Robert Keller
  • Floyds Knobs, IN
Votes |
Properties in deceased person's name

Robert Keller
  • Floyds Knobs, IN
Posted Feb 18 2018, 10:34

Hello everyone,

I'm just getting started with wholesaling homes.  My husband and I went "driving for dollars," and we identified several homes within a 2 block radius that we could start reaching out to their owners about selling.  While doing some research on these properties, I discovered that there were 3 houses that were listed under a person's name who is now deceased.  I haven't been able to dig really deep to see if there are any next of kin, but I'm assuming that's where I need to start.  I know that these properties continue to collect liens from the city for different infractions (needs cleaning, boards on windows, etc.).  I have a few questions.

1.  Where's the best place to find out if these properties should be passed on to next of kin?

2.  Since these properties continue to collect liens, do I contact the city to see if these liens can be waived or part of them waived if there is no next of kin?

3.  Who else should I be contacting to see if we can obtain these properties if there is no next of kin?  And if there is a next of kin, what questions should I be asking if we're still interested in obtaining these properties?

Like I said, I'm a newbie in this area and just need to know what cans of worms I could be opening up.

Thanks in advance for your advice and time!

Lauren

Loading replies...