskiness of the current place in the market cycle. For me, the risk/reward analysis doesn't seem worth it, at least for my goals. But, you'd also assess the potential "bonuses," like the ADU potential (cost to build/convert vs rental value).

    Generally, in CA, we are now at an affordability bottom (or below), meaning, there will be pressure on normalizing the affordability equation, which is a function of price vs interest rate vs income. As the rate goes up, so does downward pressure on prices, which is also influenced by income. As rates go up-If income stays steady = downward price pressure, if income drops = additional downward pressure on prices. And, incomes are not likely to rise in the near future. Even Meta just warned of a hiring freeze and possible upcoming layoffs. So, I would adjust any buying underwriting more conservatively.

  • Drew SygitBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    4y

    @Trist Baylon what is the ROI?

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Haymarket · Member since 2022 · 76 posts · 70 votes
    3y

    We bought a similar STR home for 860k in Northern VA. ARV of 1.15M.

    9 bedroom 5 bath. 100k in reno. It has three separate entrances so we rent it by floor and it cash flows pretty nicely. 

    Our goal is to hold for at least a few years and cash out when the time is right.

    If the numbers work based on conservative vacancy and income, I would do it.

    Note: We only allow 30 day stays. The neighbors are all cool with us since we don't have daily/weekly turnover. 

  • Member since 2019 · 19 posts · 9 votes
    3y

    Your numbers are tight!

  • Investor · Texas/Colorado · Member since 2014 · 72 posts · 36 votes
    3y

    Sounds like a great opportunity but there are a few things to consider…

    - Do you want that level of responsibility that comes with managing that many “room renters”

    - You are on a corner lot with lots of parking but are you taking driveway parking or street parking? If street, are you allowed to have that many cars parking there

    - Is this your first house hack? If so, consider your reasons for starting with such a large undertaking. If this was your third, or even you second, you would have an immense amount of knowledge that you won’t have on your first

    - Your cash on cash sounds good but there will be a high level of ongoing maintenance when you have that many people living in that size house. Do you have the reserves to manage those expenses?

    - Do you have the reserve to manage multiple vacant rooms when it happens?

    Hope these questions help you get to the answer that fits your needs. Best of luck regardless of which direction you go!!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.