Fire damage duplex advice

3 Replies

Quick answer: no. A SFH that is 2725 sq ft that cost $100K to rehab does not mean a duplex that is 2725 sq ft would cost $200K to rehab. It would likely be more expensive than a SFH as you'd need double the amount of kitchens, bathrooms, etc, but you're still only remodeling 2725 sq ft. A space that is double the size could potentially be double the cost, but just because you have double the units doesn't mean it's double the cost.

@Landon Bleau is right...it's not about the number of units but about the SF...plus add for the extra kitchen and bath(s)

And your numbers look a little light to me. I only did a couple of fire damage estimates, but I think you're looking at $150 SF or so depending on finish parameters. That puts you at around $400k for a full gut...

Originally posted by @Bruce Woodruff :

@Landon Bleau is right...it's not about the number of units but about the SF...plus add for the extra kitchen and bath(s)

And your numbers look a little light to me. I only did a couple of fire damage estimates, but I think you're looking at $150 SF or so depending on finish parameters. That puts you at around $400k for a full gut...

I would agree with this with a few caveats. The duplex likely has rental grade finishes and therefore, could be slightly less than a SFR. Not sure what area of the country you are in so labor/material costs could be lower where you are. I would say to expect $125-$150 per SF though for a full gut to the studs. The other unknown factors (not listed in your post) are if any structural framing, roof or other big ticket items are in need of replacement as well which could add to your costs per SF.

For a real and accurate answer, best to get 2-3 contractor bids.