Business Cards for Wholesaling?

17 Replies

Hi. I hope this isn't a stupid question (in case there is, in fact, such thing), but what you recommend a wholesaler put on a business card (other than one's contact info, of course)? Does the usual "I buy houses" really apply to a form of real estate investing such as wholesaling, as you're NOT really buying the house? Basically, I'm just getting started with this, and am trying to figure out what wording to use. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

You ARE a buyer though, you just happen to transfer your interest at closing. Saying anything different on your business cards such as "I Wholesale Houses" is just adding unnecessary confusion in my opinion. Plus, at some point you'll probably end up closing on properties yourself so keep the same message and you won't have to change up your business cards.

Agreed. And if you feel weird about it there's always the option of getting transactional funding for your deal and doing a double-close. Then you really are buying the property then selling it the same day.

Agreed. On my cards to sellers I keep it simple:

I BUY HOUSES FOR CASH

DIVORCE,UGLY,UNWANTED,UNNEEDED, ANY CONDITION

NAME:

PHONE#

EMAIL:

& on my cards to investors

I have more information explaining my business my contact info and my name. 

Okay, well then it's unanimous (so far, at least) -- even wholesalers are considered buyers of houses and should have business cards that reflect that. Cool. Thanks to all those who responded! 

Also, I recommend a non-glossy white-back card so whoever you are giving it to can write something on the back. People get a lot of business cards, so make it obvious what you do, and leave them a place to write on the back. This is especially important at networking events, but others write on there too..

Welcome to BP Jordan!

I keep the same message on my business cards although I may tweak it when I re-order to allows me to keep up with which marketing campaign I'm doing. I use a referral bonus on my cards also. Do you plan on using an answering service? You'll want one if you don't wanna be answering calls all day. You'll be getting calls when you start passing them out! Bandit Signs work pretty good too for your marketing effort. Anyway, I hope this helps.

Originally posted by @Mike Sumsky:

You ARE a buyer though, you just happen to transfer your interest at closing. Saying anything different on your business cards such as "I Wholesale Houses" is just adding unnecessary confusion in my opinion. Plus, at some point you'll probably end up closing on properties yourself so keep the same message and you won't have to change up your business cards.

Great insight Mike. That [ wholesaler is buyer a buyer concept ] was necessary to understand. Much appreciated!

D'Mark,

Thanks for your response (again, along with everyone else's). Just to answer your questions, you know what? I haven't really even gotten that far yet. I'll probably start with just answering calls myself (maybe with a Google Voice number or something like that) and I'll see if it gets overwhelming. Sounds like a nice problem to have, so I hope I do! As for bandit signs, that's one form of marketing I have some reservations about. I'm not even sure about their legality in my area (I'm sure I could find out if need be), but I can tell you that I sure haven't noticed any around, which is probably a sign. But, again, right now for me it's just about getting out there and meeting people (including an upcoming Bigger Pockets meetup!), so that's why I'm working on the card. Thanks again.

This post has been removed.

Originally posted by @Jordan Solomon:

D'Mark,

Thanks for your response (again, along with everyone else's). Just to answer your questions, you know what? I haven't really even gotten that far yet. I'll probably start with just answering calls myself (maybe with a Google Voice number or something like that) and I'll see if it gets overwhelming. Sounds like a nice problem to have, so I hope I do! As for bandit signs, that's one form of marketing I have some reservations about. I'm not even sure about their legality in my area (I'm sure I could find out if need be), but I can tell you that I sure haven't noticed any around, which is probably a sign. But, again, right now for me it's just about getting out there and meeting people (including an upcoming Bigger Pockets meetup!), so that's why I'm working on the card. Thanks again.

Jordan,

I thought this link may be of interest in case you do implement Google Voice.

http://9to5google.com/2014/03/18/google-plans-kill-google-voice-in-months-integrate-features-into-hangouts/

Good conversation - a few thoughts:

1) Business cards are critical to communicating who you are and what you offer to solve other people's problems.  They are the very first thing we create for people that join our system and an important part of your identity.   At just pennies per card, they are one of the most efficient means to market your business IF you are aggressive about getting out there and meeting people.

2) Advertising - You can bet that bandit signs are a violation of city ordinance ("illegal") in your area.  Look at doing pay-per-click advertising and also direct mail.  We almost always mail to absentee owners & one benefit you get from that is many of those guys are investors, so over time - if you hit them repeatedly and your identity is memorable - they become aware of you and the opportunity to work with you on deals.

3) Phone calls - Guys, you have to do a BOATLOAD of advertising to generate more calls than you can handle, so volume is not the problem.  I see too many people waste all this time, money and energy on setting up PatLive or whatever and then there are hardly any calls.  This is a BUSINESS and businesses require a start-up period - you don't put up signs or send 500 postcards and expect a deluge of phone calls, especially in Westchester County.  Expect to put a lot of time, sweat, and money into building your business.  Heavy call volume is not going to be a problem until you're spending over $5,000 per month on advertising.

4) Wholesaling in general - I don't like the term "wholesaler".  It's a made up word in our business - means nothing to sellers.  But the main problem I have with it is that it limits the very idea of who you are and what you do.  Think of yourself as a real estate SOLUTION PROVIDER.  "Wholesaling" is a solution for about 1 in 20 sellers.  What do you have for the other 19?  Can you list them?  Do lease options?  Owner financing?  Rehab them with hard money?  If the only product you offer is "wholesaling", I don't think you have a business in the current market where leads can cost you $100, $200+ each in advertising cost.  But it's not a problem with wholesaling in concept - it's a problem with how you define yourself and your business.  Strip off the limitations of being a "wholesaler" and become a consultative solution provider for sellers with problem situations.  THAT is a business opportunity.

Happy Investing!

Wow! Awesome info, @Dev Horn ! Definitely useful to those of us who are new to REI. I particularly like the idea of not setting yourself up bigger than you need to right out of the gate. I also like the idea of having a Real-Estate Solution Provider mindset. Originally I was going to start out "wholesaling", but the more potential deals I look at the more I find myself looking at multiple exit strategies. After all, a successful wholesaler should be looking at properties through the eyes of their potential end-buyers anyway and what exit strategies they may be using. Again...thanks for the great info in your response!

@Dev Horn  excellent excellent advice.  My only problem with business cards is that when I get them I end up losing them more times then not.  I imagine that happens to cards I hand out as well.

I'm sure that is a lack of organization on my part, but those damn things are so small and get lost easily.  

Is there an app that I can take a picture of them with my phone and it scrapes the info off and puts them into a database of sorts?

Brian,

Thanks for posting that. This could probably be its own thread, but since you brought it up here, I don't quite get what this implies (admittedly I'm not much of a techie). Bottom line -- does this mean that a currently-existing Google Voice number will no longer be valid (thereby making any business cards I have with the Google Voice number on it useless)? If these numbers do, in fact, stop working, I would have to think that would be a problem for many investors (even J Scott recommends it in his book).

If so, any alternatives that you like? Obviously, I just don't feel 100% comfortable giving out to so many people my "real" phone number!

Again, sorry if this is a bit off-topic, but then again, if this thread is about business cards and one's phone number obviously goes on one's business card, in that respect it's perfectly topical! Thanks.

Yeah, whatever happened to the idea of us just pointing these smartphones at each other and exchanging our info wirelessly? =)

For giving your info to sellers in a way that it might be retained, I really like the idea of things that can be easily stuck to a refrigerator.  We've used magnetic business cards - which can cost too much - and also sticky notes which only cost about a penny

Here's another business card idea that we copied from real estate agents (in addition to including PHOTOS on our direct mail pieces).  The business card is included on a postcard - so the recipient can tear it off and save it (or put it on the frig!).  I bet GoBig Printing has a template for this postcard design that anyone can use (check with [email protected]).  I really like this Idea.

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.