• Real Estate Investor
  • Winter Park, FL
Votes |
Results of 1st visit to Courthouse for Probate Leads

Nemi W.
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Winter Park, FL
Posted Dec 30 2010, 05:46

I'm excited about taking the first step and figured I'd share!!

Upon walking in and asking for open probate files, I expected a confused look, a "well you can't have them because...", or a "be more specific". Interestingly, I didn't expect "why?".

I skirted around this question without saying "I'm look for homes to buy" : )

Here are some other things I didn't expect:

1. Having to pay $1/per pg for a Preliminary Report, before seeing the actual files.
2. Being told I have to give a 24-48 hr notice in writing before seeing some of the actual files.
3. Being told there are over 3,000 open files!

Here's what I managed to accomplish:

1. Identified 36 specific cases on the Prel Rep that I wanted to further review (Had $$ in the Estimated Value of Estate column).
2. Was able to review the actual files of 5 of those.
3. Identified 4 decent leads.
4. Submitted the above referenced notice in writing for the other 31.
5. Became quite familiar with about 10 Forms/Documents found in the files.

What I still need to know for the next visit and to streamline the process from the court visit to finding a motivated seller:

1. If there's no Real Property listed under "Nature of Assets" nor calculated into the "Estimated Estate Value", could there still be real property owned?
2. Is the Attorney for Petitioner the same as the Attorney most speak of when suggesting contacting/not contacting the Attorney?
3. I was given the Report for files filed in November. Do I want to bother with these? Is it too early being that the death occured around 2 months ago?

I spent 3 hrs there today to come up with 4 cases where real property is owned. I plan on going back Monday to get more leads; I expect time spent/lead will be significantly shorter. Then I'll have to begin sending letters or calling.

Hopefully this will help someone on the fence about visiting the courthouse. If anyone would like to chime in on what I still have to learn, feel free to do so. I would love to hear your thoughts!

Loading replies...