New investor out of state

2 Replies

Hello everyone! I'm new to RE and I'm trying to figure out if when buying out of state, do you first find a wholesaler or an agent to work on my behalf? I'm not sure what the proper steps are since I'm going to be moving to a new area. I'm hoping to buy properties near my new location since im just starting out to play it safe. Do I try to find someone who has a property they want to sell, then look for a realtor or should I find a realtor who has connections to find deals. If I should find a realtor first, what type of things should I keep an eye out for? Thank you!

Welcome to BP! Have you done a search on the site yet to find others that are in the city you will be investing in? If not, I would suggest you do that first, and then see if they have any recommendations. A wholesaler is going to be pushing their properties. A realtor has a duty to protect your interests, and also knows the local area. Whatever you do, make sure you do your due diligence. Get educated on the local market, look at prices, cost per sq. ft. and what finishes, lot sizes, etc. are so that you're comparing apples to apples. Don't look at Zestimates and think they can be relied on, as they don't take all the criteria into account. (age of home, neighborhood, size of home, lot size, quality of finishes, etc.) Good luck. 

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.