found a vacant house - can't find address...

8 Replies

hi,

i've found a few properties in my area that are clearly abandoned.  i can't find mail boxes or an address or anything.  

any ideas on getting it?  

cheers

A tax map... I use a FREE service that supplies them for almost the entire Country. As well as comparable sales and property profiles

Patrick,

I would recommend calling the county tax office.  They can usually look up addresses for each tax parcel.

Hope this helps.

Greg

@Patrick Britton  most cities and counties have vastly improved their GIS sites in the past few years. Just Google "your county GIS" and that should point you in the right direction. Usually they will include an aerial overlay so you can be sure you are looking at the right property.

Originally posted by @Michael Q.:

A tax map... I use a FREE service that supplies them for almost the entire Country. As well as comparable sales and property profiles

So if I may, what FREE service do you use?  

Patrick,

One simple method we us is to "pin" it on the google maps app on our phone. The app is amazingly accurate and simple. It even shows the lot lines and the outline of the house. Even if you are not in the area but know it is "the third house from the corner", for example, you can go to the app, put in the cross streets and locate it that way. Try this and see if it works. 

Good luck!

Bruce

The addresses of the adjacent houses should establish a pattern that make this address fairly obvious, even if your county doesn't have a good online GIS system.

what i tried and found successful was getting the closest address I could (a neighbor's) and then using FASTweb.  while not free it comes with my job and provides a fair bit of information, including mailing address of owner.  

At first I was going to suggest using google maps to find the address, but after reading the comments in a lifehacker article I found this not to be accurate. Here is how to find an address using Zillow.com

Click on the "Buy" link in the upper left area on the zillow.com home page.

Drag the map to the location of the house and then left click on the desired house.

You will then see the address.

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here