Help with Wholesale Calculations

7 Replies

Hi BG Family,

I am new to REI and BG. Really appreciate all the info available on this website. I have been reading up a lot but have a slight confusion regarding Wholesale Calculations. I apologize if this question has already been answered

• Are wholesalers in California using this formula?
    • MOA = 70% ARV - Repairs - Wholesale fee
    • That means leaving 30% ARV for Buyers Profit and Fixed Cost (Purchase/Holding/Closing Cost)
    • So for $500K property, leaving $150K for Buyers Profit and Fixed Cost
  • Or using this formula?
    • MOA = ARV - Buyers Profit - Fixed Cost - Repairs - Wholesale Fee
    • If Yes, How do you come up with a number for Buyers Profit?
      • Is there a rule of thumb like a % of ARV, a wholesaler should be leaving for buyers profit?
    • If Yes, How do you calculate Fixed Cost?
      • I have read J Scott article on BG regarding fixed cost but do you calculate that cost every time for Wholesale deal based on the property value and for California?
      • Or is there a rule of thumb like a % of ARV a wholesaler should leave for Fixed Cost?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Best,

Syed

70% doesn't work out here with the home values are higher. Fixed cost with end buyer profit is a good starting point

Our market makes it more difficult to learn because of the high value of real estate. It is because of this you shouldnt use the 70% rule. You can wholesale deals for higher than 70% because of the profit. You may want to ask around for what type of profit buyers want. Some may want 50k for the trouble, others more or less.

MOA = ARV - Buyers Profit - Fixed Cost - Repairs - Wholesale Fee

Buyer's Profit varies so make you know your buyer's list. Some of my buyers want $25k but also are the listing agent so they get that additional 3%. Others aim for $40k minimum because they bring no money to the table so their ROI is high. You really just have to understand your buyer pool.

I heard in a podcast this morning that due to the declining inventory using 70% ARV was not working and this company was getting clobbered due to offering a much smaller amount than what their competition was offering using 80-83 % ARV. This company is in a large city with what is probably a hot RE market. Where I live with all the ups (and downs) the market never really gets that hot. I also don't think there is a great deal of competition. Am I wise staying at the 70-73% % ARV?

Doug

hey guys so what is the average $ amount made on a deal in the bay area? also do you guys recommend any title companies or RE attorney? I'm just starting out with wholesaling! Thanks!

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.