• Wholesaler
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
Reno costs on a fully gutted 3/1?

Pete Milenkovich
  • Wholesaler
  • Columbus, OH
Posted Apr 6 2023, 08:07

I’m looking at a deal today I’m hopeful I can wholesale. It’s a 2BR/1BA just under 1100 sqft but can be easily converted to a 3/1. It’s currently gutted to the studs and needs all new mechanicals. I’m not sure how to estimate repair costs on a house like this as I’ve never actually done a flip before myself. Is this a deal that should be estimated with a generalized price by sqft  or a different way? Let me know! Thanks

User Stats

Votes
Caleb Brown
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Blue Springs
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Blue Springs
Replied Apr 6 2023, 08:10

For my area(KC) it'd be anywhere from 70K+. Now this is hiring a GC. There are a lot of variables since I don't know the area so network with some GC's or local investors. Definitely go conservative. Don't be a wholesaler that'd put 40-50K on rehab

User Stats

Votes
Scott E.
  • Developer
  • Scottsdale, AZ
Votes |
  • Developer
  • Scottsdale, AZ
Replied Apr 6 2023, 08:24

Your best bet is going to be to walk this property with a GC.

To do this in my area would cost $125k+. That's just a ballpark estimate without seeing photos and knowing every detail about the home.

Another thing to consider is bathroom count. Out here the market wouldn't respond well to a 3 bedroom with only 1 bathroom. With 1,100 square feet it's going to be very tight, but there should be room to add a 3/4 bath. 

(I'm flipping a house right now that is 1,148 square feet with 3 bedroom, 2 baths so I know it's possible lol)

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Marc Rice
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Apr 6 2023, 16:35
Quote from @Pete Milenkovich:

I’m looking at a deal today I’m hopeful I can wholesale. It’s a 2BR/1BA just under 1100 sqft but can be easily converted to a 3/1. It’s currently gutted to the studs and needs all new mechanicals. I’m not sure how to estimate repair costs on a house like this as I’ve never actually done a flip before myself. Is this a deal that should be estimated with a generalized price by sqft  or a different way? Let me know! Thanks

I've seen clients' single family 1250sqft 3bd/2.5ba be $80-140k range depending on how nice of the finishes and if the exterior needs all new siding, roof, and building a garage. I'm happy to analyze the deal based upon photos/videos if needed. I've done a lot of rehabs here in Columbus.

User Stats

Votes
Zac Mckenzie
  • Contractor
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Contractor
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Apr 10 2023, 09:17

Hey Pete, We are a Investor specific GC group here in Columbus. A Lot of the info above is reflective of what our experience has shown the market to bare out. A complete reno from studs out including mechanicals should run you from 75-120 / SF depending on lots of variables and your end strategy. The best way is to walk the property with a qualified and licensed GC. Best of luck 

User Stats

Votes
Jerryll Noorden#1 Wholesaling Contributor
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Wilton, CT
Votes |
Jerryll Noorden#1 Wholesaling Contributor
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Wilton, CT
Replied Apr 10 2023, 12:56

Brand new roof: $7K- $13K

Flooring about $$6K to $9K

All appliances, $3K to $5K

Sheetrock, $6K to $12K

Taping Mudding Painting: $6K- $9K

Mechanicals, $4K-$6K

Kitchen:: $12K-$15K

Bathroom $5K-$7K

Plumbing, $7K

Electrical $10K

Miscellaneous, light fixtures, doors, windows, screws, material etc. etc. $20K

It adds up.

User Stats

Votes
Jimmy Lieu
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Apr 10 2023, 13:01
Quote from @Pete Milenkovich:

Hi Pete, as a local investor and agent here in Columbus Ohio, I've done quite a few BRRRRs and flips myself and have handled tons of renovations and have tons of experience with estimating renovation costs and coming up with a renovation list to fix. Also, I've done quite a bit of project management in the past for my real estate clients too. I would say there isn't a black and white way to figure out renovation costs - its all based on how the property looks like. I'd be happy to connect and help out any way I can help.

User Stats

Votes
Brandon Goldsmith
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Apr 10 2023, 14:39

From my experience, if you have to rearrange any of the layout that will add up more costs. As some said, costs can vary across the board to best to get a quote from a few GC's @Pete Milenkovich

User Stats

Votes
Simon Ashbaugh
  • Realtor
Votes |
  • Realtor
Replied Apr 11 2023, 06:32

for mid-grade remodel plan on around 60k/side