Flood and Sewer backup insurance on rental dwelling

Flood and Sewer backup insurance on rental dwelling

Member since 2022 · 14 posts · 7 votes

Are there any insurance companies that will provide flood and sewer backup insurance on a rental dwelling? When I was living in the building I was able to obtain flood and sewer backup coverage on my homeowners policy, however once I moved out and converted the insurance to rental dwelling as required by State Farm they said that flood and sewer backup insurance are not possible. For the first time in eight years we had a very minor sewer backup during heavy rain storms recently. It didn't damage any of our tenants belongings, however the washing machines, boilers, water heaters, etc. are in the unfinished basement and to not have any type of coverage for some type of more serious backup worries me. We got a quote for a flood control system for a little over $13k and a check valve is about $6k but then the downspout in the rear of the building has to be moved out of the catch basin.

0Reply
44 views

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · Northeast PA · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    1y

    Flood insurance will be covered by your own insurance company with a rider or a separate flood policy. Or check with FEMA for guidance.

    For sewer, check with your water company; here in PA we buy sewer line protection from a provider that works with the water company.

    We are also insured for water line issues through the same sewer line issuer (above).  

    We recommend this coverage to all our management clients--it has saved them $THOUSANDs$ in repairs.

  • Tj FlorosPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Chicago · Member since 2025 · 95 posts · 74 votes
    1y

    I have State Farm and when I moved out of my house hack my flood insurance stayed in place, not sure why yours didn't, maybe you're in a flood zone and they don't want to cover it. 

    • Member since 2022 · 14 posts · 7 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Tj Floros:

      I have State Farm and when I moved out of my house hack my flood insurance stayed in place, not sure why yours didn't, maybe you're in a flood zone and they don't want to cover it. 


      Did you change your policy to rental dwelling instead of homeowners? I was told that if I failed to change it, any claims would likely be denied. The building isn't in any flood zone so it could just be something more recently implemented.

  • Owen RosenBusiness Member
    Professional · Clinton Township, MI · Member since 2015 · 678 posts · 259 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Brandon Brown:

    Are there any insurance companies that will provide flood and sewer backup insurance on a rental dwelling? When I was living in the building I was able to obtain flood and sewer backup coverage on my homeowners policy, however once I moved out and converted the insurance to rental dwelling as required by State Farm they said that flood and sewer backup insurance are not possible. For the first time in eight years we had a very minor sewer backup during heavy rain storms recently. It didn't damage any of our tenants belongings, however the washing machines, boilers, water heaters, etc. are in the unfinished basement and to not have any type of coverage for some type of more serious backup worries me. We got a quote for a flood control system for a little over $13k and a check valve is about $6k but then the downspout in the rear of the building has to be moved out of the catch basin.


     Flood insurance and sewer/drain backup are completely separate coverages.  

    Flood insurance is always written on a separate policy.  You can get flood insurance for a primary home or rental property.  Separate policy either way.

    Sewer/drain backup is typically an endorsement to the home/rental insurance policy.  Not a separate policy.

    Royal Oath Insurance Group4.9203 Reviews
  • Tj FlorosPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Chicago · Member since 2025 · 95 posts · 74 votes
    1y

    It went from home owners to a rental dwelling. I double checked and I could find the flood coverage. I know I paid extra when I first got homeowners insurance because I have a garden unit. I'll have to reach out to my insurance agent and see if I'm missing it or if it got dropped when I switched policies over a year ago. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.