What to do when a houses repair is more than its value.

What to do when a houses repair is more than its value.

Atlanta, GA · Member since 2017 · 37 posts · 3 votes

Hello all!

I sent out mailers and got a serious response. This gentleman had called and said that he is selling his rental homes for 20k and they are about two hours away, so off I go! One of the homes is sincerely vandalized and the other needs work as well. It is a rental community and the areas rents are about 500 for the type that it is. It would appear that the ARV is possibly 30K for each. Does anyone have any advice for a situation like this? Any guidance would be appreciated, thanks!

0Reply
40 views

Most Popular Reply

Flipper/Rehabber · Lincoln, NE · Member since 2016 · 144 posts · 71 votes
9y

Sometimes the best deal is no deal.  As in this case.

See this reply in the discussion

13 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Buy & Hold Owner · Redlands, CA · Member since 2015 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    Wholesaling? -- not at risk -- Just move on :DUH:

  • Clifton, NJ · Member since 2015 · 4 posts · 3 votes
    9y
    Yea sounds like there's no room for profit
  • Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2016 · 736 posts · 582 votes
    9y

    Re-evaluate it when it comes up for tax lien sale because the current owner has abandoned it (seems these are the types of homes I'm finding more and more of these days LOL).

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Lincoln, NE · Member since 2016 · 144 posts · 71 votes
    9y

    Sometimes the best deal is no deal.  As in this case.

  • Investor · Jasper GA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    @Keenan Smith

    I'd be glad to help you with these houses.

    Let me know if I can help.

  • Specialist · Grand Rapids, MI · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 611 votes
    9y
    Keenan Smith Am I missing something here? Are the properties rented? If they are rented and certifiable as is then who cares about ARV when it will come as is with equity. If they don't cashflow and don't have room to make money and you can't negotiate them down then you are basically asking a question that a kid could answer. Keep it simple.
  • Atlanta, GA · Member since 2017 · 37 posts · 3 votes
    9y
    I don't think I was being clear. Is there a different strategy to use besides just repairing it? Tearing it down and putting a mobile home or reducing the repair cost by making it habitable without making it over desirable? At that price point I wouldn't expect to use the best materials.
  • Atlanta, GA · Member since 2017 · 37 posts · 3 votes
    9y

    What standards make a house habitable?  The biggest concern for me was uneven flooring. and possible electrical/ plumbing issues

  • Ned CareyPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    9y

    @Keenan Smith as other said as a standard deal it sounds like no deal. Just walk.

    Yes there may be other strategies like tear down and rebuild. I doubt that would be viable. The purchase price and the tear down cost will be close to the neighborhood value when done. 

    It sounds like even if this possibly could be made into a deal, it would be a very mediocre deal. Why take the risk on a property that is two hours away if it is not a home run.

  • Contractor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2016 · 267 posts · 144 votes
    9y

    Reevaluate the repair costs, re affirm the arv. then bring his price down to next to zilch. Be very honest with him about the condition of the home and what you will have to do to make a profit. 

    But I still agree with most people here. If it's a close call I wouldn't bother. 

  • Ryan TulejaPro Member
    Redmond, OR · Member since 2017 · 98 posts · 36 votes
    9y

    What is the land worth?  In my area there are many "cabins" that people build on the lakes where the land is worth much more than the house. It seems like in those cases a developer might have an interest in knocking it down and building new.

    Just a thought. I'm sure this only applies in very specific situations

  • Investor · Orange County, CA · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9y

    Why on Earth are you sending mailers that intentionally target neighborhoods with $30k ARV properties?

  • Atlanta, GA · Member since 2017 · 37 posts · 3 votes
    9y
    The houses are in the hood. Not viable for re build. The mailer was sent to a higher arv but he mentioned he wanted to unload a couple of rentals.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.