The Truth about Wholesaling!

The Truth about Wholesaling!

Will BarnardPro Member
Moderator
Developer · Santa Clarita, CA · Member since 2008 · 15k+ posts · 10k+ votes

There are so many people and companies out there who claim to be wholesalers and many more newbies who claim to want to start out in wholesaling as a means to get started in the biz.

Let me tell you about a recent experience with a so-called wholesale deal: You be the judge too!
A property was offered to me as a wholesale purchase.
It was offered at $270k with only $10k in rehab (so claimed the wholesaler) and the exit value they provided was $350k. With these numbers, the deal is at 80% of value which is pretty much the most I could pay. I explained that the exit price appeared to be on the high side (just from my expert knowledge of the area) and that $10k in rehab is pretty rare. I was then told that they may be willing to sell to me at $260k (so obviously they had at least $20k in mark-up at their OG price, which by the way is fine if the deal had a good spread, this one was bare)
With that reduction in mind, I went to the property.
It was very close to the freeway and the freeway noise could be heard quite loudly from the yard and slightly from the inside with all doors closed. This decreases values some what. Next, I found that the condition of the property was no where close to $10k in minor rehab. The kitchen had no place for a refrigerator with the current layout and it was poorly designed. The cabinets appeared to be newer, but done cheap and laid out poorly. The countertops needed replacement to granite, and new kitchen appliances. All flooring needed to be replaced, there was some foundation issues from the earthquake of 94' (Northridge quake), the bathroom was in need of a full gut and rehab new, all bedrooms needed new light fixtures, closet doors, and some electrical upgrades, plus the driveway needed to be re-surfaced and the chain-link fence removed and replaced with a more appropriate wood fencing for curb appeal. Both interior and exterior needed paint, and all windows should be replaced new (requiring some minor stucco repairs as well.)
After my evaluation, it was determined that the exit value was $300k ($319k as the max high list point) and the rehab was $30k and could be $35k.
At a $260k purchase and $30k rehab with $310k exit, this deal is at 93.5% As such, it is an oxymoron to use the word deal to describe this investment. I only pray that some sucker does not get screwed on this property.

The moral of the story: To be a true wholesaler, you must give out true and accurate figures, otherwise you make a bad name for yourself.

To be a true wholesaler you need these 3 main ingredients:
1. The ability to contract RE at great discounts.
2. The ability to build a real buyer's list (real cash buyers with a real proof of funds)
3. Ability to evaluate your market and ability to peg rehab numbers. Both of these require a vast knowledge of the local market conditions and the know-how to quote repair items.
Without ALL 3 of these items, you CAN NOT be a successful wholesaler.
To add a 4th item, you should be honest, provide accurate numbers, and provide as much due diligence to your potential buyers as possible. This will allow you to keep your buyers coming back for more deals.

669Reply
10,251 views

Most Popular Reply

Member since 2010 · 16 posts · 124 votes
15y

Maybe they are a new company that have ambition but lack some experience in evaluation. I hope you left the same results you described in your post on their website or emailed them what you found. Maybe it will give them some insight as to what to do/not to do before putting another property like this on the market. All of us begin making dumb mistakes and misjudgements, it's only bad when we ignore feedback from those who can offer wisdom.

See this reply in the discussion

911 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • San Antonio, TX · Member since 2021 · 25 posts · 10 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Nemi W.:

    WOW! It's good to hear the reality.

    As a Wholesaler, I do believe I may have been headed toward becoming a victim of "one of those gurus" who say prepare to be wealthy and there's nothing to it.

    I guess that's why I've been a little dissappointed in my results. The expectations were WAY too high.

    The unfortunate thing about wholesaling is that I don't hear from investors enough, or they are very protective of their knowledge and expertise. Investors typically say "no thanks" to the deal, but don't give the kind of feedback that's been given here. While I know it's not their job to do so, and it's fair that I go through some of the same challenging times they went through (or DIDN'T go through) it is so so appreciated when genuine feedback is offered...thanks Will, Charles, and the rest of you.

    I'm also glad there are those out there like Morris, who realize some are just starting out and are practicing what they may have learned.

    I'll definitely take heed to these comments because I only want to sell a quality product/service!

    I wonder if many wholesalers feel the same way...


     As a wholesaler myself I have personally run into investors turning me down before I can even show the deals or explain anything. I WANT to build profitable relationships with investors in every aspect. I don't want to waste any ones time and I don't want my time wasted. With clear communication and feedback I feel like a good wholesale agent CAN and WILL be a beneficial part of any investment team. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.