D4D? Do you qualify houses before sending postcard?

10 Replies

Just wondering what the best technique is when driving for dollars. Do you automatically send postcard if you are using DealMachine or similar type app when you find what appears to be distressed home? Or do you first qualify using propstreams or some other database? Just thinking it could be a waste of money to send direct mail campaign to homes that are underwater or have no equity if I am looking to wholesale. On the other hand... time is money and I know all the data in propstreams isn't correct, so may be better to see if you get call back from direct mail. Just starting our looking for wholesale deals so trying to figure out what is most effective.

What is your strategy?

Originally posted by @Brad Brynteson :

Just wondering what the best technique is when driving for dollars. Do you automatically send postcard if you are using DealMachine or similar type app when you find what appears to be distressed home? Or do you first qualify using propstreams or some other database? Just thinking it could be a waste of money to send direct mail campaign to homes that are underwater or have no equity if I am looking to wholesale. On the other hand... time is money and I know all the data in propstreams isn't correct, so may be better to see if you get call back from direct mail. Just starting our looking for wholesale deals so trying to figure out what is most effective.

What is your strategy?

Calling them directly is the most effective when D4D. Use truepeople to look up the numbers and call them up.

There's no reason to not try to prequalify.... there's too much data out there, to not at the very least narrow down to the last sale date, property type, homestead-y/n, if it's in one of the new-fangled city affordable housing plans or not... the list goes on and on.

Go to the county website that you are prospecting in, and look in the 'open data' section for the parcel/tax dataset. If it's not there, CALL the county GIS dept and ask about getting it. It's rare that a county will not provide this if requested. They'll usually provide the full owner, last sale info, and tax/assessor too for rough equity guesses.........

Originally posted by @Greg Dickerson :
Originally posted by @Brad Brynteson:

Just wondering what the best technique is when driving for dollars. Do you automatically send postcard if you are using DealMachine or similar type app when you find what appears to be distressed home? Or do you first qualify using propstreams or some other database? Just thinking it could be a waste of money to send direct mail campaign to homes that are underwater or have no equity if I am looking to wholesale. On the other hand... time is money and I know all the data in propstreams isn't correct, so may be better to see if you get call back from direct mail. Just starting our looking for wholesale deals so trying to figure out what is most effective.

What is your strategy?

Calling them directly is the most effective when D4D. Use truepeople to look up the numbers and call them up.

Thanks Greg, I was not aware of truepeople. I check it out.

Originally posted by @Joe Balber:

There's no reason to not try to prequalify.... there's too much data out there, to not at the very least narrow down to the last sale date, property type, homestead-y/n, if it's in one of the new-fangled city affordable housing plans or not... the list goes on and on.

Go to the county website that you are prospecting in, and look in the 'open data' section for the parcel/tax dataset. If it's not there, CALL the county GIS dept and ask about getting it. It's rare that a county will not provide this if requested. They'll usually provide the full owner, last sale info, and tax/assessor too for rough equity guesses.........

Thanks Joe! Right now I am using propstreams to pull the data and it seems to be working pretty good. I will most likeley be pre-qualifying most of my targeted properties.

@Brad brynteson.... When you do search through them, what are you able to export? Id there is a .csv, are there columns for Lat/Long (X/Y) too or is just in a address format?

@Brad Brynteson ,

I was trying a technique from the opposite approach.  I identified several properties through PropStream in a nearby town then went D4D specifically to look at those properties.  As I was driving, I also kept an eye out for other distressed properties.

Originally posted by @Joe Balber:

@Brad brynteson.... When you do search through them, what are you able to export? Id there is a .csv, are there columns for Lat/Long (X/Y) too or is just in a address format?

Yes you can export property data in CSV but does not include lat/long, just address as well as other public record information.

Originally posted by @Barry Pekin :

@Brad Brynteson,

I was trying a technique from the opposite approach.  I identified several properties through PropStream in a nearby town then went D4D specifically to look at those properties.  As I was driving, I also kept an eye out for other distressed properties.

Great idea @Barry Perkin, I was thinking of doing the same thing.

@Brad Brynteson Sorry. Just seeing you replied... I was asking about the lat/long, just because it makes it easier to load into a mobile map app, and get the GPS to guide you on the D4D route. It's nice to be able to just load a list of leads into an app, and just set alerts to on the GPS when you are close.