How does wholesaling work?

How does wholesaling work?

Hockessin, DE · Member since 2015 · 2 posts · 0 votes

Hello, 

I've been studying how wholesaling works for awhile, but I don't have a clear sense of how you get the property to closing and how you get your "wholesaling fee". For example- if I found a property for $80k and wanted to charge a $10k fee how do I go about that? Do I advertise the property for $90k? And how to you set up the agreement of sale so you are able to get out of it if you don't find a buyer? I wouldn't want to be in that situation but that would be good to know just in case. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

0Reply
11 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    11y

    Howdy Kelly. Gonna hop in here before you get a lot of flack. You don't want to "set up the agreement of sales so you are able to get out of it if you don't find a buyer". You want to have other means to be able to close on the property if you can't "find a buyer". You want to make your offers such that it is a great deal for you to buy if you have to. 

    Typically you are wanting to pay 70% of the ARV (after repair value) - repairs and - your "fee". If you are truly getting deals that cheap you will have NO problems moving them. Where most people screw up and give wholesalers a bad name is not being able to close because they agreed to pay too much. Also I wouldn't count on getting 10k per wholesale deal. It happens but most people typically average at around 3.5k.

  • Real Estate Broker · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    11y

    How I negotiate properties is by being completely honest. 

    1)Your house is worth ______ according to market value.

    2)Your house needs ________ dollars worth of work to get that top dollar.

    3) I don't work for free.

    4)I can pay cash at a date of your choosing. 

    5)Knowing your house is worth _______ but needs________ what would you take as an all cash buy out with no contingencies?

  • Hockessin, DE · Member since 2015 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    11y

    Thanks Ryan! So do you use just a standard agreement of sale? And do you give the papers to an attorney before or after you find a buyer?

  • Real Estate Broker · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    11y

    In MO my closings are handled by a title company no attorney involved. You will typically need to use a Special Sale contract if you are buying As-is. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.