Elderly lady called me...

11 Replies

Hello, everyone

I got a call from an elderly lady about a month ago from my direct mail marketing campaign. She says her husband has died and that she will sell the house in the future, but it is in the probate process. I felt very heartbroken for her, as she sounded very sad when I spoke to her, and she also mentioned that she is very old and may pass away soon, so the house will go to her son if that happens. I didn't quite know what to say in this phone call, but I told her I was sorry to hear that and said that she could call me whenever she was ready to sell the house and if she needed anything. My question is... how should I follow up with her? I don't want to annoy her and sound pushy since she is going through a very difficult time. How do you guys deal with distressed probate sellers? Any help is appreciated. 

Also, what should you say to sellers who are depressed from the loss of a loved one? How do you let them know you are there for them and that you want to buy their house without coming off as "heartless"?

You could always send flowers or a nice card to her address. This will keep you on top of mind as well as show that you're not heartless. I know that I would appreciate the gesture.

Good Luck!

Originally posted by @Joel Moore :

You could always send flowers or a nice card to her address. This will keep you on top of mind as well as show that you're not heartless. I know that I would appreciate the gesture.

Good Luck!

love this idea!

Originally posted by @Joel Moore :

Good Luck!

Thanks for writting in. 

That sounds like a good idea. I will definitely do that.

What would you do if it was your mom? How would you want her treated? Yes she needs the house sold, but what else could she want?

You may have an ulterior motive in doing so, but you don't have to shove it in her face. Just be a friend and offer to help with other things?

Do you have to do that? Absolutely not. Do you want to, maybe? 

Just remember, RE isn't about houses, it's about people. 

In this day and age, old school neighborly love is all people are really looking for. 

Originally posted by @Justin Fernandez :

What would you do if it was your mom? How would you want her treated? Yes she needs the house sold, but what else could she want?

Such a good point. And if you sent my distressed mother flowers after she called on your marketing, I'd be sure to not let her sell it to you.  Being considerate and professional doesn't mean pretending to be family or a friend when you are not.  

If you do enough marketing you'll begin to recognize the calls from seniors who have no one to talk to.  Many are old school in that they really believe the have to respond to all mail. Many will say they are thinking of selling when it's never going to happen in their life time.  Many times they aren't really in charge of the house as their kids are doing the care and managing the finances, even if the house is in Mom's name. 

Send follow up mail to remind people of your interest, should they be ready to sell.  Don't be creepy and send flowers to distressed strangers calling on your marketing.

Originally posted by K.marie P.:
Originally posted by @Justin Fernandez:

Such a good point. And if you sent my distressed mother flowers after she called on your marketing, I'd be sure to not let her sell it to you.  Being considerate and professional doesn't mean pretending to be family or a friend when you are not.  

If you do enough marketing you'll begin to recognize the calls from seniors who have no one to talk to.  Many are old school in that they really believe the have to respond to all mail. Many will say they are thinking of selling when it's never going to happen in their life time.  Many times they aren't really in charge of the house as their kids are doing the care and managing the finances, even if the house is in Mom's name. 

Send follow up mail to remind people of your interest, should they be ready to sell.  Don't be creepy and send flowers to distressed strangers calling on your marketing.

Thanks for writting in.

So, no flowers then? Should I at least leave a voicemail to follow up with the lady, and to let her know I still want to buy the house? Or do you think mail is better? What works better for you and what seems to get you a better conversion rate?

Originally posted by @Justin Fernandez :

You may have an ulterior motive in doing so, but you don't have to shove it in her face. Just be a friend and offer to help with other things?

Do you have to do that? Absolutely not. Do you want to, maybe? 

Just remember, RE isn't about houses, it's about people. 

In this day and age, old school neighborly love is all people are really looking for. 

I see. Interesting point. Looking at it from your own point of view if you happen to be in that situation really helps me see what actions would be appropriate and what will lead to a win-win situation. Thanks for the input.

Originally posted by @John Baker :

So, no flowers then? Should I at least leave a voicemail to follow up with the lady, and to let her know I still want to buy the house? Or do you think mail is better? What works better for you and what seems to get you a better conversion rate?

Courteous, short and sweet follow up letters work for me.  Many seniors will save every letter you send and put it in some kind of house file or to-do file.  Keep up the follow up every few months  until they ask you to stop or until the property is sold 

Originally posted by K.marie P.:
Originally posted by @John Baker:

Courteous, short and sweet follow up letters work for me.  Many seniors will save every letter you send and put it in some kind of house file or to-do file.  Keep up the follow up every few months  until they ask you to stop or until the property is sold 

Thanks a lot for the advice. I will definitely implement it. Thanks once again! I really appreciate it. 

Be a great listener!! That is the number one thing people need who are grieving. I just went through a similar deal and got through to closing no problem. The initial meeting lasted over 2 hours. The deal was very much worth it and we ended up becoming friends throughout the process!

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.