Learned a valuable lesson today - Always have a TIME next to the date on a contract

Learned a valuable lesson today - Always have a TIME next to the date on a contract

Investor · Edmond, OK · Member since 2011 · 166 posts · 31 votes

Today I met a seller and negotiated a great deal. We signed the purchase agreement in the kitchen before I left. He had mentioned that he had scheduled a few appointments in the afternoon, but I assumed he would cancel them since we had a signed agreement. I hadn't had time to get to my scanner yet when he called and told me he signed a contract for $6,000 more with another buyer. I could probably raise a stink and hold up their deal, but I'd rather keep my reputation with that investor than make the money. I hadn't quite decided if I was going to keep the property as a rental or wholesale the deal off, but I guess I don't have to think about that any longer.

Lesson learned - always have a time next to the date for possible proof of having the first contract... and, get it to the title company as quickly as possible (although 4 hours isn't that long haha).

0Reply
6 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Ann Arbor, MI · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 997 votes
    11y

    dang.  sorry to hear that.  but thanks for sharing.  mistakes are typically the best ways to learn...

  • Real Estate Professional · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2012 · 23k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    11y

    A time wouldn't really matter, since the other one wouldn't have one.  Recording something in the courthouse is the only thing that creates any "notice" or semblance of protection.

  • Investor · Edmond, OK · Member since 2011 · 166 posts · 31 votes
    11y

    Wayne, you're right, but I could probably at least have a leg up on asking the other buyer to back off or get the title company to work with me.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.