Probate question

8 Replies

Hi BP Community!

I'm currently attempting probate marketing, and want to be sure that I hit the right notes with this particular demographic.

My question is: What are the biggest concerns for someone going through the grieving/probate process? I want to address this in the letter to begin establishing rapport. I haven't been through this process, so it's hard to relate, but I'm trying to put myself in their shoes, you know?

So far, some potential problems I've identified are:

-sibling feuding over property

-feeling overwhelmed- not knowing where to start

-a large amount of items that need to be sold

I'm trying to pinpoint some needs that I can take care of, besides the obvious needs of cash and quick closing for some.

How can I stand out through my letters and really offer these families "something extra?".

Thanks,

Dylan

Forget the grieving issue. When people file a probate, it means that they're ready to start dealing with the "stuff"

It doesn't mean that we shouldn't be sensitive, of course, however I don't think you have to walk on eggshells around them, either.

You've got a good start with some situational triggers. My suggestion is that you focus mostly on trying to offer assistance to take a load off their shoulders and become an insider as to what their plans are.

@Rick H. - thanks for your feedback- this was my original mindset, to take a very matter-of-fact approach without being overly wishy-washy. I'll take your advice, and tailor my marketing to that effect.

Thanks again!

@Dylan Grieve On my probate letters I use the same exact letter I use with my high equity owners- saying essentially: I want to buy your house and here's why you might benefit from selling to an investor.

I think if the letter tries to sympathize you may end up offending people because they may perceive the sympathy as insincere and that you really just 'want' something from them.

I prefer my probate letters to seem more coincidental- they're going through inheriting a house and 'just so happen' to get a letter about selling the house.

All that said, the best bet with any direct marketing is to test because you won't know until you try it. Try sympathizing, try not, see what works better.

@Jonathan C. - thanks for your feedback; I agree with the potential to offend someone with an overbearing letter, so as Rick said as well, I'll keep it pretty straight to the point. Thanks.

@Dylan Grieve - consider also that the heir's are dealing with the dynamic's involved in probate as well as the mixed emotions -

Good Luck

Mark

Mark, thanks- and yes, I'm trying to find a healthy balance between showing respect and also showing them the benefits of working with me. I guess it's all about how well you can get into the reader's shoes, and identify with what they might be feeling at the time.

Mine have a very quick acknowledgement of their situation, one sentence, respectful and courteous and then on to the practical stuff.

When you get to the point of being on the phone with people you will be able to tell very quickly whether they are still emotional about the event and should adjust how you speak to them.

Be aware also that, no matter how you phrase it, you will get some angry calls and letters. People are hurting and will take it out on you. Don't take it personal. There are just as many people who appreciate the opportunity you are offering and are ready to deal with you in a business like manner.

@Nathan Baumgart - thanks for your advice and the heads up. I've only sent out the first batch, so it may be 3 or 4 more mailings before any responses, but I'm preparing myself for super-motivated, super-angry, and everything in between. Working as a registered nurse has definitely equipped me to deal with these situations well.

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.