First lead on craigslist...? (What next...)

9 Replies

I just got a lead via Craigslist.  I posted that I am looking to purchase a home for cash...

Not sure if this is the norm, but my first reply to my post came in today which simply stated:

her name.. the addresses of her 2 properties and her email along with the sentence

"looking to sell 2 investment properties"

Now I'm not sure if this is the norm to get emails like this... which ends up becoming misleading... or is a true lead.

I don't want to celebrate this small win of mine just yet.... as I'm not sure if I am missing something here.

To be honest, i JUSt started getting into wholesaling and I am looking to test the waters on Craigslist.  I am fully not equipped to move forward just yet, but what is the usual next step after finding a motivated seller in terms of conversation with them?

Thank you for all your help.

Probably a wholesaler looking to sell to you, why not pick up the phone and speak to them? Sounds like you need to get ready to make a move prior to asking for leads.

Great to know you have the cash and are a real buyer!!!

This post has been removed.

I get lots of leads off Craigslist. First thing I'd ask. "Are you on title ?". You hav to be fast though, sellers go down the list calling and emailing when they're in a distress situation.  I had a wholesaler beat me to a deal by three hours. Now I schedule my appointments first thing in the morning or go take a look right away. You gotta hustle faster than the next guy or gal

@Damarius Gilbert my big mental block is what do i say to people that contact me from craigslist?  I just put out some ads about "I buy houses."  However, I don't have any money, so I would need to partner with someone.  I do have a few possible folks to bring the right deal to.  I'm not a very "salesy" type person, so if you could provide some scripting that would be fantastic.

Thanks.

@John S Lewis

The honest way to approach the situation would be to find money first and then find the deal. Don't enter into contracts with no guarantee that you can fulfill your obligations. 

Originally posted by @John Thedford :

@John S Lewis

The honest way to approach the situation would be to find money first and then find the deal. Don't enter into contracts with no guarantee that you can fulfill your obligations. 

Very good attempt to bring him to heel. (I'm not sure Hottenia quite got your "Great to know you have the cash and are a real buyer!!!" LOL sarcasm, but at least the OP since admitted to lying).

Let's see if your latest advice will keep him honest, to Sellers, not just us! Cheers...

@John Thedford is right, find cash buyers or have th ability to close yourself. When you dealing with really motivated sellers, you don't play your cards right and they can lose everything. As far as sales script. Make sure you talking to the person on title(I don't deal with middle men) Build rapport first, find their motivation, and than solve their problem, make sure it has enough equity of course, than know your numbers, if it doesn't meet 70% rule, buy it "subject to" but only if it can still cash flow.

@Jessey Kwong pick up the phone and talk to the lead. Just like other people said, you need to talk to people who are on the title. You need to find their motivation and trying to solve their problem. It has to be win-win situation. You need to know your ARV number. Offer 65% of ARV if you not 100% sure that will give you some room.

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.