Do I need a brokers licence to wholesale in NY?

4 Replies

I know there may be laws pertaining to wholesaling real-estate. I just want to be safe. Thanks fellow BPers!

As long as you are not "promising" to find a buyer for a seller. Use proper contract, find an escrow/title or attorney who specializes in this field. Technically, wholesaling is like "brokering" so a lot of states (not sure on NY, as I stated check with an attorney or ask at some REI club to other NY wholesalers) require wholesaling to have a broker license.

Check this site as well. 

http://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/2015/03/27...

I also work with a lot of wholesalers and can ask around. Feel free to ask if you want specific answers, I'll try to respond as soon as I can.

not sure in NY if you need a license to wholesale. if not right now, it will happen soon. one thing about NY, if they can find a way to tax it, they will. and making you get a license would allow them to tax it. right now, i think you can wholesale without the license, just use the proper contracts and do not promise to find a buyer. that makes you an agent. get the house under contract for yourself and make sure it has a clause allowing you to sell the contract to another. no promises, just a clause that allows you to do it. trust me, if the state of new york requires a wholesalers license to do that, they will let you know. 

This post has been removed.

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here