Is it safe for a young female to be a wholesaler?

22 Replies

I'm really interested in becoming a wholesaler. However, as a young, single female I simply do not feel comfortable just going inside random people's houses! I have heard of female realtors getting raped and worse, so if it's not safe for them I don't see how it would be safe for me to do this alone ( I don't have enough money to hire someone to go with me).  Is there any way to  do this while keeping my distance from  the sellers and buyers?  thank you for taking the time to read this, your help would be much appreciated :)

I'm puzzled by this question, but since no one else has responded yet I will try. Frankly, I think with this kind of attitude you would probably be better off with another job. Fear is a handicap, and unfortunately in my experience it is a handicap that draws trouble to you. I can't explain it and don't presume to try, but people tend to experience what they expect. The reality is that the vast majority of people are decent, even good, and very very few people are rapists and murderers. But if you don't like those odds then avoid situations where you are alone with another human.

Gotta totally agree with Jean Bolger. If you will it to yourself(good / bad), it will come. Is it safe to walk the streets of anytown USA after sundown as a female? What about doing laundry in your apartment complex when noone else is around? Is is safe to live alone as a female? OMG you can be tramatized at every thought each question brings. Do you leave your current place of employment alone as a woman, enter the elevator and walk thru the parking garage all without being accompanied as a female? I hope you find what you are looking for in any event, best regards.

Kudos,

Mary

I applaud you for thinking about your safety. I am a Realtor as well as an investor and take safety precautions. As you've stated, female agents have been murdered and raped. However, male agents have also been attacked and murdered. No one is "safe". Most people are fine.  

Is wholesaling safe for a single woman? Probably it is as risky as it is for a male. Or a single female who does some other occupation. Take safety precautions. Get some safety training whether self-defense training or other. Screen clients (again...screen clients. PM me if you want details). Become great at what you do. Walk away from uncooperative or "off" situations/clients. Listen to your gut. Emit confidence in a humble manner. This will prevent many problems. Look people in the eye. Smile and look people in the eye. Stand tall but not stiff. Have some swagger. Be something to reckon with. The bad guys go for easy targets. Be too much trouble to mess with. It doesn't matter what job you have.  

Originally posted by @Jean Bolger :

I'm puzzled by this question, but since no one else has responded yet I will try. Frankly, I think with this kind of attitude you would probably be better off with another job. Fear is a handicap, and unfortunately in my experience it is a handicap that draws trouble to you. I can't explain it and don't presume to try, but people tend to experience what they expect. The reality is that the vast majority of people are decent, even good, and very very few people are rapists and murderers. But if you don't like those odds then avoid situations where you are alone with another human.

Wow. Not to be rude, but as someone who has been assaulted in the past, and personally  known others who have been, your response to my question not only comes across as ignorant, but it is EXTREMELY offensive.  Just because YOU have never personally been assaulted in this type of situation doesn't mean no one else has, there was a female realtor just last month was was found DEAD.  Are you insinuating that she was brutally murdered and taken from her loved ones because she expected it? Seriously, how could you say that? The fact that you could ever say something like that is just... Wow. My concerns are COMPLETELY warranted and for you to insinuate that I  have an "attitude" is just outright inappropriate. Please don't ever post in another one of my threads  ever again.  

Originally posted by @Stephanie Dupuis :

I applaud you for thinking about your safety. I am a Realtor as well as an investor and take safety precautions. As you've stated, female agents have been murdered and raped. However, male agents have also been attacked and murdered. No one is "safe". Most people are fine.  

Is wholesaling safe for a single woman? Probably it is as risky as it is for a male. Or a single female who does some other occupation. Take safety precautions. Get some safety training whether self-defense training or other. Screen clients (again...screen clients. PM me if you want details). Become great at what you do. Walk away from uncooperative or "off" situations/clients. Listen to your gut. Emit confidence in a humble manner. This will prevent many problems. Look people in the eye. Smile and look people in the eye. Stand tall but not stiff. Have some swagger. Be something to reckon with. The bad guys go for easy targets. Be too much trouble to mess with. It doesn't matter what job you have.  

Thank you so much for your response, I appreciate it! And you bring up a very good point, it's important for everyone to be safe, not just women.

I'm seriously trying not to break down in tears right now, that comment was very hurtful as someone who has  been a victim of assault.

@Account Closed , no one was trying to hurt your feelings, shake it off and move on.  You will feel better than dwelling on it.  When you have thousands of folks posting you will see a lot of different views.  Your views are shaped by your experiences and their views are shaped by yours.

Oops their views are shaped by their experiences

Account Closed I'm certained that noone had the intentions to hurt your feelings in response to your post. However you can't always walk the grey line. Either you are a survivor and regardless of whatever misfortunes you have overcome you choose to take action to live beyond that or you decide the opposite and wither away. Hopefully you shun the later and move beyond those misfortunes to a better place in your life.  Not to be mean / thoughtless but there are plenty of women that have gone thru horrific ordeals in their lives and because they decided to fight if in their mind at first they came out alive and wish to stay that way. They don't hide in their houses somewhere in the mountains with noone else around being a hermit either. Its up to you what you do but if you choose to live than by all means LIVE. That's my coin on it.

Kudos,

Mary

It's one thing to encourage someone to be a survivor and rise above hardships. It's a completely  different thing ENTIRELY to imply that having a desire to be safe and take precautions is synonymous with having an "attitude" and asking a question means that being an investor isn't right for me. It is a completely different thing  to have a callous and arrogant attitude towards things you don't understand, completely trivialize the  significance and prevalence of  rape and sexual assault in our society and the potentially  imbalanced power dynamic between men and women  in this type of situation, especially for someone just starting out ( and is very petite and practically looks like a child), and  to  imply that any assault you have experienced in  life is your own fault.  That is disgusting and it's wrong. Reported.

I guess your best option is to just stay home locked in your room. I mean, you could leave your house and who knows what might happen to you! Those sellers and buyers are the worst though - notorious for devious acts against humanity. They should all be locked up!!

Originally posted by Account Closed:

I guess your best option is to just stay home locked in your room. I mean, you could leave your house and who knows what might happen to you! Those sellers and buyers are the worst though - notorious for devious acts against humanity. They should all be locked up!!

How dare you make a joke of this. This is a very serious topic. You should be ashamed of yourself. 

Account Closed 

I understand your concerns and you're wise to have them.  Though the chances of being attacked are low, they are real...it happens all the time. Why not have a friend accompany you...even if they just wait in the car?  You might also consider carrying a weapon (legally, of course). The best protection though is being alert and mentally prepared. Always have a mental plan of defense (counter-attack!) or flight. 

You were quick to assert yourself when you felt 'attacked' here. Though I don't think the other posters meant any harm, it does show that you are willing to 'go to war' when provoked. Having that 'warrior mentality' in the field will help you. 

Account Closed 

There really isn't much out there that is safe.  But I would guess the probability of anything happening is pretty low.  I wonder if you are more likely to get in a severe car accident on the way to the sellers house than for anything else to happen.  Some things are obviously more traumatic than others and some things are scarier than others but I think as far as probabilities go you're in good shape.

If all of us told you that it was completely safe and not to worry about it... I don't think you'd believe it.  So I think you already know there are risks so it's all about how you manage them.  

I read some of the comments that you took issue with and I really thought they were mostly on point... Maybe a little blunt, maybe slightly sarcastic, but there were no personal attacks so I'd be careful about burning bridges with the members on here.  None of us know what you've been through, we're all just here to talk real estate and no one assumes that they should tiptoe around a question on an open forum.

May I suggest just simply bring a partner with you or another person (man or women) with you that you trust  and go keep that appointment. Please don't be afraid, but do stay alert to your surrounding and trust your guts.

Account Closed I am sorry that you felt offended by my post. I would however like to point out that you actually know exactly nothing of my life, or my past experience. After this I will certainly honor your request to ignore your posts.

Account Closed 

When I was doing pre foreclosure work ( before the new laws came into effect) I had two teams that knocked on each door of every NOD in my 3 counties.

one women one man... and that worked great... Ladies felt safe and frankly they were smarter and better closers than the guys  LOL...

team up..

Being a RE broker for 40 years and my wife of almost 30 safety is an issue and yes there are predators out there no question about that..

since in wholesaling your not going to be knocking a ton of doors you should be able to get a companion and it could be female I guess as well.. without to much trouble.

Originally posted by Account Closed:
Originally posted by @Jean Bolger:

Wow. Not to be rude, but as someone who has been assaulted in the past, and personally  known others who have been, your response to my question not only comes across as ignorant, but it is EXTREMELY offensive.  Just because YOU have never personally been assaulted in this type of situation doesn't mean no one else has, there was a female realtor just last month was was found DEAD.  Are you insinuating that she was brutally murdered and taken from her loved ones because she expected it? Seriously, how could you say that? The fact that you could ever say something like that is just... Wow. My concerns are COMPLETELY warranted and for you to insinuate that I  have an "attitude" is just outright inappropriate. Please don't ever post in another one of my threads  ever again.  

There are a half a million realtors in the US.  I think statistics would tell you that you are more likely to die in a car accident on your way to the house then die from any type of assault from the owner.  

To answer your question, no, as a beginner, you cannot do this without being involved with people and properties.  After you do deals and build your company you will be able to afford an assistant, security guard, whatever you need, but starting off everyone bootstraps, and that means doing the dirty work yourself.

This post has been removed.

Account Closed  consider virtual wholesaling.  check out the podcast with Mike Nelson.  I can't recall the number.  40 something I think. 

You should try to overcome your fear though.  this business is for hard people with thick skin and quite the edge...as you can tell

Patrick Britton, Real Estate Agent in WA (#120557)
360-927-0959

and as Alec Balwin's character in Glen Gary, Glen Ross said, "It take brass balls to sell real estate." 

Patrick Britton, Real Estate Agent in WA (#120557)
360-927-0959
Originally posted by @Jean Bolger :

@Jessica W. I am sorry that you felt offended by my post. I would however like to point out that you actually know exactly nothing of my life, or my past experience. After this I will certainly honor your request to ignore your posts.

Thank you for your apology, it means a lot. I'm sorry if I overreacted, tbh I'm still working through the situation I was a victim of and it's a very sensitive issue for me, but I guess that's my problem. Perhaps I misunderstood what you were really trying to say. I've had some more time to think about what you  said and have since calmed down. Please know that my reaction towards you wasn't personal, and maybe I shouldn't have brought up such an emotionally charged and sensitive topic on here.

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.