1st wholesale or short sale deal?

1st wholesale or short sale deal?

Real estate investor, South Africa · Member since 2016 · 12 posts · 1 vote

Hi my name is Carol from South Africa

...Pardon my introductory anthem.... but I still have to since im a newbie to the forum and investing in general.

I have recently been exploring the concept of "Driving for Dollars"as well as Direct mail approach. I find vacant or almost vacant homes and leave yellow letters in their mail box. Every time i go out driving for dollars, I make sure i have top 5 homes which i will pursue wholeheartedly and at least to a point where the home owner agrees to talk to me. 

**I should add, Its not easy driving around in a suburban market at 20km/h without one neighborhood watch and insecure resident calling the cops on you, but its fun once they learn the driver is a woman.**

Anyway, an owner of a Duplex home has been in contact with me regarding offer negotiations. He has disclosed that the home has a mortgage bond of $45.8k ~R700k and he owes $7856 in rates. The home is currently unoccupied.

My plan is the following:

1. Meet and view the home before placing an offer.

2. Get a home inspector ready.

3. In the offer to purchase, a contingency clause that will be added is the home inspection.

4. Use ARV calculations to put an offer down.

5. Dont forget the legal team.

Yesterday someone told me something that's still echoing in mind..."Always plan for the worst case" .....and its surely an art to plan for the worst case.

When the offer I will make, is accepted by the seller......trust that i will share the journey every step of the way. 

0Reply
14 views

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Elmhurst, IL · Member since 2016 · 153 posts · 36 votes
    10y

    Good luck with your deal !

    Don Colagrossi

  • Real Estate Agent · Chicago, IL · Member since 2015 · 238 posts · 101 votes
    10y

    @Carol Mthimkhulu Welcome to BP and Good luck on your investing!

  • Real estate investor, South Africa · Member since 2016 · 12 posts · 1 vote
    10y

    Hi @Don Colagrossi and

    @Gerardo Dominguez

    Thanks for the response. 

    Update on the deal, I again spoke to the "interested" seller who I feel is trying to pull a numbers game on me, some what. . You know the "I have another offer on the house"of course at a much higher price of R860k than Im currently willing to pay for. 

    I did my research on his property and the purchase price for his property was R550k and not the R700k he previously mentioned. 

    Trust that even though I have not been inside to conduct a thorough inspection and estimate rehab fairly, I will say though that a home that has been vacant for the past 2 years may have quite  some work to be done.  

    It has potential of being a beautiful home. 

    Numbers numbers numbers. everyone wants to win. 

    How would you negotiate this one? 

  • Investor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    10y

    @Carol Mthimkhulu, I wouldn't!  

    In the thread title, you mentioned it would be a short sale? That's a problem, right there!

    If they have lied about their numbers, how can you trust anything they say? 

    I suggest: tell them to accept the "other offer"! Stick to what you already decided its worth to you.

    Yes, please continue to share your journey. All the best...

  • Real estate investor, South Africa · Member since 2016 · 12 posts · 1 vote
    10y

    @Brent Coombs you are right.

    You know I have even learned that his home has been listed as a foreclosure twice in the past two years, which he should be "motivated" but he still wants to play hard ball. 

    I will not budge from offering him what I believe is fair. 

    We tend to think that Wholesalers  have excelled in cooking the numbers, but honestly anyone Buyer/Seller/Realtor can be a shady in revealing the truth in their numbers. 

    We all have to be vigilant of every deal, and perhaps make use of that "third eye" to help you see more than what is being offered.

  • Real Estate Agent · Elmhurst, IL · Member since 2016 · 153 posts · 36 votes
    10y

    Carol,

    Stick to your figures. You know what margin you are looking for. 

    It's generally tougher for realtors to exaggerate figures , because clients get pissed off, but that does happen in this industry. 

    Good luck investing, 

    Don Colagrossi 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.