Asking for professional opinion about Facebook advertising

20 Replies

I am thinking about running Facebook ads for my investing business. My question is does anybody know of a reliable company that specializes in Facebook advertising for investors that I can contact?

Thanks in advance everybody!

I learned how to run FB ads for some entrepreneurial ventures, one of which includes generating leads my own cash deals for BRRRR or flips. Is that what you're thinking of doing... or would this be for raising private money for REI or selling wholesale properties? To be honest, FB could work well for any of these. You'd want to stick to newsfeed ads, and the campaign goal depends on what you're going for, but in general, a lead generation campaign would nail it for all of those... I'm an open book if you've got any specific questions.

Regardless, there are a few things to have in order before starting that--the first of which is a business Facebook page if you don't have one already. Get some good organic content posting going--maybe if you have a website, you could post articles from your blog, or if you do flips, people love learning about the process and the before/after pics and videos. FB is friendlier ad cost-wise to pages that have decent organic content. 

Originally posted by @Jorge De Jesus :

I’d recommend DIY . Even if you eventually outsource it, how do you know it’s done properly?

——-

Have you had good experiences running your own ads, @Jorge? I'd love to hear how it's gone for you and in your target area. It's definitely possible to get an ok return the DIY route if you're keeping up with all the latest FB tweaks and find some good marketing groups to bounce ideas off, but with all things REI, it's always a choice between time and money, right?. And control, haha!

You’ll know if the work is done properly using the metrics Facebook gives you. How many people are seeing it, clicking on it, filling out their info—What’s the cost per lead, and how many of those leads can you close once you get them on the phone. If the return per door works out better than if you hadn’t done mail outs and list buying, it’s pretty clear it’s working. 

Someone experience with FB ads will know how to optimize the ads and make little tweaks that newbs just don’t know how to do. Newbs tend to get nervous and scrap an underperforming ad, not knowing that the difference of changing the ad image or the opening line of text or the call to action button (literally just one of those) can make the difference between an underperforming ad and one that knocks it out of the park—It’s crazy! They know exactly where to look to edit when lots of people are clicking on your “call to action” but not submitting up their info. Stuff like that that can make a big difference in ad performance and return.

——

Thanks yall, yeah I have taken some courses on running REI investing ads. I do have a business page and I do post content on it from my website. I'm targeting motivated sellers and I do wholeselling. Reason I am asking is there is a lot of changes being made to Facebook and I just simply do not have the time to put into learning it all the time. I work full time and trying to save money for a wedding. So I would really need to outsource the ads to somebody that keeps up on the changes Facebook makes and can get some solid ads out there for me.

I have considered doing google adwords instead but I wanted to get some insight from you guys on Facebook ads and maybe get in touch with somebody that is proficient at running REI ads.

@Austin Rankin amen dude. How you feel about FB ads is how I feel about home renovations...could DIY, but "ain't nobody got time for that". Congrats on your engagement! Hope the wedding planning is going smoothly.

I'm really not familiar with google adwords, but I do think FB ads have tons of untapped potential because people are scared of the "algorithm" and sort of just throw money at a boosted post and hope for the best. 

Hi @Austin Rankin ,

Glad to see you thinking about investing in paid traffic for your REI business. Definitely a good move.

Going off of what @Rachel Rendall said "Someone experience with FB ads will know how to optimize the ads and make little tweaks that newbs just don’t know how to do" is an understatement in your case. If I understand correctly you don't necessarily have the time to learn Facebook ads. If you DIY this I can almost guarantee you will pretty big mistakes that will ultimately cost you a significant amount. Like most investors, you might have the capital to take a $500-$1000 loss.

I don't really agree with what @Jorge De Jesus said with even if you eventually outsource it, how do you know it’s done properly?... Because you won't even know what to do in the first place. Sure as time goes on you may develop a basic understanding of Facebook ads, but if you have an advertiser implementing things you aren't used to or haven't heard of, you might not know if he is actually doing things correctly.

Ultimately everything needs to come down to profit. Whats my CPA and am I getting quality traffic I can close on.

In my opinion, there is no advertising platform that can get you more quality traffic than Google Adwords. Going back to what @Rachel Rendall said I most certainly agree, Facebook ads have a ton of untapped potential. Simply for the fact of cost. Right now Facebook is dirt cheap compared to Adwords, however not for long.

Here's the thing Facebook ads is a push type of marketing, whereas Adwords is a pull form of marketing. Google Adwords puts your ad directly in front of people who already are considering your service and are way more likely to convert from that standpoint. Facebook will push your ad in front of people and you have a less likelihood of converting that person if your funnel is not optimized.

Google Adwords would be your best bet if you are just starting out. At the beginning of a low budget campaign or any brand new campaign for that matter is to focus all your energy on making sure your search terms are properly optimized. Search Terms gives you the direct correlation to where your money is going. Everything else is secondary.

I will note that I would personally not try Adwords unless you have a well-designed conversion optimized  landing page . Otherwise, you can drive all the qualified traffic you want, but your conversions ultimately bring you the money.

Hope I added some insight, feel free to private message me if you have any specific questions you would like to ask 

-Angel-Ty L.

PPC Hustle

Originally posted by @Angel-Ty L. :

Hi @Austin Rankin ,

Glad to see you thinking about investing in paid traffic for your REI business. Definitely a good move.

Going off of what @Rachel Rendall said "Someone experience with FB ads will know how to optimize the ads and make little tweaks that newbs just don’t know how to do" is an understatement in your case. If I understand correctly you don't necessarily have the time to learn Facebook ads. If you DIY this I can almost guarantee you will pretty big mistakes that will ultimately cost you a significant amount. Like most investors, you might have the capital to take a $500-$1000 loss.

I don't really agree with what @Jorge De Jesus said with even if you eventually outsource it, how do you know it’s done properly?... Because you won't even know what to do in the first place. Sure as time goes on you may develop a basic understanding of Facebook ads, but if you have an advertiser implementing things you aren't used to or haven't heard of, you might not know if he is actually doing things correctly.

Ultimately everything needs to come down to profit. Whats my CPA and am I getting quality traffic I can close on.

In my opinion, there is no advertising platform that can get you more quality traffic than Google Adwords. Going back to what @Rachel Rendall said I most certainly agree, Facebook ads have a ton of untapped potential. Simply for the fact of cost. Right now Facebook is dirt cheap compared to Adwords, however not for long.

Here's the thing Facebook ads is a push type of marketing, whereas Adwords is a pull form of marketing. Google Adwords puts your ad directly in front of people who already are considering your service and are way more likely to convert from that standpoint. Facebook will push your ad in front of people and you have a less likelihood of converting that person if your funnel is not optimized.

Google Adwords would be your best bet if you are just starting out. At the beginning of a low budget campaign or any brand new campaign for that matter is to focus all your energy on making sure your search terms are properly optimized. Search Terms gives you the direct correlation to where your money is going. Everything else is secondary.

I will note that I would personally not try Adwords unless you have a well-designed conversion optimized  landing page . Otherwise, you can drive all the qualified traffic you want, but your conversions ultimately bring you the money.

Hope I added some insight, feel free to private message me if you have any specific questions you would like to ask 

-Angel-Ty L.

PPC Hustle

So when you are starting out and there are much bigger fish in your pond how does ppc help? How is it more targeted than FB?

Great question @Jorge De Jesus

I personally would not care much of the bigger fish. If I'm launching a new account I'll take a gauge at the competition, yes, but not to see how big they are but to see what wording they are using, how are they positioning themselves in the marketplace, are they using relevant ad copy, are they using the keyword in the path URL, are they even using something so basic as ad extensions. I'm looking for the week points where I can swoop in and actually making a difference. 

Once that's sorted out its about finding out how you want to structure your campaign the nitty gritty things like keywords, bid strategy, etc... 

Obviously if your in a competitive market with bigger fish that should tell you. A majority of them are just egotistical and want to show up #1 for every single keyword driving up the price with bidding wars, which is simply not the way to go. 

In the beginning, you want to move from a conservative account testing the number of impressions on keywords, CPA, CPC, ad copy, etc... Once you know what works on a small scale you start scaling it up. Bidding high on keywords proven to get you a reasonable CPA, testing ad copy more often, etc... 

Keep in mind with that conservative approach you want to be bidding offensively low, just to see if you can spend the full daily budget. That will ensure you are making very large mistakes that will cost something like a $100 of whatever just cause you didn't think to add it as a negative. 

But yea I don't really worry much about the competition. I just do whatever is allowed in that market. 

Google is more targeted in my opinion because if you are comparing apples to apples Google and Facebooks targeting methods It is clear Google is just better.

Facebook targeting works by tracking what you like and post on its platform, what other sites you browse as long as you remain logged in on that device, and essentially will create a profile of you so that advertisers can target you based on your interests (scary I know). While that's all fine and dandy facebook ads can be labeled as intrusive because nobody really wants to see ads. However, they will still be clicked on due to the fact of either its peaked someone's interest or they personally think its just apart of there feed. 

Unlike Facebook Google uses whats called search marketing. Google will serve you ads based on the intent of the search and if they believe the ad is relevant to the search query. Why this is supreme is because you can literally capture somebody's attention at the moment that they are looking for information about your service or product. With Adwords you are able to bid on specific keywords. If you not well trained in Adwords you may just throw all the relevant keywords you can think of. Like how to sell my house fast, companies who buy houses, etc... While that good your missing the bigger picture of understanding where a person is at based on their intent of the search query. The person who is searching "how to sell my house fast to an investor" is likely to convert compared to the person searching "home buyers sell fast Dallas tx". Based on the search you can infer that the first query the person does not understand the process is still most likely on the fence and the intention to convert immediately isn't there. With the second search, you can infer the person is at the bottom of the funnel and has the most likely hood of converting because he is not showing any intent that he may be looking for information like the first search. 

So if you ask me being able to capture the attention of someone who is already down the funnel ready to convert is much more targeted compared to the person you are just serving an ad to based on intent while not know where they are in the funnel. 

The ego or smarts of the bigger fish IS a concern...starting out cpa is very important because I am small. That’s why most will do a personable handwritten letter instead of ppc.
If I am just starting out in my own backyard why not target by area, gender, age...you know? Metrics that matter when buying or selling real estate? FB doesn’t run on just likes. Also my fb is always running, idk about yours. Grandma and grampa are using fb to stay in touch with their ingrate kids who moved cross country and boom! There’s the ad that’s going to liquidate their asset and help them live out their days closer to family... I’m sure you are not here to sell ppc services to which you are most likely not an affiliate. That wouldn’t be best practices. I’m sure you are looking to open the discussion and add value.

Regardless, start a YouTube channel, an IG business account, a fb business PAGE and a landing page with the best out of the box seo TO START! Set everything up, including direct mail, to direct folks to the page. Grow the page as you go, use ppc,add content, link it to everything, ig stories are great. This I would do less costly but not my only leadgen

@Jorge De Jesus

I agree would make sense just settle for mailers in the beginning. However, everyone has their preference how they want to get started. 

I just don't see how the competition should influence you starting out. You have no clue what your CPA will even be whether you do mailers or digital marketing. How can someone make a data-driven decision on if the CPA is going to profitable by just going off of if their big fish in the marketplace. 

Instead of guessing test it. Adwords is all about testing, so why not test to see if you actually can get a profitable campaign going even with big spenders in your market. Cause I can tell you right now it's most certainly doable.

Yes, Facebook doesn't only run off of likes I'm aware, but little confused on your statement "my FB is always running, idk about yours"? 

Also yes, grandmas and grandpas are the biggest growing demographic on facebook as well as your ideal seller on this platform. 

Also yes, that's great! I think there's a marketing strategy for everyone, just have to find what works through testing. 

Actually to find out exactly how you stack up against your competition would be to use the tools within adwords such as your auction insights and your search impressions. Search impressions gives you data on how much of the adwords pie you are getting. So if you have an 80% impr share then that means you qualify for 80% of the traffic to that keyword. You can look at this from a campaign, ad group, and keyword level. This way you can judge what keywords are being eaten up by the bigger players and what keywords the competitors are not utilizing which goes back to getting an edge in the marketplace.

Look up Tom Cafarella in Boston.  He would caution you not to waste any money on FB unless you have a proven performing site to drive it to, with all the funnels/drips and underpinning to nurture and ultimately capture the leads.  Max Maxwell does it also.  Both these guys take a list of names (tax delinquent, etc) and uploads them as a custom audience.  Works like mailers, in a way.

Originally posted by @Mark Sewell :

Look up Tom Cafarella in Boston.  He would caution you not to waste any money on FB unless you have a proven performing site to drive it to, with all the funnels/drips and underpinning to nurture and ultimately capture the leads.  Max Maxwell does it also.  Both these guys take a list of names (tax delinquent, etc) and uploads them as a custom audience.  Works like mailers, in a way.

That’s an interesting hybrid method.  I do wonder if for someone starting out, it would be casting too small of a net to hope they could build up trust with a pretty minuscule audience (assuming we’re targeting locally here...national would be trickier ).  Long funnels and lists may get you a higher (in the end) conversion rate per audience seen, but at what cost? I’d guess the cost per sale would be higher than with a simpler lead gen campaign, in which the burden of the sale/conversion is on the shoulders of the buyer and theor follow up process—instead of relying on the potential seller to go through the whole funnel and enter everything correctly in the end. I’ll own that I’m a control freak though haha. 

I use Facebook marketplace for listing apartment rentals. I usually get 200 or more quick responses. You can view their profile as well. Way better than Craigslist. I have a page as well linked to my website. I run ads regularly for my storage units. I highly recommended you try it.

That’s an interesting hybrid method.  I do wonder if for someone starting out, it would be casting too small of a net to hope they could build up trust with a pretty minuscule audience (assuming we’re targeting locally here...national would be trickier ).  Long funnels and lists may get you a higher (in the end) conversion rate per audience seen, but at what cost? I’d guess the cost per sale would be higher than with a simpler lead gen campaign, in which the burden of the sale/conversion is on the shoulders of the buyer and theor follow up process—instead of relying on the potential seller to go through the whole funnel and enter everything correctly in the end. I’ll own that I’m a control freak though haha. 

Please understand I am just starting to make my own way through this journey myself, so I do not wish to come off as some of subject matter expert -- just gleaning what I can get from those that are doing it successfully.  Definitely open to suggestions, as I am trying to create and refine a process as I go.

Not unlike direct mail ads, you get to pick who gets the ad.  Why advertise to people who don't have equity and/or live in areas where you don't want to buy?  Of course, there is no guarantee here that they will 'open' your ad and read it.  So you might still want to call and tough them again later, using other forms of marketing.   They say folks need to see you 7-10 times, something like that, so this is another way to touch them.  Tom C runs mail campaigns, Max does not mail anything ever. 

As I grow I'll build out better, more robust processes, to hit these same folks with RVM and email campaigns, and not just FB ads and direct mail.  I actually don't want to do much direct mail, just letters for probate and maybe some postcards to tired landlords.

Video clips, short ones, are 'probably' a little more effective, at least to start.  Then you create another audience consisting only of those that viewed your short video clips.  Gradually move them from being 'problem aware' to 'solution aware' to making them understand why they ought to work with you.  Show them what you have done, that you aren't just some guy out mailing ads, that you actually do buy houses -- or whatever your message is.

I am running a targeted ad right now.  10 clicks have cost me about $37, that's on 272 video views (as of this writing).  Only been running 3 days or so.  Next will be time to hit them again (based on engagement or video views) to build some credibility, let them know something about me personally, to make them feel comfortable in reaching out.  Working on those ads now.

In the meantime, I am ditching my existing site, as all these leads are just being poured out into nothing currently.  Totally not converting, so I need something better. I might just go with FB lead forms, in fact, as least for the interim while I'm making the transition.

Originally posted by @Mark Sewell :

Please understand I am just starting to make my own way through this journey myself, so I do not wish to come off as some of subject matter expert -- just gleaning what I can get from those that are doing it successfully.  Definitely open to suggestions, as I am trying to create and refine a process as I go.

Not unlike direct mail ads, you get to pick who gets the ad.  Why advertise to people who don't have equity and/or live in areas where you don't want to buy?  Of course, there is no guarantee here that they will 'open' your ad and read it.  So you might still want to call and tough them again later, using other forms of marketing.   They say folks need to see you 7-10 times, something like that, so this is another way to touch them.  Tom C runs mail campaigns, Max does not mail anything ever. 

As I grow I'll build out better, more robust processes, to hit these same folks with RVM and email campaigns, and not just FB ads and direct mail.  I actually don't want to do much direct mail, just letters for probate and maybe some postcards to tired landlords.

Video clips, short ones, are 'probably' a little more effective, at least to start.  Then you create another audience consisting only of those that viewed your short video clips.  Gradually move them from being 'problem aware' to 'solution aware' to making them understand why they ought to work with you.  Show them what you have done, that you aren't just some guy out mailing ads, that you actually do buy houses -- or whatever your message is.

I am running a targeted ad right now.  10 clicks have cost me about $37, that's on 272 video views (as of this writing).  Only been running 3 days or so.  Next will be time to hit them again (based on engagement or video views) to build some credibility, let them know something about me personally, to make them feel comfortable in reaching out.  Working on those ads now.

In the meantime, I am ditching my existing site, as all these leads are just being poured out into nothing currently.  Totally not converting, so I need something better. I might just go with FB lead forms, in fact, as least for the interim while I'm making the transition.

Mark--what do you mean by ditching your existing site? Website or FB page? And for your ad, do you mean to say that people are filling out their information for you (leads), but you're having trouble with the conversion (sale/close), or is it that people are seeing the ad and clicking, but not filling out their information? I'd be happy to look at the ad and stats you have and give you some feedback. We might be able to pinpoint where people are dropping off and see if a small change could improve the results down the funnel. 

FB lead forms are great and TBH, some audiences like staying in FB rather than to be taken through click-funnels (or whatever the squeeze site is) from a conversion campaign, so it definitely worth a try. 

Originally posted by @Rachel Rendall :

Mark--what do you mean by ditching your existing site? Website or FB page? And for your ad, do you mean to say that people are filling out their information for you (leads), but you're having trouble with the conversion (sale/close), or is it that people are seeing the ad and clicking, but not filling out their information? 

Dropping the website I have now, keeping the domain name and rebuilding a new site elsewhere, using the same domain. Will probably add a second one also. 

People watch the little video, and some even click on the link.  That's all I know.  No lead forms get filled out ever.  So the disconnect is deep and wide.  I've already spent some time on it, over the winter, and I'm done with it.  Just packing up my domain name and starting over with something that is proven.