wholesaling HUD homes?

9 Replies

hello bp, I have a contact here in Illinois and northwest Indiana who comes I'm contact with HUD homes on a daily basis. They work for the bank to upkeep homes that have foreclosed or whatever the case may be.

With that being said, I have eyes on homes that just hit the market again.

My questions: 

1. Is it possible to wholesale HUD homes

2. If so, please explain the process so I can get started.

3.  Are there any investors in Illinois or Indiana that want to get in contact with me? Whether to help or to do business with me.

Thanks in advance,

Austin

@Austin Richey I buy/wholesale about 75 HUD homes a year in Central Indiana.

One can NOT "assign" and do a traditional wholesale, however. This is true with most REO properties.

What I do is more of a "whole-tail", I buy [with OPM] and close on the property and then either double close or sell it in a few days/weeks to other investor once I've closed on it.

Since there is no deed restrictions on HUD homes, this can be done easily.

I hope that helps.

@Shawn Holsapple you've given the simplest method I've seen regarding wholesaling HUD homes. I've heard extensive methods such as creating an LLC and then selling the LLC do you do this as well or do you do exactly as you've stated above ?

@Cierra Seay Yes, I've heard of that but looked into it.  It can be a little costly to setup and I've been told by a few different attorney's that it's not the best thing to do - so, I've just stuck with my way.

Also, by buying so many in the same name from HUD, I get a good status with the asset managers - which can help ones chances of getting an accepted offer.

Originally posted by @Shawn Holsapple :

@Cierra Seay Yes, I've heard of that but looked into it.  It can be a little costly to setup and I've been told by a few different attorney's that it's not the best thing to do - so, I've just stuck with my way.

Also, by buying so many in the same name from HUD, I get a good status with the asset managers - which can help ones chances of getting an accepted offer.

Thanks for responding. I really appreciate your advice and tips. What do you suggest is the best way of obtaining OPM? 

Also, if you could just give me an ex. Of how you would handle a hud deal. So I can learn more

Thanks so much, Shawn. Seriously thanks appreciate your advice

@Shawn Holsapple that make perfect sense in terms of creating a relationship with the asset managers. Thanks for your insight.

Sean is one of the best at it in Central Indiana.

Originally posted by @Austin Richey :
Originally posted by @Shawn Holsapple:

Thanks for responding. I really appreciate your advice and tips. What do you suggest is the best way of obtaining OPM? 

Also, if you could just give me an ex. Of how you would handle a hud deal. So I can learn more

Thanks so much, Shawn. Seriously thanks appreciate your advice

First you have to align yourself with an investor friendly agent/broker that has a HUD NAID number so they can make the offers for you.

Then put together your target list of assets [ you want to offer on and start making offers - daily].  To maximize results, one needs to make offers EVERY day.

Since I'm a broker, I make my own offers. I offer on every HUD listing in my area.

It's a numbers game, you have to make lots of offers to get a few.  I typically buy anywhere from 30%- 80% of list price.

OPM - It took me a while to believe that is out there. I just started asking everyone I ran into if "they know anyone that has an IRA or CD that isn't performing as well as they hoped". This can lead to lots of private funding...

You can also set up a "land trust" instead of LLC. In Illinois LLC is very costly to set up.

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.