Wholesale order of operations?

2 Replies

I was wondering if someone on here could clarify in simple steps how to execute a wholesale deal from start to finish. I understand the entire concept I am just not sure what easiest route is (if there is a specific one) and all the steps. I know it goes something like picking your audience- sending out letters (or whatever your method is)- come to an agreement with potential seller- get house under contract- find your cash buyer ( maybe you've already done that)- agree to a price- etc When does the wholesaler typically actually step foot in the property to asses the sort of condition it is in? Or is it typical for the just cash buyer to be the one to walk the house? I guess it would depend if it was vacant or not.. because I'd prefer having as much info on the house as possible to pass on to the end buyer. Most importantly I think I am just worried about the paperwork part. I know it is essential to get an assignment contract, unless your double closing. Is that something you just go to a real estate attorney for and they'll understand whats happening? Because I would hardly know how to go about assigning a contract. I'm sure I will understand this more clearly once I've done a wholesale deal but for now I'm sort of lost with the steps.

Send out yellowletter post cards to your target audience. Once the calls start coming in you have to qualify them to see if they are motivated sellers. You also need to know what they want to sell the home for and if that is a low enough price for you to wholesale it. No point going to the home if you cant determine if its a deal. 

When you do go to a home, take tons of pics of everything as you will send the pics and any other info to your cash buyers. You dont need to get anyone in the home unless they have agreed to buy it, sign your contract and then get them in to inspect.  As someone who buys a lot of homes from wholesalers, please make sure to provide as much info to your buyer like: vacant/occupied. If occupied is it the owner or renter, how much is it rented out for? Are they staying or moving out? Will they be out before closing or how much time will they need? Can the owner leave some money in escrow after closing with a deadline to get the tenants out or forfeit the deposit? 

Regarding paper work, get the owner to sign a purchase contract with you, you then have your buyer sign an assignment contract. You can not do double closes anymore unless you have transactional funding or your own cash. Try to not let another wholesaler wholesale your property, most times it never works out and you end up becoming the big loser in the deal. 

Not sure if this helps you or not, good luck.

I haven't done any deals yet, but I've been told that it is important for you to walk the house and assess repairs needed. Bring your paperwork to the property that way it can be signed if you can negotiate the right deal there on the spot. I'm told that if an agent is involved, they will almost always require you to sign their purchase & sale agreement, so make sure it doesn't prohibit assigning the contract. Like @Curt Davis says, the more information you can provide to your buyers, the easier it is for them to make a decision, so take lots of pictures and try to get as much information from the seller as possible.

Cash buyers will almost always inspect the property and run their own numbers, but you want to run your own numbers so you know what's fair to wholesale the property for. It's a good idea to network with contractors so you can get an idea of what big ticket items generally cost so your numbers aren't way off. I heard a podcast that suggested building a buyers list while marketing for deals that way you have buyers to reach out to as soon as you have a property under contract. Don't give the seller your deposit, that goes to the title company after you've opened escrow. The steps I've been educated to take are:

1. Market

2. Evaluate deals

3. Determine funding needed and put property under contract (just deposit or transactional lender for double-close)

4. Reach out to your cash buyer list

5. Assign or double-close

I've also been told to run your paperwork by a contract attorney to make sure your i's are dotted and t's are crossed. I have also had a lot of buyers tell me that creative financing sweetens the deal so you should look into that as well. Hope this helps!