Direct Mail Marketing & Wholesaling

3 Replies

Hello BiggerPockets!

I am looking to launch my first direct mail campaign and wanted to get your thoughts on what could work best?

My thoughts are that I would purchase 5000 postcards where I would send out 1000 postcards per week for 5 weeks.

My question is firstly, is it best to shotgun it and hit every home off of specific routes or do you think purchasing a specified list via listsource.com increases my chances of success in finding the right deal?

Really any tips or pointers for a newby as myself would be appreciated as I take a shot at this. 

Thank you!

Joe Runals

Originally posted by @Joseph Runals :

Hello BiggerPockets!

I am looking to launch my first direct mail campaign and wanted to get your thoughts on what could work best?

My thoughts are that I would purchase 5000 postcards where I would send out 1000 postcards per week for 5 weeks.

My question is firstly, is it best to shotgun it and hit every home off of specific routes or do you think purchasing a specified list via listsource.com increases my chances of success in finding the right deal?

Really any tips or pointers for a newby as myself would be appreciated as I take a shot at this. 

Thank you!

Joe Runals

Hi Joe, good to meet you.

Dont blanket mail... It works great for pizza and hair salons but for real estate you will want to pull a specific list. 

Whether you are assigning, wholesaling, wholetailing fix n’ flipping or holding finding the motivated seller is paramount.

Here is the list I like.

• 30 Plus % of equity
  • 5 plus years of home ownership
  • No corporations
  • No trusts unless in a high trust state
  • Single Family Residences
  • Accessed value not to exceed the area’s median home value.
  • Absentee out of state owners

Because this list is typically small, mainly due to the filter of out of state absentee owners, I will add this list as well.

• 30 Plus % of equity
  • 5 plus years of home ownership
  • No corporations
  • No trusts unless in a high trust state
  • Single Family Residences
  • Accessed value not to exceed the area’s median home value.
  • 50% Absentee
  • 50% Owner Occupied

If my budget was such that I could send to all home owners then I wouldn’t care what percentage of absentees to owner occupied there are.

Once I have the list I would market to it 6 months in a row using six different mail pieces. At the end of the six months I would rerun the list and start over.

The pieces I would send are letter, small text PC, letter, large text PC, letter and finally a zipletter.