• Sugar Land, TX
Votes |
Assignment Fee Check "Before" Closing & Marketing Properties

Jordan Petty
  • Realtor
  • Sugar Land, TX
Posted Mar 1 2018, 19:20

Hello Everyone,

So today I spoke with an attorney today regarding the process of wholesaling and how to properly set up my purchase contract and assignment contract. I hear so many different things from people online it just keeps me confused and prevents me from taking the "next step". I have already began my mailing and talked to a few sellers, and before anything moved forward I wanted to clear things up with an attorney. Also, I see people market deals all the time and due to the recent changes in Texas law, I wanted to clear that area up as well. I am definitely the type of person who likes to have his ducks in a row before executing - which can be an issue sometimes.

One thing that I learned surprised me. If I use the TREC contract, and then have the "assignee" sign the assignment contract (that has the assignment fee on it), then the buyer should hand me the check at that moment. Then, that removes me from the rest of the process. No going to closing, etc. like I have read/heard from everyone else. If the buyer tries to default, then I still get the assignment fee because he already signed the contract, and is still obligated to the original purchase contract as well. He said I am there to "sell the contract" not "sell the property".

Has any wholesalers gone about the process this way?

Also regarding marketing. He advised that if you are posting on craigslist, etc.: avoid posting price, avoid posting pictures, ARV's, and repairs. What can be done for posting is headers like "House on 123 Street for $500K Assignment", or "Selling Contract for $500K" and have interested buyers contact you. Once they contact you, THEN you can give them more information. Because if you do not here in Texas, you would fall under brokering without a license. He advised that the best thing I could do is have investor buyers that I can trust and that will go through with the transaction.

I would like to here your thoughts on this. 

Thanks!

Loading replies...