The Truth about Wholesaling!

The Truth about Wholesaling!

Will BarnardPro Member
Moderator
Developer · Santa Clarita, CA · Member since 2008 · 15k+ posts · 10k+ votes

There are so many people and companies out there who claim to be wholesalers and many more newbies who claim to want to start out in wholesaling as a means to get started in the biz.

Let me tell you about a recent experience with a so-called wholesale deal: You be the judge too!
A property was offered to me as a wholesale purchase.
It was offered at $270k with only $10k in rehab (so claimed the wholesaler) and the exit value they provided was $350k. With these numbers, the deal is at 80% of value which is pretty much the most I could pay. I explained that the exit price appeared to be on the high side (just from my expert knowledge of the area) and that $10k in rehab is pretty rare. I was then told that they may be willing to sell to me at $260k (so obviously they had at least $20k in mark-up at their OG price, which by the way is fine if the deal had a good spread, this one was bare)
With that reduction in mind, I went to the property.
It was very close to the freeway and the freeway noise could be heard quite loudly from the yard and slightly from the inside with all doors closed. This decreases values some what. Next, I found that the condition of the property was no where close to $10k in minor rehab. The kitchen had no place for a refrigerator with the current layout and it was poorly designed. The cabinets appeared to be newer, but done cheap and laid out poorly. The countertops needed replacement to granite, and new kitchen appliances. All flooring needed to be replaced, there was some foundation issues from the earthquake of 94' (Northridge quake), the bathroom was in need of a full gut and rehab new, all bedrooms needed new light fixtures, closet doors, and some electrical upgrades, plus the driveway needed to be re-surfaced and the chain-link fence removed and replaced with a more appropriate wood fencing for curb appeal. Both interior and exterior needed paint, and all windows should be replaced new (requiring some minor stucco repairs as well.)
After my evaluation, it was determined that the exit value was $300k ($319k as the max high list point) and the rehab was $30k and could be $35k.
At a $260k purchase and $30k rehab with $310k exit, this deal is at 93.5% As such, it is an oxymoron to use the word deal to describe this investment. I only pray that some sucker does not get screwed on this property.

The moral of the story: To be a true wholesaler, you must give out true and accurate figures, otherwise you make a bad name for yourself.

To be a true wholesaler you need these 3 main ingredients:
1. The ability to contract RE at great discounts.
2. The ability to build a real buyer's list (real cash buyers with a real proof of funds)
3. Ability to evaluate your market and ability to peg rehab numbers. Both of these require a vast knowledge of the local market conditions and the know-how to quote repair items.
Without ALL 3 of these items, you CAN NOT be a successful wholesaler.
To add a 4th item, you should be honest, provide accurate numbers, and provide as much due diligence to your potential buyers as possible. This will allow you to keep your buyers coming back for more deals.

669Reply
10,034 views

Most Popular Reply

Member since 2010 · 16 posts · 124 votes
15y

Maybe they are a new company that have ambition but lack some experience in evaluation. I hope you left the same results you described in your post on their website or emailed them what you found. Maybe it will give them some insight as to what to do/not to do before putting another property like this on the market. All of us begin making dumb mistakes and misjudgements, it's only bad when we ignore feedback from those who can offer wisdom.

See this reply in the discussion

911 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Will BarnardPro Member
    Moderator
    OP
    Developer · Santa Clarita, CA · Member since 2008 · 15k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Christopher Reynolds:

    I want to make a personable reply to everyone that is or have experienced this kind of crap. It is marketing on my behalf but also to show not everyone is liars. I am a new wholesaler working towards becoming a rehabber. I want to build a buyers list on an honest scale. I value any relationship I will gain. I agree with you, Will, about how a wholesaler should be. I have values I hold to a high standard. Honesty and integrity, loyalty, and honor. It seems many people have lost these traits and I will never allow my morals be broken. If I can't make an honest offer I won't even try to do anything. I want to sell myself here but I want to let everyone know more than anything that we aren't all like the ones Will came in contact with. I even enjoy criticism as it can be a great teacher. I hope to hear from others and maybe make a few professional friends on here. 

    Chris Reynolds

    An excellent attitude and approach to it sir! Good for you. Just know that wholesaling can be accomplished in a number of different ways, some investors think or claim that wholesaling is the simply process of assigning a contract, it is NOT. There are many ways to complete the transaction some of which are illegal and some are legal, knowing the difference and how to do it legally will set you apart and keep you from inheriting a large and unwanted cell mate.

    Number 1. If you make an offer, make sure you have means AND intent to close. Using ridiculous escape clauses taught by the gurus is NOT the way to go. 

    Number 2. Get a few solid and proven buyers, get their criteria, and shop for that.

    Number 3. Know in advance how you will perform and execute the legal wholesale deal. Locking up a contract, marketing said contract, finding a buyer, and getting paid a fee for that when you assign it is not legal in most (if not all) states today as it is “brokering without a license). So either get licensed OR, have your buyer in advance, form a new entity naming both of you as owners, vest the offer in the name of that entity, show your buyer’s proof of funds where and when applicable, and at closing, simply sell your shares of the company for your “profit” on the deal. OR, close on the transaction with cash or cash from others, then market and resale for a higher price. It’s not rocket science and it is not difficult to do it legally. 

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Olympia, WA · Member since 2019 · 7 posts · 1 vote
    6y

    @Will Barnard This is fantastic information. I believe we have done all the legal work and have had our contracts and information checked. We do have an entity we have created. I have done a lot of research and am positive that we are good to go. Also have check WA state laws, which have made it very difficult for investors. The part I didn't know was having a buyer already prepared to buy. I have started building a buyers list and have some motivated ones but having them agree before I get a contract may be difficult. Not impossible of course. All I am needing, I believe, is more motivated buyers. I will continue to watch this thread as I have been learning a lot from the previous responses. Not everyone is a hater of Wholesalers but those that are I hope I can convince them that we all aren't bad. I try to do the right thing. I think I will have our contracts looked at again to make sure they are good before going forward though. Made me want to make sure. Thank you for the advice.

    Chris

  • Will BarnardPro Member
    Moderator
    OP
    Developer · Santa Clarita, CA · Member since 2008 · 15k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Christopher Reynolds:

    @Will Barnard This is fantastic information. I believe we have done all the legal work and have had our contracts and information checked. We do have an entity we have created. I have done a lot of research and am positive that we are good to go. Also have check WA state laws, which have made it very difficult for investors. The part I didn't know was having a buyer already prepared to buy. I have started building a buyers list and have some motivated ones but having them agree before I get a contract may be difficult. Not impossible of course. All I am needing, I believe, is more motivated buyers. I will continue to watch this thread as I have been learning a lot from the previous responses. Not everyone is a hater of Wholesalers but those that are I hope I can convince them that we all aren't bad. I try to do the right thing. I think I will have our contracts looked at again to make sure they are good before going forward though. Made me want to make sure. Thank you for the advice.

    Chris

     Chris, just to be clear, and I have preached this for over a decade now, relationships, relationships, relationships.
    Finding that "buyer" who can prove they can perform (you have checked public records to confirm they purchased several homes all cash in the last 12 months and/or they have shown you a POF), you now have formed a relationship with them. You tell them flat out, "I'm going to find you what you are looking for" and in doing so, "I will be showing you a few properties I am in negotiation on, but do not have a locked contract on". My intent is to vest the offer in the name of my new entity and will add you (or have already made you) a partner. Certainly there are ways they can circumvent you in this format, but any reasonable, knowledgable investor who sees down the road will know that to burn a bridge brings a bad rep and no deals from that person ever again. If you are upfront with what you intend to do and what you will do if they try and go around you, no reasonable person would want to do that. Just to save one wholesale fee on one deal? That would be very short sided on their part.
    Again, all this stems from you performing what you say you will though. Bring them a bunch of crap and you likely burn the relationship the other way.

    Make sense?

    They don’t need to agree to buy something before hand in this format and just as important, once you feel you have the deal they want, upon your “inspection” they come with you to commit or decline.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Olympia, WA · Member since 2019 · 7 posts · 1 vote
    6y

    I had not seen things in that way. Good point. This is why I joined the BiggerPockets group. This helps my talking points and my ways of building positive relationships. Thank you for the information. I will use this well.

    Chris Reynolds

  • Lender · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2015 · 124 posts · 22 votes
    6y

    These are great points!!! I can't believe someone would do something like this. Wholesaling is about helping people solve problems not about helping the wholesaler make some quick gains. I just got into wholesaling about one week ago. This is what i did as a newbie:

    1. I got a approximate ARV. Listed all of the comparable properties for the buyer.

    2. Put together a Renovation estimate including pictures and pointed the visible issues. 

    3. I put together a financial summary for the property. 

    4. Free of charge for this one. Just wanted to build a relationship with the cash buyer.  

    To sum this up i told another wholesaler what i did and he said i did not have to do all that work. Do you think some wholesalers are confused about this type of business?

    wholesaling and the first deal i looked i spent many hours putting together the reno cost, 

  • Will BarnardPro Member
    Moderator
    OP
    Developer · Santa Clarita, CA · Member since 2008 · 15k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Walter Correia:

    These are great points!!! I can't believe someone would do something like this. Wholesaling is about helping people solve problems not about helping the wholesaler make some quick gains. I just got into wholesaling about one week ago. This is what i did as a newbie:

    1. I got a approximate ARV. Listed all of the comparable properties for the buyer.

    2. Put together a Renovation estimate including pictures and pointed the visible issues. 

    3. I put together a financial summary for the property. 

    4. Free of charge for this one. Just wanted to build a relationship with the cash buyer.  

    To sum this up i told another wholesaler what i did and he said i did not have to do all that work. Do you think some wholesalers are confused about this type of business?

    wholesaling and the first deal i looked i spent many hours putting together the reno cost, 

     How successful is this “other wholesaler”? Is this other wholesaler doing his or her deals legally? Before you take advice from someone, check where that advice is coming from and how valid it is. I think most wholesalers go about it wrong and most do it illegally, hence the start of this thread so many years ago to help educate as many as possible. Some will argue and keep doing what they are doing, but in the end, the ones that stay on the legal side and perform the most value for their buyers and sellers will ultimately prosper the most.

  • Specialist · Purcellville, VA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 841 votes
    6y

    @Walter Correia,

    Some wholesalers will do just enough to determine if it's a good deal or not, and some will go the extra mile. (And some don't have a clue, but that's a whole different discussion.)  It's admirable to go the extra mile, but understand that the end buyer will run their own numbers and not trust yours.  At least if they know what they're doing.  They shouldn't trust your numbers.  But, if they come to know you and learn they can trust your numbers, that's a good thing.

    I personally would have charged a reasonable fee.  Not to be greedy, but you need to be compensated for your hard work, and they first deals are the hardest to come by.  Not only that, but the best way to build a good relationship with buyers is to bring them good deals.  That's more important to them than anything else.

  • Wholesaler · Redding, CA · Member since 2015 · 218 posts · 27 votes
    6y

    So wholesalers, what's the best and most honest way you tell your sellers what you're doing?? How straight forward are you?

  • Specialist · Purcellville, VA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 841 votes
    6y

    @Paul Fagot,

    Total honesty.  Though this level of detail doesn't come up unless we have been talking for a while.  At the start, I don't ask about buying their house, I ask about them selling.  Of course, that's if the call is a cold call.  If they reached out to me, it's already understood that they want to sell.

    When we get there, I say that I work with a lot of other local investors who are looking for properties like this.  They want to fix them up and either sell them or keep them for rentals.  Of course, they're looking to make a profit.  At this point, I generally get a confirmation from the seller indicating they understand and that clearly businesses need to make a profit.  I had someone recently ask if I was an agent, at which point I said no.  She also asked what my fee was, and I said that I work that out with the ultimate buyer, and that I would enter into a sales contract with her for a given price, and that that was what she would get.  No fees, closing costs, etc.  The price we agree on is the price she will get.  And of course we'd going into this in more detail when we review the contract.

  • Wholesaler · Redding, CA · Member since 2015 · 218 posts · 27 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Barry Pekin:

    @Paul Fagot,

    Total honesty.  Though this level of detail doesn't come up unless we have been talking for a while.  At the start, I don't ask about buying their house, I ask about them selling.  Of course, that's if the call is a cold call.  If they reached out to me, it's already understood that they want to sell.

    When we get there, I say that I work with a lot of other local investors who are looking for properties like this.  They want to fix them up and either sell them or keep them for rentals.  Of course, they're looking to make a profit.  At this point, I generally get a confirmation from the seller indicating they understand and that clearly businesses need to make a profit.  I had someone recently ask if I was an agent, at which point I said no.  She also asked what my fee was, and I said that I work that out with the ultimate buyer, and that I would enter into a sales contract with her for a given price, and that that was what she would get.  No fees, closing costs, etc.  The price we agree on is the price she will get.  And of course we'd going into this in more detail when we review the contract.

    Thanks again Barry! thats the best advice ive gotten on this forum so far all ive read are agents and wholesalers going at each other back and forth back and forth! I appreciate that! 

  • Specialist · Purcellville, VA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 841 votes
    6y

    Hi @Paul Fagot,

    I'm glad to help in whatever way I can.  It frustrates me when discussions are hijacked and turned into a fight.

    Agents do have a legitimate beef against a number of wholesalers who don't act with respect and honesty.  Wholesalers justifiably get upset with agents that lump everyone into that group.  When the discussion gets out of hand, I focus elsewhere and keep working on my business.

    I wish you success.  Just remember... honesty and respect.  We're here to help, and when we're not the best option, we help in other ways like providing good information or referring to other professionals if that helps.

  • Wholesaler · Redding, CA · Member since 2015 · 218 posts · 27 votes
    6y

    @Barry Pekin now when you market or advertise out to your list, let's say Direct mail, FB advertisements or door hangers whatever the strategy you rock with is, what do you normally say? like the normal "We buy houses" or do you change it up to say something different. I just don't feel like that sounds right when it says "WE" since its really someone else buying it and not both of us. 

  • Specialist · Purcellville, VA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 841 votes
    6y

    @Paul Fagot,

    First, I target the marketing to the situation.  Currently, that's empty nesters (older people with lots of equity who may be looking to downsize), and out-of-state owners.  My message is modified to consider their situation.

    I don't have my mailing handy, so I don't recall 100%, but I don't hesitate to refer to me (currently a single-person company) as we, or say that "we buy houses", when I don't currently buy houses.  I'm totally comfortable saying these things because I'm the tip of a network of hundreds of investors.  And when I talk to them, I let them know that.  So, yes.  We (me and all of the people I work with) do buy houses.

    You can't expect a postcard or 30 second introductory conversation to go into the details and nuances of specifically how you do what you do.  That gets discussed when the conversation warrants it.

  • Wholesaler · Redding, CA · Member since 2015 · 218 posts · 27 votes
    6y

    @Barry Pekin well since you put it that way, I agree with you and what you're saying! that makes sense!

  • Specialist · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2012 · 462 posts · 294 votes
    6y

    The correct term should always be "we"... Considering you're the wholesaler. Not to mention, your buyers is part of your network. That alone implies " we".

    The only caveat to saying "We Buy Houses" is you have other competitors and companies that use this term. 

    So, I would believe you are advertising for them in a way. Especially, if they Google the term.

    Maybe come up with a unique way to advertise your message. 

    Some other ways, "Behind on your Home Payments?", " Problem Home?", "Motivated Seller?", " Facing Foreclosure?"... And proceed to, Call ###-###-###, etc.

    Hopefully, that makes sense.

    "Big" Henry

  • Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2020 · 55 posts · 8 votes
    6y

    Just my two cents, but it seems like there are a lot of people thinking they can make a quick dollar wholesaling without setting up the proper systems: knowing rehab, creating connections in your target markets, creating a buyers list. That's what my business partner and I are doing. We are networking, and we are very honest about our experience. Some people will blow us off or others will help us out. We aren't greedy either and are always willing to give back to those who help us. I think that is the best policy. 

  • Member since 2018 · 37 posts · 5 votes
    6y

    Good evening folks. What are your pro thoughts here? I picked up a parcel in Georgetown DE, which I assigned to a builder. I used the builder's attorney to run title work.. Title work comes back dirty with heir and court of chancery problems, according to the attorney. I relate this back to seller, and he explodes in frustration. Seller says it cannot be possible his title is dirty, because the same heirs involved in my assignment deal, are the same heirs involved in another active sale he's got. I keep telling him what my buyer's attorney related to me, but seller wants proof. 

    What proof can i give him being , the attorney handling title work is not my attorney, but my buyer's?

    It sounds like I am shortcoming myself by using my buyer's attorney (even though he was my coach and we have done many deals before)...am i not?

    What are your recommendations?

    What would you do in my shoes? 

    The buyer attorney keeps recommending that seller gets an estate attorney, and seller demands a description of the problem to go fix it.

    Thanks again for the amazing community you folks built! Stay safe!

    Austin. 

  • Specialist · Purcellville, VA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 841 votes
    6y

    @Austin Jay Toniolo,

    You should use your own title attorney, but have you been able to talk to your buyer/coach or the attorney to get a description of the problem?  It seems if they can't provide that, there's something shady going on.  I would talk to your buyer and explain that they're making the deal harder if they can't work with you.  If they still won't cooperate, go to another title attorney and get the picture that way.

  • Member since 2018 · 37 posts · 5 votes
    6y

    @Barry Pekin The buyer attorney mentioned the title company cannot insure it due to inability to prove some of the heirs associated with the subject property. Also, the property came up on the court of chancery with a possible judgement on one of 22 heirs associated with the sale. What else would you ask for, and is this sufficient? 

  • Specialist · Purcellville, VA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 841 votes
    6y

    Hi @Austin Jay Toniolo,

    Actually, that sounds like sufficient information to determine how to proceed.

    Armed with that information, I would go back to the seller and explain just that.  (1) They can't prove some of the heirs associated with the property.  For me, I would get a little clarification of exactly what that means so I could explain it to the seller.  For example, does that mean there is at least one person listed as an heir that might not actually be one?  (2) There is a possible judgement on one of the heirs.  I would also get clarification on what that means so I could explain it to the seller.  But I think that means that if that judgement goes through, then they can attach a lean of some sort against the property.

    22 heirs is a lot of heirs. I've heard stories of 5 or 6, and what a complete headache that can be. If there are 22, then you need to get ownership resolved and/or enter into an agreement with all 22 heirs. Many people (including myself) look at real estate as an opportunity to find creative solutions. This was certainly seems to need some creativity. To be honest, I would approach someone in the REI community that has a great deal more experience with situations like this in order to get some advice or assistance.

  • Member since 2018 · 37 posts · 5 votes
    6y

    @Barry Pekin THANK YOU SO MUCH BARRY FOR THE INFO!! 

  • Specialist · Cape Coral, FL · Member since 2019 · 16 posts · 3 votes
    6y

    @Morris Lucas

    That’s not some experience, that is common sense if the house is in that big of a mess.

  • Specialist · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2012 · 462 posts · 294 votes
    6y

    WHOLESALING IS DEAD?!?

    A message and lesson from your friendly ally from San Antonio, Texas:

    Let me first preface, this is going to be a VERY LONG READ... I am hoping to accomplish by adding value in what I share. Everyone has their perspective… There is more than one way to skin a deal, however, I have been around the block many times over and this is just my take on the subject.

    There are things that must be said, because somewhere along the way, a few rules have become skewed and many times it seems as though there is an elephant in the room that no one wants to address.

    I have been in this real estate arena (see my short bio) for quite a while now and have contributed to this original post specifically on a few occasions. I may not know everything, but I know what I know and I know what I don’t know… If that is even worth two cents.

    With that said, let me give you the REAL TRUTH ABOUT WHOLESALING.

    Let us see if we can get to some of the truths in the aspect of the business.

    Can wholesaling be done legally? Yes.

    Can you make a living at it? Yes, however it depends on, at what level, market, and scale you want to desire to.

    For the majority who provide wholesaling, it can fill in the gaps.

    Are many wholesalers dishonest?

    I believe, quite a few are, but most are either inexperienced or just do not want to put in the work by educating themselves as they should.

    In this business, Joker Brokers and Daisy Chains are forbidden.

    In other words, not conducting the due diligence needed to capture "real" deals is like the blind leading the blind.

    What good is your grind if it is done in blind?

    There are some excellent wholesalers, however just not enough.

    So, who is to blame?

    Is it the inexperienced investors or the over-promising inexperienced wholesalers or the calculated greedy wholesalers?

    I am giving you a perspective from all sides, but there is no other side I will empathize with more than the investor.

    I am not an attorney; however, I am a Real Estate Investor and a Realtor.

    I have experience in most aspects of real estate, primarily as an investor.

    The examples I provide below may be adjusted based on market and numbers... Sometimes a deal is contingent on the terms, circumstances, or exit.

    Let us begin.

    There are advertisements that state, "Wholesaling is dead!".

    There are also, a plethora of videos that will provide an incomplete break down and process of the analysis of a so-called deal.

    To set this up… Imagine a wannabe baker trying to bake a cake, yet in their recipe, they leave out the eggs & sugar... When it comes time to sell you this phenomenal “chance of a lifetime” cake, they fail to mention, their cake is incomplete. However, they are willing to wholesale this cake to a potential customer who could sell or share it with other clients, customers, family, or friends. At the end of this story, the customer learns very quickly, they bought a dud and eventually have egg on their face.

    What many investors are typically seeking who fix & flip, are profits ranging between 20% to 30% on each deal. Some will even need 35% to 40%, usually contingent on their Hard Money Lenders (H.M.L.).

    Does it mean that it is true for all investors? Of course not.

    It may also depend on their exit strategy, most importantly their cost of money such as Hard Money vs. Private vs. Liquid vs. Group Funding vs. Inheritance vs. Line of Credit, etc.

    The cost of money will typically determine what an investor's threshold is when it comes to investing.

    If a buy & hold strategy is the intention, then profits may be as low as 10% and under. It truly depends on the rehab amount (if any), rent rates, the market, and the population/demographics of the area.

    Now when using the 70% Rule, a rule that many investors use, adhering to this rule will most likely, cushion the deal providing that protection first, then profit.

    Now there are strategies that may omit the 70% rule.

    Here is an example of when a 70% rule becomes obsolete:

    A person comes to me and says he owns a home with a $100K note on it. Through my due diligence, its Fair Market Value (F.M.V.) is comp'd at an average of $100K, and the rent rates comp out at approximately $1K/month. He is being deployed elsewhere and wants to get rid of the mortgage. I may negotiate a Sub 2 with Zero money down and take over payments.

    But NO EQUITY-NO PROFIT?!!!?

    Now, this seems to break my rule based on the following…

    • Pretty house? Check!
    • Motivated seller? Check!
    • Flexible seller? Check!
    • Meets at minimum, the 1% rule. Check!

    This deal looks much better, yet maybe I decide to eventually sell it to a buyer who may have less than perfect credit and who can place a 10% to 20% down payment. Maybe I decide to sell it by increasing the sale's price (based on future appreciation) @ $110K to $120K... I can make quick money upfront, I can create a note that is several percentage points above the original interest rate and make the spread, and if there is a difference in balance (equity created), then I can collect those funds on the refinance... And so on.

    The point is when using creative financing techniques, then I can break that rule. Why? Because I have a motivated and flexible seller who although has no equity, is willing to make the deal happen. Especially, a little to no money down deal.

    Now my #1 rule is finding sellers who are motivated and flexible first, then the numbers.

    You could have the best deal with the best numbers, but if the seller is firm or hard to work with, the deal may be dead in the water.

    Yet, on the other hand, the numbers with little to no equity may be similar to the example above.

    The key is motivation & flexibility.

    However, I typically abide by the 70% Rule. Some will scoff at this rule of thumb... Not I.

    Can I adjust it? Sure.

    It is contingent on the circumstance and investment side of it... As in, the amount of time, money, and energy I invest in.

    The problem is today’s markets are saturated with newbie investors who eventually will end up buying a lot of these bad deals.

    This is what I call, the "Circle of Flaw".

    Let's dive further into this 70% rule...

    There are way too many wholesalers who are using in what I call and coin the "Millennial" 70% Rule vs. 1990s aka "Old School" 70% Rule.

    Millennial Rule: Many if not most new wholesalers will minus Repairs and their Fee-only from the ARV.

    What is the next step? Well they will get newbies to nibble on the bait, who many will eventually bite on those deals.

    Who is to blame? Maybe it is a seasoned wholesaler who is preying on the new investor and fluffing up a deal that otherwise, no one would buy. Maybe it's the newbie investor not conducting the due diligence or worse, not educating oneself to see those red flag deals.

    Unfortunately, this is not what seasoned investors are searching for who are typically flippers.

    Now with that said, there are investors who may exceed +/- the 70% rule. An example would be, buy & hold investors whose money is at a lower cost.

    The truth of the matter is if you are a wholesaler who has integrity and once you have a solid group of buyers on your digital Rolodex; you should learn their cost of money.

    This will assist in which deals should be delivered to each investor. This will increase your chances of closing at a much higher rate.

    The bottom line, here in the example below is the 1990's version of the 70% rule:

    • Profit is minus 30% from A.R.V. (may also include protection within cushion)
    • Holding Costs is up to 6 months (P.I.T.I. + Utilities: electricity, heating, water, and garbage. - up to 6%)
    • Acquisition & Sales costs (Closing Costs between 2%-5% & Commission up to 6% = between 8%-11%) which equates to approximately 47%.

    I use this 47% formula and minus repairs on most deals to get my Maximum Allowable Offer (M.A.O.).

    Could I use a 50% formula? Yes. However, it will be much more difficult to find deals that can meet that threshold. Keep in mind, repairs must be subtracted post-application of % you take from A.R.V.

    Could I use a 37% formula? Yes

    Now onto the example below…

    Please Note: Example does not include seller concessions or discounts on sale's price, which for the investor, may become a burden if the original deal was not negotiated with that in mind. Subtracting 10% for retail sale closing costs and or concessions may be a good practice, as most buyers will not pay 100% of listing price during a steady or buyer’s market ( slow season), or if it is in a so-so location, or of the poor condition of the property or as with recent circumstances today (w/CoVid 19).

    Again, it depends on various factors including your market and you should know this before making an offer.

    "You make your money when you buy/negotiate the deal/property, not when you sell it"

    The quick & dirty formula I created I use the majority of the time is as follows:

    ARV - 47% - Repair Costs (if a wholesaler? Then minus fee) =

    Maximum Allowable Offer (M.A.O.) *

    JUST FOR ILLUSTRATION PURPOSES ONLY.

    I.E. Distressed Property:

    $150,000 (ARV)

    -

    47% (30% = Profit + 6% = Holding costs + 11% = Acquisition & Sales costs)

    =

    $79,500 (subtotal)

    -

    $29,500 (I.e. Repairs)

    =

    $50,000 (subtotal)

    -

    $10,000 (Wholesale Fee - May have to be adjusted) **

    =

    $40,000 (M.A.O.) ***

    =======

    * The 47% (includes 30% profit) may be adjusted to a 20% profit instead... If repairs are not too extensive (as in no majors .i.e. Roof, Plumbing, Electrical, Foundation, or HVAC sometimes an entire Flooring can equate to major cost), or maybe there are other intangibles which make this worth the risk. I will then adjust my formula to a possibly 37%.

    ** Trying to kill two birds with one stone. From a wholesaler's P.O.V. (yet, it is a fee I normally deal with considering I find most of my own deals... Yet, I'll incorporate it in this example as if I was the wholesaler).

    *** If we use the millennial method, we will be off 17%. Not to mention, that M.A.O. should include Cash for Keys costs (in the event the property is in distress and the owner is needing motivation).

    When a wholesaler has a "REAL DEAL", it will be extremely easy to sell.

    Most importantly, your reputation will continue to grow as this is an exceedingly small arena, we are in the real estate business.

    Once you (the wholesaler/investor) have FIXED and FLIPPED a few properties... This coaching provided should definitely hit home and make sense.

    Unfortunately, many wholesalers, and there are a lot of them... Are looking for just a payday and will do anything to get ahead. Even if it means they are willing to crack 100 eggs just to make one scrabbled egg (not an omelet).

    This goes for Wholesalers, Investors, Realtors, and my favorite; sub-contractors who are many, seem to always try to find a way to con someone out of their money while doing shoddy work.

    The point: Try working with people you trust. It will be incredibly challenging to say the least, otherwise.

    Again, the primary purpose is to educate all parties involved.

    Look, if you have a shark swimming in the waters and there are poachers dangling rotten fish in the shallows with blood oozing from its gills... The shark will make its way to investigate and possibly interact if it is starving. But if it is a seasoned shark and it understands the shallows has the potential to beach it. Then the risk most likely will not be worth it.

    Let's use a young killer whale in the same scenario. It may be willing to take more risks... Result: It gets beached and now it is at the mercy of its environment struggling to stay alive.

    Now is it the party's fault who purposely play in the waters hanging their nets with bleeding fish-attracting these inexperienced whales?

    Maybe. It depends. Usually, they will rationalize it as “trying to feed” their families.

    So, who is to blame?

    The problem is the markets are saturated with newbie investors and they end up buying a lot of these bad deals resulting in the "Circle of Flaw" which is repeated over and over again.

    Most wholesalers (not all) usually don't know what they're doing and continue to sell or try to sell mostly bad deals to inexperienced real estate investors who are itching to close a deal.

    Their greed for that big payday many times is actually more than the other parties involved are making in the deal.

    You can always tell what kind of deal it is when it is discounted by the thousands upon thousands when the "so-called deal" has not sold or when they are running out of time.

    Let me place it in another light. Most businesses in one way or another, wholesale.

    Yes, I love capitalism, but at what cost? Is it every man or woman for themselves, or should it be all parties winning?

    If I buy a pallet of water or toilet paper during a crisis and shortage, and I charge five to ten times the typical amount normally charged, I would be crucified on the entire internet.

    My point, there are many wholesalers, some out of ignorance who have learned through YouTube (some channels), Social Media (i.e. Facebook Groups), or through other parties regurgitating bad info.

    Then there are the others who are like used-car salespersons who see an opportunity to capitalize at the expense of the inexperienced.

    So, who's to blame?

    Maybe the onus is on both... But remember my water/toilet paper example.

    I regress...

    With that said, there is another 70% rule mentioned that is now making the waves on the internet. It will take the "Millennial" 70% Rule... With the wholesaler going back to the seller a few days later to renegotiate an additional $15K off the deal.

    Apparently, the $15K below the skewed M.A.O. is for two reasons... Cushion and padding of the wholesale fee.

    This may work on some occasions, especially if it is just cosmetics... However, if you have a house that at minimum needs to replace and repair entire floors, it still may not be enough of a cushion.

    Another occasion it may work is when A) the buyer does buy & holds, which even though the numbers may be skewed, the rents may offset the so-so deal and/or B) the repairs are less than 15% of the A.R.V... preferably closer to 10% and under. Outside of that, the deal most likely is a very painful lesson for the inexperienced investor.

    The bottom line, you want to close deals with integrity, and with a positive reputation.

    In other words, incorporate all the numbers otherwise, you will end up only closing a deal or so often because your contracts are not real deals, or those investors will spread the word.

    Greedy Wholesalers! You know who you are. If you are stacking and smashing that wholesale fee (great for capitalism) but at the expense of a new inexperienced investor (shame on you) ... May your repeat and referral business be limited.

    I have crossed paths with a plethora of investors who break even after three to six months of work or worse, even buy (initial purchase) into a distressed position (upside down) losing money immediately. Ultimately, doing so forces their hand of not being able to refi terms and/or cash out.

    I still believe you should adhere to the Old School 70% rule for rehabs that are not easy and/or labor-intensive.

    If your cost of money allows for an 80% deal (a true layup light rehab), then go for it.

    If you are a new wholesaler or investor, solidify and secure a vetted GC/sub-contractor relationship... Especially, those who are willing to bid on projects in detail outlining the pros and cons of the rehab.

    The 70% rule is not the end all be all, however, it is the maximum rule I still use to remain safe. Regardless if it is a cupcake rehab of a property.

    Another thing for an investor to consider: What if any, is the next exit strategy if the first exit strategy falls apart or doesn't come to fruition?

    The market can shift. Hence, the Corona Virus, a great case in point.

    I know of real stories where the market shifted and investor friends of mine had their money tied up for years. Yes, there are options to release the money, but real estate financing still evolves.

    What if the Federal Reserve increases interest rates...?

    Would that shift the market? Absolutely!

    What if lenders (investor-driven) tighten up their guidelines due to uncertain circumstances?

    Sound familiar?

    The point for me is, "Greed Kill Deals"!

    Please, make a fair profit and build that relationship with those buyers.

    Now let us look at this from another angle… Does the wholesaler have the right to earn a living? Absolutely!

    However, greed suffocates deals that may have little to no meat on the bones.

    It all comes down to using the numbers to create a win-win deal for all parties involved.

    Let's go a step further... Assume in an extreme hypothetical: A wholesaler found a pretty property for $1.00 (one dollar) & it had an A.R.V. of $200K. Let's also presume the property is in a healthy market and decent location and the wholesaler wanted to sell it to me for $100K...

    Would I buy it?

    Hell, to the yeah, I would!!!!

    Is that greed?!? No… That is love!!!

    Now on the other hand, if a wannabe wholesaler is trying to sell you, a bad deal that supposedly meets the 70% rule, when in fact, it is a 100% dud... Then, that is greed/ignorance and that kind of play will not get very far in this business.

    As mentioned earlier, I'm a buyer, and even if you have a "decent" deal today, yet previously, you brought me a bad deal after a bad deal, more than likely, I am going to pass on your decent deal.

    Why?

    I cannot trust your integrity. I don’t base it on just the numbers. I do my own research and conduct my own due diligence... Integrity is based on reputation and patterns. If a greedy wholesaler has a pattern of padding the comps or numbers, it is over in my book.

    Relationships, relationships, relationships!

    That is going to make you consistent money all day most days.

    Here was a post I came across on a Facebook Group that wrapped it up in a nutshell:

    ------------------

    The problems with wholesalers - From a cash buyer's perspective.

    First let me preface this post by saying that I’m not trying to knock this profession! I am posting it to help you all better understand how to bring value to your cash buyers, and thereby form better working relationships (and accordingly make more money for you BOTH).

    I am a cash buyer and get approached by wholesalers with “deals” all the time. Why the quotation marks? Because 99% of these deals are not deals!

    Why is that?

    Here are some possibilities.

    1: Your ARV is wrong.

    You absolutely must understand how to run comps and adjust to come up with a competent estimate of ARV. When you have it, do NOT pad it to make it rosier when you send the offer out to your cash buyers. They will know! This makes it look like you either do not know what you're doing (not good) or that you're intentionally trying to mislead your potential buyers (also not good).

    2: Your repair costs are wrong.

    You absolutely must understand the costs involved in rehabbing a property. If you can find an investor willing to allow you to shadow them for the full duration of a flip or two (or ten), do this! I can guarantee you that there are a hundred things that go wrong (and all cost money) that you never would have even dreamed of if you haven’t been through the process.

    3: You don’t understand the other frictional costs involved with selling a property.

    I spent some time a couple of days ago explaining to a wholesaler why selling a property for $450k when you’re into it $370k does not net you $80k. Commissions, escrow fees, title fees, transfer taxes, etc. all eat away at this margin significantly. Once again, when you send out property offerings with profit projections that don’t account for these things, it makes it sound like you don’t understand the process, or that you hope that your buyer doesn’t understand the process. You need to paint a real picture, or you lose all credibility.

    4: You attempt to take all the juice (meat) out of the deal with your assignment/wholesale fee.

    The service you provide is valuable, but attempting to make as much (or more) on the deal as your buyer who is putting up tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars, remodeling the property over months and then selling the property over months more, all the while with their capital at risk and subject to market forces, is not going to fly.

    In short, you need to know when a deal is a deal and produce honest and competent estimates so I know when you call to present me with a “deal”, that it’s actually going to be worth my time to pick up the phone. Throwing a bunch of crap at the wall and seeing what sticks is not a strategy that’s going to work with serious buyers. We have too much going on to weed through the 99 out of 100 duds that get presented to us and will quickly just stop taking the calls / reading the emails. You need to be that filter for us!

    Do this well, and your calls will be cheerfully received every time (and you will sell all your offerings).

    ------------------

    This post is similar to what I preach daily, and the primary purpose is to educate not only the investors, but the wholesalers as well.

    My main objective is to bridge that gap so we have better practices and more educated wholesalers who do want to earn an honest living.

    Lastly, Is Wholesaling Dead? Of course not. We just need to make sure we are all on the same page, otherwise, we will keep missing the mark. Please, no more “Circle of Flaw.”

    I hope this helps and assists you on your journey in real estate. It can be fun, but it is always hard work, even when you have systems in place.

    Please like or vote if you agree with most of this… If you have any questions or would like to make suggestions, please feel free to add below or message me anytime.

    Your Real Estate Ally,

    “Big” Henry
    San Antonio, Texas

    Sorry, Will Barnard for this long one... But you know it has been a while since I've added my two pesos.

  • Investor · New York City, NY · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 269 votes
    6y

    @Will Barnard

    Excellent post. I think every new wholesaler and existing wholesaler should read this. 

  • Realtor · Dallas - Fort Worth Metroplex, TX · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 925 votes
    6y

    @Will Barnard. This just popped up in my feed.

    The sad thing is, my experience today of “most” wholesalers is exactly the same as what you wrote about 10 years ago.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.