• Rental Property Investor
  • St Petersburg, FL
Votes |
MTR Cleaning and Fees

Brad Stein
  • St Petersburg, FL
Posted Dec 13 2022, 20:00

For those with experience running a fully furnished MTR, curious about the following:

1) what fees do you charge for cleaning ?

2) do you charge separate fees for periodic cleanings and turnover cleanings?

3) how often do you have the property cleaned

I’m not seeing anything about cleaning fees in listings around my property on Furnished Finder so I figured either this is discussed when the interested party reaches out or it’s not customary to charge anything other than rent and security deposit. My property is in St Pete, FL for reference.

User Stats

Votes
Nicholas Davaul
Pro Member
  • Katy, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Katy, TX
Replied Dec 14 2022, 10:29

Hello Brad,

1. That is going to be relative to your area.  Best to call around to talk with various cleaning professionals and/or companies.   Make sure you tell them you'll need a set price and not the hourly price, relative to a "regular" clean and a "deep" clean.     I would use the "Deep" clean price as the set cleaning fee after every MTR.  Let's face it, not everyone keeps their house rent-ready on a monthly basis (or at all).   The Deep clean will do just that after they leave.     For one of my 3/2 houses, a DEEP clean (w/o pets) is around $300-$400, and they clean top to bottom.  It's impressive.   The renters know that this deep clean is mandatory and comes out of the security deposit.  

Usually, there is only one price for cleaning on all the booking sites—cleaning fees are not a sliding scale on whether the guest stayed a month or six.  So, I advise over- shooting what you think it will cost (just in case) while aiming not to make it ridiculous.  The "over-shoot" is in case the cleaners have to focus on or put more effort in cleaning something (Wine Stains, Pet Stains, etc....)

2. I also offer the renter an "add-on" for monthly cleanings.    That way, if the renter wants a "clean" house, they can use our "recommended" cleaners.   Plus it gives the cleaners an opportunity to make $$$ for their business

3. As stated in #1.   Deep clean after each stay (typically ~3-4 months). 

Either way, cleaning prices will vary (like everything else) from area to area.  The best way is to call some of the cleaning services in your area, or even some of the hosts on FF or AirBnB and ask them.

User Stats

Votes
Allen Duan
Pro Member
#2 Medium-Term Rentals Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 Medium-Term Rentals Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Dec 19 2022, 13:52

Hi Brad,

We're in Los Angeles and our cleaning fees vary based on property size. We have studio apartments to 3 bedroom homes with rates from $200-400. I agree with a lot of what Nicholas said. Get rates from cleaners you want to work with and charge those to the guests. Whether you list it as a cleaning up front or take it out of a deposit, doesn't make much of a difference.

We don't offer mid stay cleanings but will accommodate when we can if requested by our guests. We're usually only cleaning after a booking checks out. Every few bookings we do pay our cleaner more to do an extra deep clean. You'll have to work out which items need cleaning after every stay and which items need cleaning every 3, 6, or 12 months and how you want to coordinate and pay for those.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Sandra McEwan
Pro Member
  • Tampa, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Tampa, FL
Replied Jan 26 2024, 12:39
Quote from @Brad Stein:

For those with experience running a fully furnished MTR, curious about the following:

1) what fees do you charge for cleaning ?

2) do you charge separate fees for periodic cleanings and turnover cleanings?

3) how often do you have the property cleaned

I’m not seeing anything about cleaning fees in listings around my property on Furnished Finder so I figured either this is discussed when the interested party reaches out or it’s not customary to charge anything other than rent and security deposit. My property is in St Pete, FL for reference.

@Brad Stein Hi Brad, what did you decide on the cleanings?