Skip to content
Wholesaling

User Stats

Votes
Jessica F.
  • Developer
  • Philadelphia, PA
Votes |
Philadelphia property owner has died, caretaker hesitant to sell.

Jessica F.
  • Developer
  • Philadelphia, PA
Posted Jul 27 2016, 15:52

I am looking to purchase a property near Northeast Philadelphia. The homeowner died recently and there is only an elder (60s or 70s) live-in caretaker living at the residence. I stopped by the home to introduce myself, give my condolences for her loss and tell her that I am an investor, etc. She seemed hesitant and very reluctant to want to talk. A friend of mine told me about the owner passing away so this was not a property pulled off of a probate list or anything like that.

I asked the caretaker what they plan to do with the home and she mumbled something about, "they" may sell it but didn't say who "they" are. I asked if there was a will and she said yes (not sure how accurate any of her responses are). My guess is that since she is currently living at the home rent free that she fears that if a "seller" i.e someone like myself comes by that she will be kicked out and have to find a new place to live. I am not sure if the owner has children. I think she may have one child after I ran the property through a skip tracer. I know for a fact that the home is paid off and has no taxes or liens due.

How can I find out if there is a will attached to the estate or not so I can see who is the rightful owner to the inherited estate? Is this something I can do myself? 

Any help or info you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Loading replies...