New House Hack Looking for Advice

New House Hack Looking for Advice

Member since 2024 · 1 post · 7 votes

I just recently purchased a duplex in Cincinnati Ohio as a house hack. I am living in the top unit and planning to rent out the bottom. I am having a hard time finding a qualified tenant and I would also like some advice on property management and being a landlord. I would greatly appreciate any advice or if anyone local is looking to mentor someone I would be very interested. 

7Reply
77 views

Most Popular Reply

Member since 2025 · 6 posts · 3 votes
1y

Hello Lucas

I am currently house hacking in Henderson, Nevada and I myself have looked into trying a bunch of different methods in trying to advertise and screen people. Funny enough RentRedi , which is a tool through bigger pockets is perfect for screening people it does background checks financial checks and multiple other others that you'll appreciate. Also it will help you post on realtor.com which will actually help Drive a good amount of traffic for finding people at least in my experience. Also Furnished Finder helps drive in some traffic, i've looked into it and I would probably if I had to do it over again spend the extra dollar and a half a day to advertise on the larger sites using the rent ready app because it will post up to five different locations that'll help drive traffic. I bought in January renovated a large portion of the house, not fully but posted and had both of my two available rooms filled within the first three months. It's better to post sooner than later. If you can just know that it can take a few months to get tenants so if that's a concern for income it's worth noting. The best way that I found is to be very straightforward on the post Let them know what's there don't write a story, if they have questions, they'll usually ask let them drive the conversation cause otherwise they'll feel overwhelmed. Once you start attracting enough attention, you'll definitely notice by the amount of people trying to contact you. The hard part is with room rentals that some people get confused and think it's for the whole house and you have to clarify, but this is OK don't get discouraged.

See this reply in the discussion

14 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Arman AhmedPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus Cleveland Dayton, OH · Member since 2024 · 2k+ posts · 923 votes
    1y

    @Lucas Collins

    • Establish Clear Screening Criteria and Process: Develop a written tenant screening policy that outlines your requirements for income, credit score, rental history, background check, and any other relevant factors.
    • Market Effectively: Craft compelling rental listings that include high-quality photos and detailed information about the unit, amenities, and location
  • Member since 2025 · 6 posts · 3 votes
    1y

    Hello Lucas

    I am currently house hacking in Henderson, Nevada and I myself have looked into trying a bunch of different methods in trying to advertise and screen people. Funny enough RentRedi , which is a tool through bigger pockets is perfect for screening people it does background checks financial checks and multiple other others that you'll appreciate. Also it will help you post on realtor.com which will actually help Drive a good amount of traffic for finding people at least in my experience. Also Furnished Finder helps drive in some traffic, i've looked into it and I would probably if I had to do it over again spend the extra dollar and a half a day to advertise on the larger sites using the rent ready app because it will post up to five different locations that'll help drive traffic. I bought in January renovated a large portion of the house, not fully but posted and had both of my two available rooms filled within the first three months. It's better to post sooner than later. If you can just know that it can take a few months to get tenants so if that's a concern for income it's worth noting. The best way that I found is to be very straightforward on the post Let them know what's there don't write a story, if they have questions, they'll usually ask let them drive the conversation cause otherwise they'll feel overwhelmed. Once you start attracting enough attention, you'll definitely notice by the amount of people trying to contact you. The hard part is with room rentals that some people get confused and think it's for the whole house and you have to clarify, but this is OK don't get discouraged.

  • Drew SygitBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    1y

    @Lucas Collins questions

    1) Where are you advertising your unit?

    2) How are you advertising your unit?
    - Pics, ad copy, 3-D Tour, Floorplan?

    3) How did you choose the rental amount?

    4) How does your unit compare to the local competition?

    5) What is your application process?

    6) What is your screening process?

    You also want advice on being a landlord.

    No way this is all getting answered here:(

    DM us and we can schedule a call, which is a better way to address all this:)

    • Member since 2025 · 6 posts · 3 votes
      1y

      @Drew Sygit  personally because I've started a house My unit using furnish finder, spare room and RentRedi. I found that I have better leads using rent ready because it'll post to realtor.com and it gets very good traffic using that without having to pay for Zillow and other sites. I personally took pictures. It's Ben recommended to do virtual tours. I looked at the market and went a little higher than others and I got more than most even with room for rent situations preferring private entry and private bathrooms. Honestly my house is a bit smaller but I updated it to be a bit more niche with smart home upgrades and updated feel compared to most to be able to ask for more. To address screening and application I utilize RentRedi the cost for application is covered by the tenants and I personally enjoy the large amount of information that you receive it helps to screen you honestly can see what they are going to be like by the way the act during the process and the walk through.

      Best advice is to just trust your instincts and don't ignore the way you feel during communicating with them. Always understand that no one will treat your property the way you would.

  • Sam McCormackBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Cincinnati, OH/NKY · Member since 2021 · 1k+ posts · 833 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Lucas Collins:

    I just recently purchased a duplex in Cincinnati Ohio as a house hack. I am living in the top unit and planning to rent out the bottom. I am having a hard time finding a qualified tenant and I would also like some advice on property management and being a landlord. I would greatly appreciate any advice or if anyone local is looking to mentor someone I would be very interested. 


     Hey Lucas, i'm going to shoot you a message about this

    Sam McCormack Realtor
    View Page
  • Member since 2025 · 4 posts · 5 votes
    1y

    1. Establish clear expectations from the get go.

    2. Check credit, income, previous land lords.

    3. Be firm on rent due date. 

  • Min ZhangBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    Congrats on the house hack, Lucas! Finding the right tenant can definitely take some patience, especially on your first go. Screening is key like clear criteria, background checks, and solid communication up front go a long way.

    As for property management, even if you’re self-managing for now, having a system for handling maintenance, rent collection, and communication will make life easier. There are also local Facebook groups and meetups where experienced landlords are usually open to sharing advice or even mentoring.

    Feel free to ask more as things come up and keep the conversation going!

  • Aaron ZimmermanBusiness Member
    Accountant · Chicago, IL · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    In Illinois, you have to post the requirements to be a renter. I'd recommending choosing some combination of income, credit score, no eviction history, etc. I'd also look to post on all major listing sites (Zillow, apartments.com) 

  • George SkidisPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Belleville, IL · Member since 2017 · 875 posts · 529 votes
    1y

    In Cincinatti Ohio check out "Queen City REIA" run by Danielle Mahoney. The are a Chapter with National REIA and have excellent educational opportunities.

    If you join Queen City REIA they have a screening service that will help you establish rental criteria, and the applicant pays for it.

  • Investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2022 · 34 posts · 13 votes
    1y

    Congratulations Lucas! I’d like to suggest you join REIAGC. There you can network with local investors and seek mentorship if needed. They also have a small meetup on Wednesday mornings at Panera bread (blue ash). 

  • Kerlous TadresBusiness Member
    Realtor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2023 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    Hey @Lucas Collins, finding the right tenant can be tough. Make sure to list your place on sites like Zillow, Craigslist, and Facebook Marketplace. Sometimes offering a small incentive, like a rent discount for the first month, can help get things moving. If you're managing the property yourself, that's a great way to learn. But if it feels like too much, you can always look into hiring a local property manager later. For mentorship, check out local REI meetups or groups on BiggerPockets. Connecting with others in the area can be super helpful as you grow.

    Kerlous Tadres | Reafco Real Estate540 Reviews
  • Joseph TadresPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2025 · 184 posts · 179 votes
    1y

    Congrats on the house hack Lucas, smart move, especially in Cincy.

    If you're struggling to find a tenant, make sure your listing is solid (good pics, clear info, priced right), and definitely throw a “For Rent” sign in the yard with your number; it works! I’ve had great luck with that.

    No need for a PM with one unit. Just make sure you’ve got a solid handyman or contractor you can call. And even if you’re self-managing, treat it like a business — solid lease, good communication, and use tools like Apartments.com or RentRedi.

    If you ever want to connect or chat through it, feel free to DM me.

  • Lender · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2025 · 58 posts · 23 votes
    1y

    Hello Lucas, I am a lender that's based in Cincinnati and I have a few property management companies that I can connect you with if you were wanting to gain some insight. Feel free to PM me! 

  • George SkidisPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Belleville, IL · Member since 2017 · 875 posts · 529 votes
    1y

    In Cincinatti check out Queen City REIA.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.