Furay Chang
  • New to Real Estate
Votes |
Getting started on Wholesaling

Furay Chang
  • New to Real Estate
Posted Apr 18 2023, 03:45

Hey guys 

First time investors but long time lurker here. I’ve been looking into doing wholesaling as it seems low money down. 

any tips? Or anyone in the area willing to lend some guidance? 

User Stats

Votes
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Apr 18 2023, 03:47

Wholesaling requires zero money, but it requires a lot of time. Spend most of your time building a buyers list.

User Stats

Votes
Lydia R.#4 Wholesaling Contributor
  • Wholesaler
  • Austin TX
Votes |
  • Wholesaler
  • Austin TX
Replied Apr 19 2023, 06:49
Quote from @Furay Chang:

Hey guys 

First time investors but long time lurker here. I’ve been looking into doing wholesaling as it seems low money down. 

Wholesaling is great, but there is a lot to learn. You are definitely in the right place to get all the information you need to get started. Wholesaling has 4 main parts
1. Marketing for Motivated Sellers
2. Negotiation, Offer & Executed Purchase Agreement
3. Marketing to find Cash Buyers
4. Closing 

Most  of your efforts will be spent marketing, because none of the other steps happen without a motivated seller. My best advice there is to come up with a reasonable budget. What can you afford to spend each month on marketing? Dont fall into the "I will spend all my money on this one marketing run because surely I will get a deal and be able to fund the next round" trap. Because if you dont get a deal now you are knocking on doors because thats all your budget allows for. Once you have a marketing budget, devise a strategy (or multiple strategies) that fit within this budget. 
Some low cost ideas include: 
Driving for dollars
Bandit Signs
Cold Calling
Cold Texting
Word of Mouth/Social Media
Facebook Ads (You can run a campaign for $5-10/day

This doesnt nearly cover everything you need to know, but its a start. If you have any other questions feel free to reach out! I can recommend an excellent book that includes all the information you need to have in order to get a proper and successful start. 
Good Luck and welcome to the wild world of real estate wholesaling!
BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Bob Stevens
Pro Member
#3 General Landlording & Rental Properties Contributor
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Votes |
Pro Member
#3 General Landlording & Rental Properties Contributor
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Replied Apr 19 2023, 06:53
Quote from @Furay Chang:

Hey guys 

YES get to a RE meeting and learn. You are not ready ,  Just find the deals, everything else will take care of itself. 

User Stats

Votes
Tanner Pile
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Colorado Springs, CO
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Colorado Springs, CO
Replied Apr 19 2023, 09:22

@Furay Chang

@Lydia R. gave the best advice you will need to get started. One thing I would add is you need to stay disciplined. You will find times where you have no success and no results or leads from marketing and you will lose determination to keep going. This is when you must stay disciplined to what your strategy is to be successful. 

If you find a deal let me know! I may buy it my self or can help find a buyer in my network. 

Good Luck!

User Stats

Votes
Lydia R.#4 Wholesaling Contributor
  • Wholesaler
  • Austin TX
Votes |
  • Wholesaler
  • Austin TX
Replied Apr 20 2023, 09:36
Quote from @Tanner Pile:

@Furay Chang

@Lydia R. gave the best advice you will need to get started. One thing I would add is you need to stay disciplined. You will find times where you have no success and no results or leads from marketing and you will lose determination to keep going. This is when you must stay disciplined to what your strategy is to be successful. 

If you find a deal let me know! I may buy it my self or can help find a buyer in my network. 

Good Luck!

Absolutely right! I did forget to mention discipline. It will take some time to get some results but if you stay consistent you will eventually see long lasting results. Always follow up because there will always be people who arent ready right now and you need to stay in front of them because eventually they'll be ready and you want to be there.