Someone called me back! FIRST Yellow Letters

8 Replies

Hey everyone ! I'm new to wholesaling I sent out my first direct mail letters to houses that I saw while D4D! I have a spreadsheet set up with address, owner info, notes etc.
This house in particular that called back had a FSBO in front of it...
I've seen on some of the forums that wholesalers will attempt to do these , but mostly it's the boarded up, vacant, absentee owners etc.
My question is can I try to get this under contract if it's a good deal and find a buyer ?
Do wholesalers typically shoot for the FSBO houses or pass? He sounded motivated b/c he said the house is too big for him and his wife and they already have another home. He was just making sure I wasn't a realtor b/c he wanted to avoid commissions etc. (his words). I scheduled an appointment for Tuesday at 1pm. I'm nervous as heck lol.

Any advise or tips would be helpful guys!
Thanks , Porsha

Yes get a contract signed that is set to do what you want, namely wholesale. Put in the contract 'This contract is contingent on my partners approval.'

Thank you I will def do that when I go to the appointment on Tuesday!

"Contingent upon partner approval" is a WEAK contingency clause. It's been debunked on here several times as pretty dang unethical. You can't technically enter into a contract if you don't have the authority to do so without a partner. 

With a FSBO you're going to have to get it at a pretty substantial discount below what he has "listed" for. FSBO can be a GREAT source of leads/deals. But you have to be able to haggle efficiently. I prefer the FSBO's that aren't done "right". Ex: Not on Zillow/Trulia/Craigslist.

I'd HIGHLY advocate reaching out to a member on here who is a Realtor in your area to "get some comps" pulled. My main concern for @LaPorsha Edmun is that I have several friends in Dallas. It is an extremely hot market right now. If a home is a properly listed FSBO and is still sitting there's probably a reason why... Price. I also know in her market people wholesale deals off of the MLS openly. So I don't think she'll have an issue with it being a FSBO. It's just (most likely) going to have to be at a substantially reduced priced.

@Ryan Dossey Thanks for the advice ! The seller hasn't listed it yet. I found it by just driving for Dollars and took a chance by sending a letter to them. His motivation for selling is that they need to downsize b/c it's just him and his wife and they already have another house. We ran "comps" last night for the area. He did tell me that he owes $80,000 on the mortgage. It's a child support lien on the house $5,000... but he looking for $170,000. I didn't make an offer yet but I did tell him as an investor I don't buy properties at retail price etc. and he said he was fine with that he just doesn't want to deal with a realtor. In the area the high comps and low comps numbers I think we can work with, but we will see what he says on a Tuesday. It's my first call back/ first appointment so I'm nervous, but at the same time I'm not going to go over the 70% ...I been reading a lot about making sure the math is right etc.

@LaPorsha Edmun Perfect. I have several cash buyers in Dallas. If you get it in the proper BallPark I'll make some intros. That's what I mean about a poorly marketed FSBO. Well done.

Good luck! LaPorsha. 

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here