Hottest markets in Michigan?

Hottest markets in Michigan?

Machine designer · Columbiaville, MI · Member since 2015 · 65 posts · 10 votes

I am looking to invest in the areas around me. I live in Davison Michigan which is about a half hour East of Flint. Was thinking of looking for properties in my home town, Grand Blanc and perhaps Oxford. Was wondering if anyone had any tips on strong markets in the area.

1Reply
34 views

Most Popular Reply

Specialist · Grand Blanc, MI · Member since 2016 · 17 posts · 6 votes
10y

Hey Dan, 

Grand Blanc real estate market has continued to be the dominating strong point in Genesee County. Between Fenton and GB, expansion continues both in land development and market value. With both a hospital and one of the top performing schools in the state, it continues to bring people from Oakland County looking for a slightly smaller pace with all the modern conveniences. 

The market fluctuates like any, but with recent downtown developments, and new businesses braking ground on a monthly basis, now is as good a time as any to jump in. 

Just my thoughts :)

See this reply in the discussion

26 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Specialist · Grand Blanc, MI · Member since 2016 · 17 posts · 6 votes
    10y

    Hey Dan, 

    Grand Blanc real estate market has continued to be the dominating strong point in Genesee County. Between Fenton and GB, expansion continues both in land development and market value. With both a hospital and one of the top performing schools in the state, it continues to bring people from Oakland County looking for a slightly smaller pace with all the modern conveniences. 

    The market fluctuates like any, but with recent downtown developments, and new businesses braking ground on a monthly basis, now is as good a time as any to jump in. 

    Just my thoughts :)

  • Denver, CO · Member since 2016 · 19 posts · 7 votes
    10y
    Dan Graney I can look for some deals in the area. I mainly deal with Traverse City. Do you want to message me your info and see what we come up with?
  • Investor · Traverse City, MI · Member since 2016 · 3 posts · 2 votes
    10y

    Hi Dan,

    I live in Traverse City.  I am very busy at this particular moment.  I should have some time freed up toward the middle or end of July.  However, I would like to begin a dialog.  I have some experience with 3-4 house purchases, renovations & renting from a while ago.  I grew up in TC and moved back in the late 90's.  So, I'm quite familiar with the area.  I would like to get involved with the real estate market again.

    Let me know what your experience is and what you are trying to do.

    All the best,

    Jim Clous

  • Denver, CO · Member since 2016 · 19 posts · 7 votes
    10y
    Hey Jim Clous . I find motivated sellers and wholesale deals in TC. It's good to connect with someone who lived and invests in TC.
  • Real Estate Agent · Grand Rapids, MI · Member since 2016 · 127 posts · 56 votes
    10y

    Hi @Dan Graney.   I invested in Oakland County (including Oxford specifically) for years.  I love the area, but I find the taxation and strict guidelines in many of the Oakland County municipalities frustrating.  Considering your location, I'd focus on Genesee or Livingston, specifically Fenton, Hartland, and Grand Blanc.  It has much the 'feel' of Oxford, but with prices/taxes that are more reasonable, and potential growth that is more appealing.

    BTW, Great summary @Gary Morris!

  • Machine designer · Columbiaville, MI · Member since 2015 · 65 posts · 10 votes
    10y

    Thank you all for your input, I appreciate all of the great advice and look forward to working with some of you in the future.

  • Dan O'NeillPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Traverse City, MI · Member since 2016 · 130 posts · 34 votes
    10y

    @Jim Clous It's good to find someone else from TC.  What are you looking to get back into?

  • Dan O'NeillPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Traverse City, MI · Member since 2016 · 130 posts · 34 votes
    10y

    @Randall Burris You're also from TC or Colorado?  If CO, how are you wholesaling in TC?

  • Denver, CO · Member since 2016 · 19 posts · 7 votes
    10y

    @Dan O'Neill I live in Colorado. My wife is a TC native and we still go there frequently. I wholesale in TC & other states that I've lived in and have connection with. 

  • Investor · CO · Member since 2011 · 107 posts · 28 votes
    10y

    I'm another CO person investing in MI.  I just bought a couple of places in Bay City...  it's where my family is originally from.

  • Investor · BAY CITY, MI - Michigan · Member since 2014 · 35 posts · 6 votes
    10y

    @Tanya H. I am an investor from Bay City. If you ever need anything, don't hesitate to ask! 

    @Jim clous, @Randall Burris, @Dan O'Neill, I Have a friend up in Traverse City who is trying to buy his first deal. If you come across anything that you don't want, or if you have any solid wholesale deals, he would probably be interested. Strong loan capability. 

  • Jeff GeesemanPro Member
    Investor · Cadillac, MI · Member since 2016 · 15 posts · 5 votes
    10y

    @Randal Burris, @Dan O'Neil,  I am from Cadillac and am just getting my ducks in a row to start investing in Northern Michigan (primarily Cadillac & TC)  Any leads on wholesale properties to b & h would be appreciated. 

    Jeff Geeseman 

  • Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    Fun to see the activity here. I grew up in Midland and very interested in Grand Rapids.

  • Real Estate Agent · Birmingham, MI · Member since 2016 · 103 posts · 13 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Tim G.:

    Fun to see the activity here. I grew up in Midland and very interested in Grand Rapids.

    Plenty of good deals in GP Tim

    .... Inbox me...

  • Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Brandon Foster:
    Originally posted by @Tim G.:

    Fun to see the activity here. I grew up in Midland and very interested in Grand Rapids.

    Plenty of good deals in GP Tim

    .... Inbox me...

     GP or GR? I'm interested in Grand Rapids, not Grosse Pointe

  • Real Estate Agent · Birmingham, MI · Member since 2016 · 103 posts · 13 votes
    10y

    Grand  Rapids

  • Specialist · Grand Rapids, MI · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 611 votes
    10y
    Tim G. Hi Tim, Im from Midland too! Small world, Grand Rapids is a great market. My biggest problem is its so hot keep getting outbid but rent rates climbing like crazy. I have an investor unloading 750 units in retirement. Can't but them all myself although I want to so let me know if interested.
  • Dana Point, CA · Member since 2015 · 16 posts · 3 votes
    10y

    @Charles Kao 

    I have been looking at investing in Michigan for quite some time but since I am out of state, I would need scale/volume to make it worth it IMO. Message me if you would like to speak about partnering up or helping your investor unload some of his units. 

  • Specialist · Grand Rapids, MI · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 611 votes
    10y
    Mark Thompson The investor that is unloading units primarily with tenants where Spanish is their first language. If you are interested PM me as it won't allow me to contact you via app and I am rarely on website.
  • Wholesaler · Miami, FL · Member since 2015 · 202 posts · 149 votes
    10y

    @dan 

    @Dan Graney @Charles Kao @Mark Thompson @Tim G.

    Hey Guys, I actually have a Triplex Deal in Jackson MI under contract that I need to sell ASAP. It's worth about $55k-$65k and I'm selling it for $25k OBO. Here's the link to my marketplace ad:

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/517/topics/32...

    Let me know if you're interested or for more info, Happy Deal Hunting :)

    Ana G

  • Specialist · Grand Rapids, MI · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 611 votes
    10y

    @Ana G. Looks like a great deal but just have too much going on and jumping into a new market for a single rental is just not greatest use of my time right now.  

  • Wholesaler · Miami, FL · Member since 2015 · 202 posts · 149 votes
    10y

    @Charles Kao

    No prob! 

  • Rental Property Investor · Greater Lansing Area, MI · Member since 2014 · 196 posts · 55 votes
    10y

    @Charles Kao does your GR retiree have management in place for these units? And is it all single family units?

  • Twinsburg, OH · Member since 2014 · 36 posts · 8 votes
    10y

    Hello Guys, I am getting ready to buy " buy and hold " properties in and around canton area. I know Canton well, my wife grew up there. Feel free to get in contact with me if anyone would like to share some info. It ll be great to get more info on the market. thanks and good luck to everyone

  • Specialist · Grand Rapids, MI · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 611 votes
    10y

    @Emily B. Emily, Almost all of the units the investor is unloading are on the MLS now. It is a combination of SFH, small multis, motels, and random commercial properties. He is self managing but is not really retiring as much as trying to get out of that area to develop in Mexico.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.