Matthew Srnka
  • Appleton, WI
Votes |
Using "And / or Assigns" vs. just "or assigns"

Matthew Srnka
  • Appleton, WI
Posted Oct 23 2017, 20:34

Hi All,

I'm located in Appleton, WI, which for those unfamiliar with Wisconsin is in the Fox Cities, about 30 minutes south of Green Bay, WI.

I am looking for clarity on several things, for I've been wanting to get my ducks in a row before taking any risks wholesaling in Wisconsin (if you're interested where - mostly in the Fox Cities to start). I'm mainly interested in selling to fix & flippers, but I'm also learning how to run numbers for the cash flow / long term real estate investor.

First, the difference between using "and/or assigns" vs "or assigns" in the offer to purchase. What are the technical reasons for using one or the other? When should either be used, and why?

Second, using an option to purchase in a wholesale deal. Why not just get an offer to purchase notarized instead? Plus, can options be assignable?

Third, does anyone ever have a title company open what's known as a "Hold Open Title" instead of actually going through a double close to avoid showing up on title (and avoid paying capital gains tax) and then also only paying one set of escrow fees?

Fourth, if we are assigning an offer to an end buyer, should a wholesaler be using a second offer to purchase, but signed by the buyer? I'm hung up on using an assignability contract, because as far as I'm aware, there isn't one used by real estate agents in Wisconsin. 

Fifth, how do we get paid out at the title company? How do we show up? Using a single escrow, does the title company make the two contracts (two offers, or an offer and assignability contract) into one contract, and then do we show up as a loan being paid off on the seller's side of the HUD?

I just want to know what I should expect to happen, and what should happen.

Please help. Thanks!

Matt

Loading replies...