Bandit Signs?

12 Replies

A hammer and a nail to a telephone pole seems to be the best way. You can use the metal H shaped signs made for Bandit signs but they are kind of flimsy and are easily blown down.

Bandit signs our good if you could get away with them.  Look around your area and see if you could spot any signs.  Don't put your real number. Get your google voice number.  The easiest way to put them up is I believe a sign sledge.  banditsignsolutions.com  Im short so this thing really helps.

@Natalie Williams - Its a great idea! One of the easiest ways to get the phone ringing and start generating seller leads. The easiest way to put them up is to use a tool. I've never used banditsignsolutions.com but it looks like it would work pretty good. The trick is to get them as high on the pole as possible. The higher the they are the less likely they are going to be taken down by the local code enforcement agency or whoevers job it is to take signs down. I use the the tool at signstapler.com. I use a 2 foot step stool along with it so the signs go nice and high.

Putting them out with wire stakes is much easier. I like the 30 inch stakes because the signs just look so much more prominent sticking out of the ground that way but the 15 inch ones work also.

I don't know of a single experienced, successful investor that uses bandit signs. They are tacky and give "real" investors a bad name. This is the same reply I put on the other identical post. 

The Furniture Company and a local Real Estate Agent put up 6 Black and Yellow or Orange and Yellow ground signs on the weekends. I place 6 signs on each corner Saturday morning and pick them up Sunday afternoon. The owner uses busy intersections just outside local city limits to avoid fines. These signs are only a few feet outside Gaithersburg, Maryland limits in Montgomery Village and Germantown. This is why this store has never been fined which is $500 per sign. Bandit ground signs do work after researching local laws and traffic but it can be a hassle.

Most companies that order ground signs usually spend about $200+ for each order.

Steve K: Gaithersburg, Maryland

The best technique is to place them right besides other bandit signs that read, "Cash for diabetes test strips". Hope you can understand sarcasm.

Bandit signs are annoying. Build business without annoying people. I say that with good intentions and not to be a sour face. Honestly I take them down whenever I can safely do so. They add to blight and don't help neighborhood values. Of course I would see them everywhere around where I worked. It is not just REI that use them. There is an ethical principle that suggests thinking about an option and imagine every person doing it. If every person doing it would cause is unethical then a single person doing it is unethical. A similar comparison would be littering. One cigarette butt is harmless, 330 million per hour is not harmless and is unethical. Good business owners should choose behaviors that add value to the community and does not harm it. If everyone put their goals and needs above everyone else then this would be a pretty sad world to live in.

Love,
Mr. Sourface

@Natalie Williams

- In many places, bandit signs are illegal or have very specific requirements about their placement.

- Using a Google Voice number (or the like) to remain anonymous is the antithesis of operating ethically.

- Utility poles are the property of others and not only pose an inconvenience and hazard to utility company workers, the posting of signs and the like is prohibited in at least some states.

Just because others here have posted advice (and may do these things themselves), be cautious about what you do with that information.  Bandit signs are an effective means of lead generation, and if you're going to use them, I encourage you to do it in such a way that is compliant, respectful and transparent.